Latest News: (loading..)
burt

Guest Checkout - got one on your site ?

In four years of running a site without a guest checkout, I have only been asked possibly once or twice whether I offer a guest checkout. When it came to playing with a new site setup, I decided to add a guest checkout just in case customers wanted to use it. The site is not live yet so I have no feedback, but in testing there are people who like the thought of a guest checkout. I do explain the differences on the two types of accounts on the login page.

Is there not some way of adding text on the final page of the guest checkout that gives the option of giving the customer a chance to add a password, which would then create an account, and give them the additional benefits of having an account, like order tracking, order history and the ability to leave a review.

Would it also be possible to remind a customer who is using the guest checkout for say a second time, that if they created an account they could save themselves time in not having to re enter all their information again. I know this would be dependent on them using the same email address, but it could be a benefit to some returning customers. I just don't know of the legalities of keeping information on the site, when people didn't create an account and would not want that information kept.

As to reviews. I have never had a customer leave a review, without me asking them to do so. I used to use a mailbeez module for this. May be it would be an idea to have the facility in admin to send this type of email to any customers and ask them to leave a review say a few weeks after they purchased the items, but this may be against EU rules. May be some text could be added to the order confirmation email, but how many customers actually read those. I dont know what the answer is.

My thoughts may not be a lot of help, but what ever is decided must work well.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

@@14steve14

Is there not some way of adding text on the final page of the guest checkout that gives the option of giving the customer a chance to add a password, which would then create an account, and give them the additional benefits of having an account, like order tracking, order history and the ability to leave a review.

Hi there

exactly what better checkout does offers password at checkout_success

What I found interesting was the fact that the site I bought from had thought about a way to allow Guests to see their order, leave review, see order updates - and even to send messages which get attached to the order.  I thought that was super cool.

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Basically the whole "Guest" checkout on mayor sites is just a restricted full account.

You only need an email and a generated "key" as burt mentioned.

You send the key as a url and once clicked the user is full logged-in to the site.

For oscommerce this would mean he has all the privileges as a default user.

From that point there should be taken a look at how the current core handles customers who are logged-in.

There is only one issue in that where you should look, and that is the address stuff.

osCommerce have the options to offer a shipping address and a payment address PLUS a default customer address.

So on each NEW checkout the system comes in trouble, as there is no default address id.

So somewhere in the middle (checkout_process), this needs to be covered.

Did you new that in the old V3 this was covered already.

V3 provided the basics to allow registering without any address.

The addresses where only asked when checkout.

Now..Think of it.

Those of you who read my Newsletter (and clicked the download link) have the Token Creation module...

What can you think to do with it ?

Give some ideas and let's see how it goes...

Edited by burt

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

We might use mail services accross API token transwer or used timed crons. For example when we are sending coupon codes with crons or admin orders status change mechnism then we might send coupon/token codes to mail service as a "field" value.

Mail service manage the review sendings. (Specially I used Mailmaster but Mailchimp might do the same)

Order hooks is a good way to use it.

:blink:

Another idea;   have social sharing links next to each product they bought....FB, Pinterest, Twitter ...

Even without a "guest" checkout, things should be made as easy as possible for buyers to perform actions after the sale...

Agree?

Could the tokens be used to send specific emails to customers when updating the order status rather than the generic email currently sent.

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

Could the tokens be used to send specific emails to customers when updating the order status rather than the generic email currently sent.

Could you give an example ?

Assume token looks like this abcde-12345-fghijk-67890 for purposes of example.

Edit:  just seen your post this.

On the buyers order page, you could show you (the shopowner) the Token for the order.  

As part of the order update, you could write:  "Hey, to download your Widget, go to mysite.com/key.php?token=abcde-12345-fghijk-67890"

Then when they click the link, they see what they need to see (modular) on the key.php page.  Message, Order summary, order status history, downloads. 

Does it make sense ?

Edited by burt

@@burt

That is along the lines of what I was thinking

It's possible.  I believe you have the module to create the key, which is a good start.

Now you need to acquire a modular "key" page and a downloads module for it.

As well as any other modules you might think useful for the customer to look at (orders_status_comments, order_summary and so on).

How did this pan out in the end?

In the Newsletter I sent a a link to download the first stage of the system, a way to create tokens.  33 people download it and 1 person requested the Better Checkout version...what they are doing with it, I have no real clue as no feedback was given from most of those who downloaded...

