• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Gold / Edge - Is this post still good?

Thanks Henry,

But just had to have a say, because as well as wining, another of my flaws is that I have never been able to stand by and watch bullies intimidate people

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Thanks henry, That should clarify it for new members of the community who may be considering using OSC

My view:

• OSC Great product
  • Developed over years by a great community
  • the community is helpful and caring and tolerant
  • Ideas and suggestions can be bounced around

The Reality?:

• OSC is a Great Product (although the greatest is well hidden and unofficial - which is the major moan of us winers)
  • The community is shrinking - many great people have left or been thrown out?
  • The community in some cases is now like a wolves hunting ground where people with limited php skills are made to feel tiny
  • Ideas and suggestions are now (in my view) frowned upon - after all what do we, the users know about what we need?

You say this is not a democracy? Look around the world - how many non democratic countries do well?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@wHiTeHaT

I knew you would get abusive and personal. Like water off a ducks back I am afraid.  I am allowed an opinion the same as you are, so stop intimidating and bullying. I do so hate trolls and trolling. I will voice my opinion when and where I like and will not be bullied into keeping quiet. At least I am number 1 at something. Thanks for the compliment it is appreciated. If you could send the certificate I will stick it on my wall.

Until you do something good for oscommerce users, like make and suppport many addons, and have support posts with hundreds of pages, like many of the people you run down and insult, you should really keep quiet about what people are doing for oscommerce. Many can be seen to be doing so much more than you. The trouble being bullies who try to stop anyone else having an opinion or even making a suggestion are doing oscommerce more harm than the ones making a sensible rash suggestion.

If many people have the same opinion about something that is wrong, then someone should sit up, take notice, and try to do something about it. That's good sound business sense. Oscommerce has to give people what they need, or they will go else where. Gary started doing this and tried to bring oscommerce up too date. Just look anywhere else on the internet and find who actively advises people to use oscommerce when setting up an online store. Apart from this forum I couldn't find any. Most suggest other carts. Those carts are the competition and they are being suggested because they are better, even you cannot disagree with that.

I use oscommerce everyday and make my living from it. I am not a coder so I come here for help, advice and to make suggestions. Most people listen and some try to help. Others offer silly childish remarks that frown upon those that don't already know the answer. As with other store owners, who also use it every day, we all know what we would like and if we all kept quiet we wouldn't get it, and oscommerce would not be able to offer over 7000 addons that it currently has. They have all been made because someone somewhere wanted it and it wasnt included in the main download package. They didn't get ridiculed because they asked for something that was not currently available. Someone somewhere sat down and offered help and advice and in some cases coded it for them. That is what a community does, and what this community should continue to do. Not mock and offer silly comments because someone does not know how to do it.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

This is almost same entertaining as soccer so here is the matching commentator sound

https://youtu.be/lFHZYNRk0aM

or if could get an octagon here, we could have OSC instead of UFC!

FLAMEWARS! Fight, fight, fight.... :devil: o:)

@@Mort-lemur

[ONTOPIC]

Yes, EDGE would be the most up to date version.

[/ONTOPIC]

It's really rather sad to see groups of people fighting over shit that does not matter, in the grand scheme of things.  

If you do not like what the Core Team does or does not do, you are welcome to leave, or to stay and put up with it, or to try to change things for the better.   

Don't think that you have a say in anything ... I fought to get you all that chance and had it thrown back in my face.  So, I do what I want, you do what you want, we're all happy.  

Community ?  I look at the ones posting in this thread, and see one who is a community sponsor and is trying his best to make changes for the better = @@wHiTeHaT

The rest ?  Well, you all seem to know what you want, so why not take steps to make it so ... instead of wasting your time posting the same old bullcrap every 3 months.  Look back through your posting history and see just how negative you all are.  I also invite the ones who "like" posts to do the same.

Ah...thx...I missed that post some how...master it is then. I was looking for the latest 2.4 repository, which is in master and not in the 2.4 branch. I wanted to have a plan to start moving all my stuffs off off edge, and have a base to fix some of the addons that I use...hey, best answer...

I dont know what you are looking for. Here is the oscommerce development rule: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/397703-github-development-workflow/

The separated github flows are not official versions so you have to upgrade from them alone.
If you follow the official version you could drop in separated flows in your separated own branches. Its an easy way to mix them. I am doing the same on my desktop.

Finaly you could merge all of them into your version.

If the same shit keeps dropping up in threads them maybe something needs to be done. Its a shame that store owners ideas get dismissed whilst those of a bully get taken seriously. Still if that is the way things are going so be it. Its hard to move anything forward when views of a large percentage of users gets ignored.log

The views of a large percentage ?  It's the same handful of people saying the same old thing (look at the names in this thread, then find the last 3 or 4 similar threads and look at the names)...it's the same few people.

Over the past year I asked time and time and time again for people to step up, and just a few people did.   You'll remember me asking for shopowners to contact me to give ideas on what should be in the core?  How many did...you know the answer.  And yet, you say "store owners ideas get dismissed"...

