• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon] Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osC 2.3.4 (BS and nonBS)

auzStar

Thank you for this module. Unfortunately I can't get it to work though. Please check my site http://bit.ly/2mzDP7F.

I have added the module in Header Tags and the info I get is:

Module Version

Module Check
tick.gif The module is correctly installed.

Enable Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search Module
True

But the auto complete won't work in the store search box. Can you see what's wrong? I use oscommerce 2.3.4. I have tried with both module non-bs and with bs.

Edited by StreamAlex

@@StreamAlex

Did you follow the installation instructions to the letter? I still see MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_TWITTER_TYPEAHEAD_SUGGESTIONS_CLOSE & MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_TWITTER_TYPEAHEAD_SUGGESTIONS_HEADING_SRCH_PROD_META_KEYWORDS in your source code.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

@@StreamAlex

Did you follow the installation instructions to the letter? I still see MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_TWITTER_TYPEAHEAD_SUGGESTIONS_CLOSE & MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_TWITTER_TYPEAHEAD_SUGGESTIONS_HEADING_SRCH_PROD_META_KEYWORDS in your source code.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have uploaded all the files that the Readme states to upload. I use Swedish though as default language, so I also uploaded the language files to my swedish folder in /includes/languages/. What I can see those lines is in file ht_twitter_typeahead.php and that file is both in /includes/languages/swedish/modules/header_tags and same place but english folder.

@@StreamAlex

Start again -> uninstall the module and undo all changes, and then follow the instructions for the bs version to re-install the module (since your store is bs).

TIP: if you have a problem with the version you're meant to be installing, in your case the bs version, post a comment in the support thread before attempting to use the version you're NOT meant to be installing (non-bs). You're only going to make things worse. The non-bs version is not compatible with the osC 234BS and vice versa.

So please undo all changes then perform a clean install of the bs version of the module.

You're currently getting script errors because the module doesn't appear to be installed correctly i.e. missing language definitions.

cheers

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Ajax Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category Popular Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Front Page New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Index Nested - Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Modular Category Page for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap)
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
NEW Equal Height Module for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Upcoming Products Modules for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Bootstrap Add-ons created by other members
osCommerce Bootstrap Addons and Code

@@StreamAlex

So please undo all changes then perform a clean install of the bs version of the module.

You're currently getting script errors because the module doesn't appear to be installed correctly i.e. missing language definitions.

cheers

I removed all the files and did a fresh install of the module but I have the same problem. Everything seems OK in admin -> Modules -> Header Tags but it won't work on the website. I only installed the bs version this time and also added the language files to my swedish folder so that the language strings would work. If I don't add them to the swedish folder then the strings aren't working.

@@auzStar

Dominic, @@StreamAlex has these lines in the source code.

<script src="/ext/jquery/jquery-2.2.3.min.js"></script>
<script src="/ext/jquery/ui/jquery-ui-1.10.4.min.js"></script>

Needs a higher jquery version?

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

@@frankl

@@StreamAlex

No, the module worked with "jquery-2.2.3.min.js" prior to BS being updated to "jquery-3.x.min.js".

Not sure why "jquery-ui-1.10.4.min.js" is there, probably some other add-on. Could be tested by removing that line.

My concern is why this section of the script appears as (in the source):

<a href="http://klokast.se/advanced_search_result.php/keywords/'+encodeURIComponent(search_input.val())+(search_in_description // 'true' / '/search_in_description/1' : '')+'">show all results</a>

instead of:

<a href="https://klokast.se/advanced_search_result.php?keywords='+encodeURIComponent(search_input.val())+(search_in_description == 'true' ? '&search_in_description=1' : '')+'">show all results</a>

Something is breaking the script.

Alexander, can you check the contents of the file "catalog/ext/typeahead/js/ht-twitter-typeahead.js.php" (line 188) on your server and compare to the original module file.

You could also try temporarily disabling some other add-ons that use javascript to determine if there is an incompatibility issue with other js add-ons.

Also, can you test in English?

cheers

Edited by auzStar

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

@@StreamAlex

I see what is causing the problem. Your store URL's are being re-written either by some add-on or rewrite rules, example; from "product_info.php?products_id=913" to "product_info.php/products_id/913". This is breaking the script as shown in last post above.

At the moment this add-on is incompatible with your store until a solution is provided.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@@StreamAlex

Alexander,​ can you please try the attached file.

Download and unzip the file then replace this file "catalog/ext/typeahead/js/ht-twitter-typeahead.js.php" on your server and test. (You may have to clear your "cache/temporary files" in your browser)

Let me know.

cheers

ht-twitter-typeahead.js.php.zip

Edited by auzStar

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your answers, very much appreciated. Sorry for my late response. I have been on vacation.

I have tried the file you provided but that doesn't make it work. I have tried in different browsers and have emptied the browers cache.

Since the store should only be in Swedish I have removed English completely. So I can't try that out. Is there any risk/danger by installing English again? I'm afraid of breaking something..