2 shopowners saw an opportunity for increased customer interaction, and from the efforts and feedback of those two shopowners the following was created;

1.  Shopside Modular Key Page, allowing

1a.  Welcome Message

1b.  Order Summary

1c.  Reviews System

1d.  Order Comment History

1e.  Social Links per product ordered (in development)

2.  Admin Page, allowing

2a.  Add Key to any orders that are missing it

2b.  Change a Key on any order

2c.  Individually email a customer

2d.  Mail many customers at one time

2e.  Filter customers based on how long ago they ordered and whether they have been emailed (in development)

Rather a nice little system, and all done with zero core code change!  

Chapeau to the two who saw the value!

For me, once I have a better way to streamline my shop's checkout process, I'll likely want to integrate the token for guest checkout purposes.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I have now been using the review section of the Mod Gary describes above for just over a week

All I now have to do to request a review from a customer is make a few clicks in admin and an email goes to the customer with a unique key which gives them access to a page which is tabbed with the products they have ordered. (in my case the emails are sent through Mandril so the email sending process stays off my server)

A review box is below.... customer fills in review -> done.... then they can do it again for another product.

Since started using it I have about 20 new reviews in just over a week which I think you will agree is a great outcome.

The reviews are held as normal in admin until approved.

The Mod either adds the key during the checkout process (if you enable that part) or you can add them after in admin.

This is very useful if you have checkout processes that don't go to checkout success. (paypal) or you need to change a key.

Also when the silly shopping season finishes I will persue the social aspect where within the same system social buttons show up and the customer can share the products purchased.

Big thumbs to Gary for this one  :thumbsup:

A year later I thought it would be good to share that the shop now has wait for it trumpets playing.... 1047 reviews.

All because I have an easy way to ask for them click click send.

Amazing to get so many reviews, that's 20 every week! That's 20 pieces of new content for Google and Bing and all the rest to pick up on, and 20 pieces of new content that only your shop has each and every week.

Superb :thumbsup:

Edited by burt

I've been following a couple of threads that are to do with "guest checkout" and so on, and I am thoroughly confused.

So far as I can see, the only difference between an "account holder" and a "guest" is a password. Am I over-simplifying things? What haven't I thought of?

@@burt

I've been following a couple of threads that are to do with "guest checkout" and so on, and I am thoroughly confused.

So far as I can see, the only difference between an "account holder" and a "guest" is a password. Am I over-simplifying things? What haven't I thought of?

A substantial portion of my customers choose to use the guest checkout ... even returning customers. So, give them what they want ...

So, as far as I can see, yes. The only difference is a password. I've considered adding a "Thank you, Guest, for your order. You can still create an account with us ... all you have to do is enter a password." page after the guest checkout, but I'm out of round toits.

Malcolm

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release here

@@burt

the thread you may have been following, and the addon which I'm now using, eliminates the password, follows the same checkout process but deletes the customer details from the customer table.  The order details are retained.  It does sound like the addon over engineers the process, but the customer doesn't have to enter a password (and remember it) and the customer knows an account is not created, so his/her details are not retained, and therefore no acouunt is accessible.  Some customers prefer that.

Is there a simpler process that could be defined and coded?

@@ArtcoInc

So, as far as I can see, yes. The only difference is a password. I've considered adding a "Thank you, Guest, for your order. You can still create an account with us ... all you have to do is enter a password." page after the guest checkout, but I'm out of round toits.

Malcolm

adding a request for a passowrd at the end of the check out process, (thus retaining (not deleting)  the account) sounds like the best solution.  that way you wouldn't need an option to create an account, just a login in, if the email existing, and a check out with an option to enter a password to keep the account details. 

@@ArtcoInc @@Mikepo
thanks for the input, you chaps have confirmed what I was thinking on...

The reason I ask is that a shop I work closely with wants to do something to make the checkout more "guest like" - and I just couldn't see any difference other than "password"...

In that particular case, the answer was to get rid of the password/confirm if the customer wants to be a guest and to offer a full account upgrade at the end of the checkout process.  

It's a more cut down version of the original checkout changes I perceived, so instead of massive changes to the checkout flow and cosmatics, it jsut removes password (if guest is chosen) and has an extra module at the end to "upgrade" from a guest to full account.