• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Friendly Urls - a new approach

gadlol

Yes ... here is the top of the index.php file taken from the server ...

<?php
/*
  $Id$
  osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com
  Copyright (c) 2010 osCommerce
  Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
  require_once('includes/application_top.php');

if(isset($seo_friendly_urls) && $seo_friendly_urls->enabled && $seo_friendly_urls->page_type!='category'){
if($seo_friendly_urls->include_page!=''){
$PHP_SELF=$seo_friendly_urls->include_page;
include $seo_friendly_urls->include_page;
exit;
}

Huge thanks to gadlol,, it appears I had not installed some elements correctly. Whilst the site I am working on still has issues, these would appear to be outside the scope of this addon which appears to be working exactly as it should, I can see many "happy" hours with a debugger resolving the remainder of the issues, however this contribution is not of the making.

Thanks again to gadlol for an excellent contribution and his superb support!

2 minutes ago, janeyred said:

Huge thanks to gadlol,, it appears I had not installed some elements correctly. Whilst the site I am working on still has issues, these would appear to be outside the scope of this addon which appears to be working exactly as it should, I can see many "happy" hours with a debugger resolving the remainder of the issues, however this contribution is not of the making.

Thanks again to gadlol for an excellent contribution and his superb support!

You are welcome @janeyred

Check out the great Alternative Administration System addon for osCommerce!

• 11 months later...

@gadiol thanks for the modul and help on installation.

i have a 2.3.4.1 CE Shop and 2 languages. german and english. The english language links seem to work as far i can see (with /en/ in front of the alias), but the standard german category links behave different. Currently i cant get the Category link in standard language to work. it just shows www.xxxxx.de/?cPath=22 instead of the alias. i also tried to define a custom alias, but still get the ?cPath=22 for that standard language link.

also, do i have to clear the cache after changing SFU settings or just when changes to aliases or products are made?

Hi @Stephan Gebbers

By default the main language is set not to appear in the url but you can change that by altering the option "Display default language alias?"

About the categories not being aliased there something must be happening I must check it by myself. Is it possible to send me via PM live link and more info so to check?  

About clearing the cache: you must clear the cache only when you manually change the alias or products are made - deleted or modified their names.

Problem fixed. Its a bug when the store has ONLY ONE category.

osCommercians who have only one category and using Seo Friendly Urls must go and comment the line 308

//elseif($citems==1) $children[] = $items[$clang]; //in case we have one category item without subcategories, rare but possible

In the next upcoming update this will be fixed...

@wHiTeHaT I asked from @Stephan Gebbers to send me info in PM because I knew that I had to investigate the problem on his live website.... After the bug fix I would ( as I did ) post the solution...

About $  - who fixes it, it's another story but it would be nice to see if there would be anyone here that could fix it... :-) 

Edited by gadlol

another question.

if i change the language on a page, the page reloads, the language changes but the url does not refresh to the language url but stays and the initial language url alias

like, if you select german coming from english: www.domain.de/en/alias?language=de

initial url is www.domain.de/en/alias
then you switch language and get
www.domain.de/en/alias?language=de
(with language on the page already switched to german and canonical link (from canonical module) in page source changed to german already)
where i would expect the resulting url after language switching to be

www.domain.de/de/alias

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I've installed this today and it looks very rough in the Admin side, BUT...it does work!

I'm using the latest version of osCommerce - 2.3.4.1 CE with PHP 7.0 and MySQL 5.6

I'm having to manually change database entries in the configuration table to get it to do as I like, but that's okay.  I'm so happy it works!

My urls read like 4-5-18 Name Of Product Keyword Keyword  Those numbers represent dates, like April 5, 2018

I want the 4-5-18 stripped out and I've set the Filter Short Words field to 2 but it will not strip them out.

I've tried setting it to 5 and realize that the filter is just not working at all.  Please advise!

- Andrea

Me again.  I guess it is stripping out text, it just won't strip out numbers.

I assume that's because any duplicates are assigned a number at the end of the url?

Oh, well.  I'm going to keep it anyway! 

- Andrea

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, ken0306 said:

HI there,

I just test on my site with this add on, the url looks good, but a little bit slow loading compared with the Ultimate SEO URL 5. Is that because it is the free version? 

thank you

ken

Hi Ken...

Yes that's true when having lots of products and categories because free version does not support cache. The PRO version supports caching to mysql or file or apc...

