• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to add shipping options? For example: Liftgate?

phi148

Hello,

We ship large items and sometimes customers would like the "Liftgate" option added on to their shipping.

Is there an easy way (or an add-on) to add optional shipping features?  Like a drop down box for "Liftgate" or other potential services?

Thanks!

Hi Bill, 

You did not mention what type of shipping you offer currently, but say you use just straight flat rate shipping. You use a duplicate of that module with the added fee for Liftgate included so they can pick which one they want. We use a table rate for our site as we ship small and larger items as well needing to be shipped via freight, but for this example I just set it up quick to show a rate of $224.00 for Regular Shipping and then $324.00 if they wanted to chose Shipping with Liftgate. I did not change the wording on my site to that so I just over-layed the correct text for the effect as can be seen on this screenshot http://allaboutwicker.com/images/Extra-shipping-with-liftgate.jpg You should be able to do the same thing if you use table rate as I believe you should be able to duplicate that or possibly just use another module that is similar with the additional rate for Liftgate included. Not sure if that is what you are looking to do, but hope that helps.

Hi Bill, 

You did not mention what type of shipping you offer currently, but say you use just straight flat rate shipping. You use a duplicate of that module with the added fee for Liftgate included so they can pick which one they want. We use a table rate for our site as we ship small and larger items as well needing to be shipped via freight, but for this example I just set it up quick to show a rate of $224.00 for Regular Shipping and then $324.00 if they wanted to chose Shipping with Liftgate. I did not change the wording on my site to that so I just over-layed the correct text for the effect as can be seen on this screenshot http://allaboutwicker.com/images/Extra-shipping-with-liftgate.jpg You should be able to do the same thing if you use table rate as I believe you should be able to duplicate that or possibly just use another module that is similar with the additional rate for Liftgate included. Not sure if that is what you are looking to do, but hope that helps.

Thanks that is a good idea.  I started to go down that road but hesitated.  Here's why.

I currently use the "FreightQuote.com" shipping module.  However, this creates entries in the database where parameters like length, width, weight, height, freight class, etc.. get entered for each product.

If I duplicate that module, I was afraid the database would get populated with a second set of the same parameters.... bloating the database and maybe breaking something.   The module itself will add these database fields when you "install" the module... so I need to look closer at what will happen if I do this.

I guess I could make a backup of my database and do a quick test during off hours... if it breaks something, reload the old database.

Thanks for the info!  Big help!

:)

Edited by phi148

The FreightQuote module already provides that option. Has that now stopped working? I haven't checked lately since I don't know anybody who is still using it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.