I can't figure out either that is causing the URL rewrite. I didn't build the store from the beginning, so I don't know what is installed, changed etc.

I forgot to mention you @@auzStar.

I have checked the .htaccess file and it looks like this: 

# $Id$
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
# the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#   AllowOverride Options
# </Directory>
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
# Explorer browsers

#<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
#  <IfDefine SSL>
#    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
#             nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
#             downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
#  </IfDefine>
#</IfModule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the
# following Apache configuration parameter

# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values
# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
# servers)

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
# php_value register_globals 1

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
  Header unset ETag
</IfModule>
FileETag None

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
## https://gtmetrix.com/leverage-browser-caching.html ##
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access plus 2 days"
</IfModule>
## EXPIRES CACHING ##

Is there anything in there that caused the problem?

@@StreamAlex

There is most likely an SEO URL's add-on installed. Check in admin and see if it can be disabled temporarily to test.

Other than that I don't know what the problem is without access to your site. As I said, something is breaking the script.

The add-on is known to work.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@@auzStar

I found the problem. The setting "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs" was set to true in Configuration -> My Store. When I turned that to false it started working.

Is it possible to have search-engine safe urls and still have the add-on working?

Edited by StreamAlex

@@StreamAlex

@@auzStar

I found the problem. The setting "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs" was set to true in Configuration -> My Store. When I turned that to false it started working.

Is it possible to have search-engine safe urls and still have the add-on working?

Sorry for late reply.

I remember reading somewhere in the forum that the admin setting "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs" was still in development and not the best option to use (I think this is still the case and not sure why it is still there, but I could be wrong). Preference is to leave that off and install another SEO URL's add-on from the add-ons page, such as this one http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9544.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@@StreamAlex

Sorry for late reply.

I remember reading somewhere in the forum that the admin setting "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs" was still in development and not the best option to use (I think this is still the case and not sure why it is still there, but I could be wrong). Preference is to leave that off and install another SEO URL's add-on from the add-ons page, such as this one http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9544.

cheers

@@StreamAlex

Have confirmed that "Typeahead Autocomplete" (latest bs version) works with the "Ultimate Seo Urls 5 for Responsive Oscommerce" add-on in the link provided above. The only issue is the SEO URLs add-on requires a number of core changes.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I am testing this search addon. I have a few problems when searching in descriptions.

In the attached files: When I search for Songs (in 1. Songs.jpg) you can see,  the word before songs is Gedichten. When I search for Gedichten, I get no matches (see 2. Gedichten.jpg).

Why couldn't found it 'Gedichten'?

An other thing: When I search for Oorlog, I get no matches. But searching to Oorlogs, I found 13 results. Why Oorlog is not working?

My settings are: Search in Description: true, Show Description in Results: part, Short Description Lenght: 200, Short Description Offset: 20.

Regards,

Gerrit

1. Songs.JPG

2. Gedichten.JPG

3. Oorlog.JPG

4. Oorlogs.JPG

@OscPresto

Hi there. Must be something to do with your language setup. Everything seems to work OK in English language on test site here https://www.auzcommerce.com.au/osc234bs_test_sec/

Can you supply a link to your website so that I can see what the problem could be?

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@OscPresto

As you can see by the attached image of your "advanced search" page, it appears your store language is not setup correctly to use with special/accent characters. This add-on is known to work with special characters if the store is setup correctly.

Please read back through this support topic to see if there is any information that may help since other people have had similar issues.

cheers

advanced_search_sample.jpg

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The site is setup for special characters. But in this page I had not the correct translation file.

I could not find a post with the same issues. I see posts with issues with special characters, but they are no problem.

I changed the translation, but there is no difference. I noticed that when I type an comma after Gedichten that the products with gedichten, are showed.

Now I have set Short Description Offset to 0, then much more is found. Why is that?

Regards.

@OscPresto

Sorry I don't know what the issue could be, I don't have time to troubleshoot at the moment. Maybe someone else on the form can help or you could try to find a solution yourself and then post it here so that it can help others with similar issues in the future.

The add-on is known to work, but has only been tested in English as stated in the documentation.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@OscPresto

Hi,

I had similar issue with Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete when and only when my site switched to using multi-byte languages such as Chinese and Japanese.  

@auzStar Dominic kindly offered me a solution and it solved the problem when searching in non-English languages.

In file "catalog\ext\modules\header_tags\twitter_typeahead\autocomplete.php", find and replace all occurrences of the below -

replace preg_with mb_ereg_replace
replace strlen with mb_strlen
replace stripos with mb_stripos
replace substr with mb_substr

Please also make sure your files are UTF-8 encoded.

Best regards, Eddy
Edited by Moxamint

@Moxamint@OscPresto said in previous post that it's not the same problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try the above suggestions anyway, thankyou

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

• 2 months later...

I have a quick question that probably doesn't have a quick answer. I'll start with an example...

Customers search for a brand called, MyDog.

Some customers type, "MyDog" and the results show properly.

Some customers type, "My Dog" (with a space) and it shows no results.

Is there a way to ignore spaces in such an instance?