• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Getting big old F in "Leverage browser caching" SEO stats. Will this addon help?

allaboutwicker

Hello,

We are trying to learn all this SEO stuff and see that we are getting an F in Leverage browser caching Will the following addon work with 2.3.4 BS site to correct this issue? http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8818  If not, then what is the proper course of action to get this fixed?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi

have a look at:

https://gtmetrix.com/leverage-browser-caching.html

you'll need to edit the .htaccess file to get what you want - beware placing a long expiry date on anything you may want to change (although if you rename a file then it gets reloaded so stuff.css edited to stuff_1.css prompts a new download)

Hi Ashley,

I just confirmed gzip compression is set to true and at level 5. Should that be set differently?

Thanks

No, that should be fine. Pagespeed is still complaining about compression though. Do you have your store installed in the root and a folder?

Well, that was another one fixed! Thanks so much Ashley! I have gotten my page speed up to at least a D (67%)  :P

Now to try and get this KissIT thumbnailer in place which perhaps will help with the serving scaled images issue.

Now to try and get this KissIT thumbnailer in place which perhaps will help with the serving scaled images issue.

Please keep us posted if you find a solution with this.

I have run my shop through gtmetrix and it says I should serve scaled images but when you click on my shop images on the start page none of them is scaled.

So I have no idea why gtmetrix is putting out that message. If I resize them according to their recommended size the whole layout looks like s%.

I am wondering what image rating others get that use osC BS shops.

Anyway, looking forward to your results.

Hi Tsimi,

I believe I finally have the KissiT Thumbnailer in place sort of. I have found that I need to physically go to each product page to initially get the thumb created (as can be verified by checking for new images in the once empty thumb folder) but once they are in then I am thinking it is done. The images on my home page that are not being scaled now are from mods I put in like the slider and cats on front page, so I will have to see about those, but besides those I think the others are now scaled on the site and happy. Now I just have to go a clicking around to get them all in there!  :thumbsup:

@@Tsimi Just checked again and now with the fixes throughout the day I went from an "F" to now Page Speed "B" (89) - Yslow "B (86) and my Serve Scaled Images rating is now at least at a C (72) since I still have those mod images to figure out as mentioned in previous post, but much better. Here is the tester site as many have said is good: https://gtmetrix.com/

@@Tsimi Just checked again and now with the fixes throughout the day I went from an "F" to now Page Speed "B" (89) - Yslow "B (86) and my Serve Scaled Images rating is now at least at a C (72) since I still have those mod images to figure out as mentioned in previous post, but much better. Here is the tester site as many have said is good: https://gtmetrix.com/

You can use the pagespeed tool from within the webmaster tools console for testing. The score for your site is 73/100 Mobile with 98/100 User experience. 88/100 for Desktop.

Yes, thanks Ashley for mentioning that as well. Upon testing here: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/  I had started at 42/100 Mobile -- so far got up to 70/100 and started at 57/100 Desktop and now showing up to 86/100. I also just found this tester: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ I like this one as it gives me a performance grade of 92 and states that "Your website is faster than 79% of all tested websites"

Please keep us posted if you find a solution with this.

I have run my shop through gtmetrix and it says I should serve scaled images but when you click on my shop images on the start page none of them is scaled.

So I have no idea why gtmetrix is putting out that message. If I resize them according to their recommended size the whole layout looks like s%.

I am wondering what image rating others get that use osC BS shops.

Anyway, looking forward to your results.

79/100 Mobile, 100/100 User experience, 91/100 Desktop. All images optimized without a thumbnailer. At the end of the day SEO does not depend much on the script that you are running. 

@@Hotclutch

Thanks for the info Ashley.

I don't use any thumbnailer. I resize all images myself.

Maybe it's the template...

osC BS in it's original state is showing a score of over 90 at gtmetrix. And i don't recall seeing any image scale message.

Just tested with the google thing and not one word regarding the scaled images. lol

Score was not so great though. (69, 96, 86)

Looks like i am gonna have a busy day tomorrow.

Optimizing images is not just about resizing them. You have to specify width and height attributes on all image tags and these need to be the same as the actual image dimensions. It's normal for the pagespeed score of a modified/ developed shop to drop off slightly from the vanilla shop score.

Yes that's the site.

74/100/90

Red = Mobile

Blue = Desktop

you should see a tab next to the mobile that says Desktop. Click on it and you'll see.

Here another good site to check things out.

Click on "tools" in the header and there you see more checking tools.

Out of the Box, the Responsive (Edge) gets:

G Speed Insights:

79 / 99 / 92

GT Metrix:

A (95%) A (89%)

As shopowners add data (eg images, descriptions, categories and so on), those numbers will change.

It would be nice if those who have worked on speeding things up and optimising bits and pieces would share their work on Github so that it can be looked at for integration into the Core...

@@Tsimi Is this the one you are getting those numbers on? https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ I am not sure I follow how you get the numbers 74/100/90? I only get 2 stats when I run a test 71/100 for mobile now and 88/100 for desktop.

74 is the Mobile score.

100 is the user experience score, which appears below the mobile score.

90 is the desktop score.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived