• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal compatibility once their upgrade goes through?

sallypointer

I've had a very confusing email from Paypal today saying  'PayPal is upgrading the certificate for www.paypal.com to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product' and (I think) it essentially saying anyone with a shop that uses Paypal needs to make sure it will still be compatible once this upgrade goes through.

How do I check whether I need to alter anything in my OScommerce shop? I've got a really old version running as I've never been able to work out how to upgrade it to a newer version without scrambling the content, and I'm worried everything will stop working all of a sudden

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi there

yes it is a confusing email that at first looks like every other piece of fake PayPal Spam.

You can test your system using the PayPal sandbox (testing area) as that has already been upgraded to the new standard. In theory if it works in there it should be ok when the upgrade goes through.

https://developer.paypal.com/developer/applications/

I am certainly no expert but there are people on here who will be able to help you through the sandbox process much better than I can.

It does depend on what version of oscommerce you are using and what version of the payment system you are using.

many thanks for that. I just had a look at the paypal sandbox and whilst at first I didn't understand a word of it, eventually I found a bit where I could put in a page from the shop and it verified the handshake, which I'm hoping means it all worked ok?

I'm not totally sure what version of oscommerce I'm running, I set it up in 2005 I think, and had so much trouble getting it all installed and formatted (I've zero developing skills, I just worked through the installation file step by step,made endless cups of tea and cried a lot if I recall correctly, sad I know, but we aren't all computer whizzes). Its starting to look a bit crumbly now and I'm sure I should be upgrading.I tried downloading the recommended new version but couldn't find any instructions on what to do once I'd downloaded it to my computer.

If you haven't upgraded your paypal module since 2005, you will be using an old version that needs to be upgraded.

You're on the right track with setting up sandbox, because their sandbox system has already had the upgrade implemented, but I think you will have to do a whole transaction to find out if you get an error or not. What they've changed is the encryption method, and I believe that's only going to get used when proper transaction information gets passed backwards and forwards.

The first step is what you have done - testing that your system and the sandbox can "handshake". The next step is to do a test purchase, to make sure they can dance together.

- For a test purchase, you first need to go to the accounts section in sandbox, where it should have automatically created a buyer account. That's the email address you'll need to use in your store to make the test purchase.

- To perform a test with sandbox, you need to switch your paypal module over to 'test' mode. If you only have a live store and no test environment, that may confuse your customers!

- then you make a purchase in your store with the buyer email... if that goes through to paypal, you can make the payment, and come back again without any errors and with a completed osc transaction, then you don't need to upgrade anything.

You've probaby got a while to get this sorted out. The paypal upgrade email that I got had a go-live date in December.

The latest paypal module works with old versions of oscommerce without any messing, though yours is really quite old.

This means you're not forced to upgrade just for the paypal change, though there are plenty of other reasons to upgrade. I'm guessing you didn't implement lots of addons, so there's probably not a huge migration task in bringing your store forward. As to which version to aim for, you certainly want something mobile-friendly.

If you want to do this yourself, don't be shy of asking for help here - while the standard osc release has lots of documentation, the community versions don't, but they have the community to help!

If you'd rather not have the stress or are trying to ration your tea consumption, the easiest path would be to choose a commercial template and ask the vendor for a quote on migrating your shop to it. There's not a marketplace for osc, so to find out what's available the easiest way would be to put a post in the Commercial Support Enquiries forum and let them come to you. It doesn't have to cost the earth.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Archived