• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

looking for help solving problem after server upgrading

rabbit0860

my store had been running fine until godaddy called to run a cpanel migration on it. I think it's the outdated php scripts causing this . I am overwhelmed with kids lately, don;t have the time to comb thru it. Any expert out there can offer this kind of service please message me.

thanks!

Rose

www.slingcarrier.com

slingcarrier dot com

What version of osC are you running? Many older versions fail with newer PHP releases. The best thing would be to upgrade to 2.3.4 or 2.3.4BS (responsive) and migrate your data to it. That should work with PHP 5.4 and (I hear) 5.5, at a minimum. If you have many add-ons or code modifications, this could be a difficult task, but it's something that will have to be done periodically, so it's worth your while to keep careful track of exactly what your store is configured as.

In the Commercial Support section you can inquire about hiring someone to do the conversion for you.

Can you choose PHP version in your hosting plan ? If yes, just lower it ... but would recommend upgrading as its time already :)

It would be good to know your current installed osc version. Is it 2.2x ?

Do you know which addons are installed and still required in new version ?

I just finished migrating 2 shops heavily modified shops from v2.2RCA to v2.3.4. The easiest way was to built a new shop v2.3.4 with new required addons and than migrate all tables one by one, checking each tables for possible changes etc ...

100% migrated; all customers with info (login data works on a new shop), all products & images .. etc ..

The only thing I didnt get to migrate I think, is old orders info due to significant db changes ..

If interested, send me an email to [email protected] ..

Regards,

Gregor

Install a new 2.3.4 (or 2.3.4BS) shop and copy the old database over. There is an add-on to migrate old databases up to 2.3.2 or 2.3.3, and then I think there is a migrate utility with each osC version after that. 2.3.4's may be able to pick up where the add-on leaves off, but check first. This updates the database without any manual fiddling.

You can also just copy old db over new, but in the case old shop was heavy on add-ons this would also move not-needed tables in db. I like to start with "clean" db with new shop, w/o not needed left-overs ..

You can do that, but most store owners don't want to discard all their hard-won non-standard customer and product data. They usually want to keep the data, and add code (add-ons or custom work) to make use of it. If you go the automated upgrade route, you can be sure that all of your standard osC data is properly upgraded, and then you can go through the database and discard any non-standard data that you know you don't want to keep. It's probably going to be less work that manually combing over the tables and not only throwing out unwanted stuff, but also cleaning up (upgrading) stuff to keep.

Archived