• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updating older version to latest

azlori

An ecommerce site I am helping with has an old version. osCommerce 2.2-MS2 and I really want to update to the latest version.

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? Is there a certain order?

Thank you so much in advance.

The easiest way is usually just to install a brand new shop with the latest stable oscommerce and then import over customers/orders/products from the old db.

If you are dead-set on updating the old shop, you have to do it in steps for each incremental version following the version of the old shop. You can download upgrade instructions for each step here: http://www.oscommerce.com/Products

Thank you. I think I will have to install a new clean version. Any suggestions on how to import old customers/products/orders? I don't know what format a database backup looks like. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Whether your old shop is still functioning and you don't want to mess it up, or you just want the safety of a backup in case you fail to update to a new shop, you should take a backup of your old shop's files and database. Your hosting control panel should have tools to help with this (such as phpMyAdmin). You can then install 2.3.4 (or 2.3.4BS responsive community-supported edition) in a private test directory, and most hosting control panels have a button to copy your existing database over to a new one for the new shop to use. You then upgrade the new database step-by-step as described before, to bring it up to the layout of 2.3.4. Now you have a functioning up-to-date shop, and once you've customized it and are comfortable with it, you can disable the old one and direct customers to the new one. You may have to repeat the database migration and update at that time, if there's been any new activity on the old shop.

I appreciate all this info. I can usually figure things out and have the resources (sites) to experiment with a new install and such but I get nervous when it comes to databases. lol

Just take it step-by-step. Learn how to back up your database. Learn how to eyeball the backup (.sql file) to see that it looks complete and clean. Learn how to restore a database from the backup. Actually carry out these operations so there are no surprises.

Once you are confident that you know your way around backup and restore of a database, you can start doing things that might have an impact on the database. Note that almost every host will let you create a separate database so that you don't step on any current production database. If your hosting plan is so low end that you only have one database, it may be time to look around for better hosting.

Archived