Regards

John

Hi there, I change my site from the Ultimate SEO URL 5 to the SEO Friendly urls, so the urls structures are totally changed. my question is how to forward my old urls to the new urls. 

thank you

Just now, ken0306 said:

Hi there, I change my site from the Ultimate SEO URL 5 to the SEO Friendly urls, so the urls structures are totally changed. my question is how to forward my old urls to the new urls. 

thank you

Unfortunately there is not a tool for that. I guess you must create a php script so to make the appropriate redirects or perhaps via htaccess. I dont know about SEO URL 5 mechanism so I cannot be much of a help..

Hi @gadlol,

Do you know which header tag is compatible with it on this? I originally have Ultimate SEO URL 5 with Header Tags SEO V 3.0 install on my site, and I uninstall the Ultimate SEO URL 5 and install upgrade to the SEO Friendly url pro. Now the index page header tag works fine, but the product info page doesn't really work. The header tag will load If the SEO Friendly url is off. So, is there any other Header Tag addon I should use for with SEO Friendly URL Pro?

thank you

ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We currently have your FREE edition running on our new website which is currently being developed. It works very well indeed, however we have encountered an issue with 2 features - Tell a Friend and Ask a Product Question. Both features work well with "Enable aliases for Products" set to "No" in admin. However neither work with aliases for Products set to "Yes". Both contributions seem to rely on "products_id" from the URL which obviously doesn't appear with SEO Friendly URLS active.

Not sure if this means we need a full path alias or whether its a redirect issue? However alternative options are only available with your Advanced Edition.

Are you able to provide a link to the Advanced Edition please ... have not been able to locate it via google. Some guidance would be appreciated on how to implement any changes also if possible.

Thanks in advance

Free and Advanced? Is this in reference to the add-on, or to the base osCommerce? osC is only free. By the way, as you're new here, make sure you're building your site on the only supported and current version, which is osC 2.3.4.1BS "Frozen". See the link to it below in my signature. Do not use the official 2.3.4.1 release, as it's unsupported, unresponsive, and quite a few years behind the times (e.g., doesn't properly handle PHP 7).

I mean SEO Friendly URLS FREE Edition. The admin section for this addon states that a number of the options require the SEO Friendly URLS Advanced Edition.

Yes we have started afresh with a new version of oscommerce. The site it is replacing was built using Oscommerce 2.2-ms2. As a completely new look and responsive site was required it made sense to start afresh.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi gadlol,

Been using the PRO edition of your excellent add on for over two years now without any issues on our OSC 2.3.4 website. Had a few issues setting up but thanks to your great support I got it running fine.

This last week I have had to move the entire website from our old server to a new one. The old server ran PHP 5 and the new one is running PHP 7. I have migrated everything across and cleared any PHP 7 related issues out that cropped up. The website is working great as is your add on on the front end but when I try and enter the admin it just sends me to a custom 'page-not-found' page I set up. What I have noticed is, if I go into the database and manually set enable SEO Friendly Urls Pro to false (through the configuration entry), then the admin login appears and I can then log in. If I enable your add on the admin will continue to work until I close the browser or logout. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Really love this add on and I must commend you on supporting your work here on this forum.

A very happy user.

Ah, the world wide web. What a wonderful place.

1 hour ago, freakystreak said:

Hi gadlol,

Been using the PRO edition of your excellent add on for over two years now without any issues on our OSC 2.3.4 website. Had a few issues setting up but thanks to your great support I got it running fine.

This last week I have had to move the entire website from our old server to a new one. The old server ran PHP 5 and the new one is running PHP 7. I have migrated everything across and cleared any PHP 7 related issues out that cropped up. The website is working great as is your add on on the front end but when I try and enter the admin it just sends me to a custom 'page-not-found' page I set up. What I have noticed is, if I go into the database and manually set enable SEO Friendly Urls Pro to false (through the configuration entry), then the admin login appears and I can then log in. If I enable your add on the admin will continue to work until I close the browser or logout. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Really love this add on and I must commend you on supporting your work here on this forum.

A very happy user.

Hi Richard @freakystreak

Thank you for your good words.

Can you please tell me which version of oscommerce you have installed and using? This is strange, it was never mentioned to me such kind of problem...

From what I can understand is that when you navigate for example to mystore.com/admin/ there must be a something that prevents admin backend to load because my seo class thinks that is also another page. Although it is a folder.

So first I would make sure that the admin backend does not call seo_friendly_urls.php which is the normal thing and then I would check the apache - server configuration.