• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Moving a database from 2.2 to OSC 2.3.4 Boostrap

I am making some steps and doing some trials to move over to OSC 2.3.4 bootstrap.

I have tried the OSC 2.3.4 db update contribution, followed by the Bootstrap SQL change, all of this breaks the bootstrap version. So no go there.

So, I thought I would just concentrate on getting the product and customer data only transferred over and worry about the config and other settings later.

There is a nice "Copy table to" feature in PHPMyAdmin under Operations, that I thought would be the best and less fidly way. First I will check the structure of the database matches for both. Then I will copy over the data only

A couple of questions:

1) Will the passwords still work for the customers when they are moved over?

2) The customer data is latin1_swedish_si will manually changing to UTF-8 before sending data over corrupt or mangle the data in any way?

Any tips on a succesful database migration would be appreciated.

You should be able to figure out a migration of a copy of your existing database rather than a reload.

I've found this path successful for a couple of stores:

- start with an addon whose number I've lost with the SQL changes from MS2 to 2.3.4 in a single file

- apply burt's BS update from http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/399678-234normal-to-234responsive-database-conversion-script/

- sort out product images

- go into BS admin and enable various modules to get a catalog front end that displays what you want. If it runs but most things aren't there, it's not broken; it's just waiting for you to tell it how you want it.

As to your alternative path: once you've copied products, categories, customers and orders across from your old database, there won't be much you haven't copied will there? The migration SQL consists mostly of extending the size of all the address fields, adding a couple of new tables for 2.3 like action_recorder and product_images, and inserting huge number of new config variables for all the modules. You're welcome to one that I have used, but they're adapted to the specific project needs so I cut out bits from RC1/2 that weren't needed, and inserted some addon-related stuff like seo_header_tags

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

It sounds like you did something wrong in migrating the database format from 2.2-whatever to 2.3.4, or in upgrading the database from 2.3.4 to Bootstrap. Lots of other people have done this successfully. Did you pause at 2.3.4 and check to see if it ran correctly? If so, that would tell you that something went wrong with the Bootstrap phase. Worst case, if you don't want to do it all over again, would be to dump the table structures from your migrated database, dump the table structures from a sample store in 2.3.4 Bootstrap, and compare them. Use phpMyAdmin to manually tweak your migrated database to match what it should be, and you will end up with a properly functioning Bootstrap shop.

• 3 weeks later...

i just did a migration from 2.2 to 2.2.4

this way may take longer but it will help you trouble shoot any issues

in the install pack you can use this to help:

oscommerce-2.3.4\docs\database_schema.pdf

• first of all backup.
  • goto my php admin.
  • look at the new database and the old one, i printed a copy of the tables from each to help compare.
  • its also good to open the tables in each database and look at the structure. compare the differences.
  • keep a list of what your doing next.
  • in the old database click the first table, export it to your PC.
  • goto the new database, click the same table. DROP the table. (its good to check the table structure first as said above for differences to leave or update)
  • import the table you saved from the old database. apply any fixes or updates if required.
  • be mindful that some tables should not be copied over. i left the new tables for:
    address_format
    configuration
    configuration_group
    countries
    currencies
    database_optimizer
    geo_zones
    languages
    (left as is, or manually updated them in the new store)

your store may be different so this is only a guide

that is pretty much it, just triple check each move you do.

:thumbsup:

• 3 years later...
On 8/2/2015 at 3:06 AM, BrockleyJohn said:

my problem is i can not log into the damn admin side of the install   FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be able to figure out a migration of a copy of your existing database rather than a reload.

I've found this path successful for a couple of stores:

- start with an addon whose number I've lost with the SQL changes from MS2 to 2.3.4 in a single file

- apply burt's BS update from http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/399678-234normal-to-234responsive-database-conversion-script/

- sort out product images

- go into BS admin and enable various modules to get a catalog front end that displays what you want. If it runs but most things aren't there, it's not broken; it's just waiting for you to tell it how you want it.

As to your alternative path: once you've copied products, categories, customers and orders across from your old database, there won't be much you haven't copied will there? The migration SQL consists mostly of extending the size of all the address fields, adding a couple of new tables for 2.3 like action_recorder and product_images, and inserting huge number of new config variables for all the modules. You're welcome to one that I have used, but they're adapted to the specific project needs so I cut out bits from RC1/2 that weren't needed, and inserted some addon-related stuff like seo_header_tags

• 1 month later...

Archived