• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon] Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osC 2.3.4 (BS and nonBS)

auzStar

• 4 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 6:32 PM, auzStar said:

It seems that the cookie.js file (which this add-on needs) has been removed from the latest 2.3.4.1 CE version, not sure why.

The installation routine never checked for this file as it assumed it was always there. It only checked for the files that were being uploaded for this add-on.

I have attached a zipped copy of the file. Download and extract it to "ext/jquery" folder on your server.

See if that fixes your problem.

Hopefully nothing else has been changed in the latest 2.3.4.1 CE version to break add-ons.

Hi @auzStar,

What does this cookie.js do?  I do not have it on my latest osC Frozen but this add-on of yours works just fine.  Please advise.

Thanks, Eddy

• 4 months later...

I have this working on my BS4 test site but the search icon appears below the form. I applied this quick fix to user.css but am wondering if there is a better way. Does ht-twitter-typeahead.css need to be updated to BS4?

.input-group-append {
    margin-left: -42px;
}

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

• 4 weeks later...

@auzStar   hi,

thank you for this great addon. It is working great!

i also  install theme switcher and with few clicks, you can change the theme easily.
right now i am setting dark background and that make the search result hard to read, which file should I check to change the color setting for search result text color, and is there a way it can auto change depending on UI setting?

also i like to type a hint in the search blank area to let users know please at least type min 3 letters, which files should I change?

image.png.c972ed92f219496f933955bf85f70c9e.png

many thanks!

Lynn

Edited by ce7

• 3 months later...

Hi @auzStar 

First I wanted to congratulate you for this excellent addon!

Now I have an ignorant question.

Because when I see the source code of my site page in chrome or firefox , all the contents of the file appear
  \ 234bs \ full_package \ catalog \ ext \ typeahead \ js \ ht-twitter-typeahead.js.php

With other addons the source code never appears on the final web page.

Thank you and again congratulations for this great addon.

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

@valquiria23

The file contains javascript code. It's the javascript code that appears in the source which is normal.

cheers

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Ajax Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category Popular Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Front Page New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Index Nested - Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Modular Category Page for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap)
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
NEW Equal Height Module for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Upcoming Products Modules for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Bootstrap Add-ons created by other members
osCommerce Bootstrap Addons and Code

• 4 months later...

Hello @auzStar

All working perfectly with Edge version, with new phoenix version not at all so far - search bar only gives "No matches"

Tried even to hook js to sitewide\jquery

Any recommendations?
Thx 

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

I have this working on a Phoenix test site and it works correctly. The only trouble being is that the search button locates under the seach box, but with a bit of negative figures in the css it sort of looks right all on one line. I dont think I had to make any changes to any of the latest code.

search.jpg

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

26 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

I have this working on a Phoenix test site and it works correctly.

Try letting Malcolm play with it.  😂

Dan

Absolutely strange

I setup a new phoenix install with the autocomplete search and is working(local pc)
Compared page sources and almost a match except well for https and few little things

Diffrence found :
The working one have '&search_in_description=1'
the non working one '&search_in_description=1'

In file ht-twitter-typeahead.js.php 
I changed '&search_in_description=1\'  to read '&search_in_description=1\'
Now search is working correctly

but even so, my working live site = &search_in_description=1 and works perfectly - same server

I'm not so sure the problem was corrected this way changing & to &

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

I must be missing something. Tried to install twice on Phoenix. Does not work for me at all. Did any one above make any changes to make it work?

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

16 hours ago, peterpil19 said:

I must be missing something. Tried to install twice on Phoenix. Does not work for me at all. Did any one above make any changes to make it work?

Peter

Fixed. It does require a code change. Line 51 of the header tags module points to a cookie.js file that does not exist locally on Phoenix. You can change the address to an online version of that file e.g.  https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery-cookie/1.4.1/jquery.cookie.js

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:43 AM, 14steve14 said:

I have this working on a Phoenix test site and it works correctly. The only trouble being is that the search button locates under the seach box, but with a bit of negative figures in the css it sort of looks right all on one line. I dont think I had to make any changes to any of the latest code.

search.jpg

The alternative way to fix the button issue is to change the "input-group" class in bm_search.php and content_header_search.php to "input-group-prepend" at Lines 37 and 46, respectively. Refer documentation on bootstrap forms: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/input-group/

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

3 hours ago, peterpil19 said:

Fixed. It does require a code change. Line 51 of the header tags module points to a cookie.js file that does not exist locally on Phoenix. You can change the address to an online version of that file e.g.  https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery-cookie/1.4.1/jquery.cookie.js

That code change was already done in the version that I installed.

Your other code changed worked on positioning the button correctly but had to be changed in includes/modules/content/header/cm_header_search.php

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 2 months later...

Is there any way to add search suggest functionality to this great add-on? Autocomplete helps but I still see customers misspelling words and they can't find what they are looking for.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

On 2/8/2016 at 10:33 AM, Dan Cole said:

Now that I have it functioning I've been testing it a bit and noticed that on the first page load when visiting my site I get "no matches" but if I go to another product category and repeat the same search it pulls up the results you'e expect. 

Hi Dan - I installed this very cool contribution yesterday on my test site and I am experiencing the same as you mentioned above.

What should I be looking for to troubleshoot the issue?  What did it turn out to be in your case?

I'm using the latest version of the contrib with 2.3.4.1 CE and lots of other mods to boot.  Just don't know where to begin looking for suspects.  Thanks for your time!

- Andrea

@puggybelle @Dan Cole

While I was trying to install a different TypeAhead search module, I too had the same issues that both you and Dan reported. You can start reading about them here:

I was getting different results on my in-house development server and my 'live' public server. I was getting different results with different browsers. I asked different people to test the public server, and different people experienced different results.

I never determined what was causing the problem. I wish I had better news ...

Malcolm

1 hour ago, puggybelle said:

Hi Dan - I installed this very cool contribution yesterday on my test site and I am experiencing the same as you mentioned above.

What should I be looking for to troubleshoot the issue?  What did it turn out to be in your case?

I'm using the latest version of the contrib with 2.3.4.1 CE and lots of other mods to boot.  Just don't know where to begin looking for suspects.  Thanks for your time!

I think I gave up on this one...faced the same issues and fate as Malcolm did.  My advice...move along...it will be a time sink and not likely end well.

Dan

@ArtcoInc and @Dan Cole

It's a shame...this issue of not working on the initial pageload. 

Once I click around my site, it works perfectly on any and all pages.

But, if buyers are going to see 'no matches' on their first try...assuming they're going straight for the search box when they enter the website...that's a killer.

Out the door they'll go.

It looks so nice and clean, too...I really wish I could use this!  Damn!

Guess I'll just keep checking the forum from time to time to see if anyone comes up with a remedy...you never know!  Thanks, guys!

- Andrea

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ce7 said:

Then tried to replace catalog/ext/ with V1.7, it works.

Can you clarify what that means?  There are a lot of folders/files under that filepath you referenced.

You began with version 1.8.....yes?

- Andrea