My position is quite clear;  A great bunch of people stepped up and offered help, ideas, advice, gave time for testing my wacky ideas for the Responsive build over the past 18 months - these are the ones that I feel confident to listen to.  Anyone else => stop posting bullcrap, start contributing positively and then might be one whom I will listen to.    

I would ask that there be no further threads like this, which does nothing but suck like a vampire.  

I would further ask that the whole eco-sphere we have going on here, shopowners and developers start washing each others hands.

In other words, stop the Bullcrap threads, stop the Bullcrap posts and start contributing positivity to the forum.  Oh, and those who "like" Bullcrap posts should also stop reinforcing those posters views.  Kthxbye.

@@burt

Dont take the following personally its not meant to be that way.

As shop owners we cannot offer code, just ideas, which you have been told many times. Every time those suggestions get refused, every time because we have no say. Even you admitted in a post on your website that oscommerce is not fit for purpose and something needs to change.

Most of the people you are slating give up their time to give help and support to many people in these forums. They have created many good and useful addons which they fully support and have many threads with thousands of posts. Many addon creators disappear or just stop giving support. That is their way of giving help. God help us if they leave. Others give ideas. I even come here at least once a day and as a store owner give help where I can, as do many others. That was your advice in a post a while back, which I am doing, as are many others. So slating people and saying that they are doing nothing to help is wrong as we are onlt doing what you suggested.

The community only want what is good for oscommerce and to see it improve, but with no visible signs of anything happening, it becomes frustrating as you are well aware. You used to be the voice of this community and it was appreciated, but now even you cant help or don't offer help. Again its frustrating and occasionally things boil over. When it does boil over still no one takes any notice. There is a saying that 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. Well it is broke and it needs fixing, we all agree with that.

Offering suggestions does not work because no one takes any notice of them. Bullying people seems to work, as does becoming a community sponsor, so does everyone have to do those things to get things to progress and to move forward.

So lets get positive by asking a very simple question.  What can we so called winers do to make a change and to help move oscommerce forward without getting abused or slated for what we do or suggest?

Edited as removed one large section of text.

Why would I offer help when I get nothing in return ?

It's about everyone giving with one hand and taking with the other.

However, the majority of this "community" takes, and takes, and takes, and takes.

With nothing given in return.  No help.  No ideas.  No time.  No sponsorship.

You and others like you say "this" should be done and "that" should be done.

Yes, agreed.  But by whom exactly ? 

I'm guessing "developers".  Why not ask them why they are not contributing to the core code?

So lets get positive by asking a very simple question.  What can we so called winers do to make a change and to help move oscommerce forward without getting abused or slated for what we do or suggest?

http://library.oscommerce.com/Wiki&en&get_involved

There are some missed page. You and somebody else (addon coders) might add pages for it in github. If you are intrested in we/community will help in github navigation. These pages simple html codes. If I see well we could translate all oscommerce.com site into separated languages.

But you might add addons documentations.

Its free!!

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I'm not sure what a "winer" is.  Winner ?  

Not a Coder:  testing ideas, reporting bugs, answering posts.  

Those who have no time:  sponsor osCommerce.  

Those who have no time and no money:  stop posting bull.

Coder:  make some addons, contribute to core. + all the above.

Developers/Hosters/Designers:  buy a corporate sponsorship + all the above.

@@burt - Question has been asked in the general discussion thread. I started a new topic. Hopefully someone will answer as I am curious to know the answer now you have mentioned it.

Winer should read whinger - sorry.

@@Mort-lemur Started this topic with a very simple question that I think interested many of us. By #3 the question was answered, done & dusted.

@@Jack_mcs Then seemed to make a valid point. Unfortunately -

@@wHiTeHaT Seemed to take it as a personal insult!

Is that how the war started daddy? Why is it that whenever topics related to this come up it ends in all out war? I don't believe anyone is trying to be negative or stroppy, us uninitiated/ignorant/innocents are trying to understand the score. I have spent months modifying (the truly excellent) v234bs/edge(don't know which one)), am I wasting my time? I don't know. That is not a question to anyone other than me - I don't want anyone to concern themselves with it, I don't want to start another war!

All seems wasted energy really. Simple questions, simple answers. Not too much to ask?

• 1 year later...

Well if you want an opinion from someone who has used 2.0 and just loaded Edge (Oct 2016), I can provide what I think many might also say.

What I find the most confusing is not so much the different versions. The forum made it clear that GOLD was stable and Edge was the latest. Whoever did the install part did a fantastic job, as installing it was a snap. It could have been better though and reached a lot more people if the instructions clearly said, that a database needs to be created, along with a database user and add the user to that database, as some may think, that this is done with the install.

Where i was confused and still am to a degree is when I got rid of the "!"s and the control panel gave me a thumbs up and it was time to load my products, I was lost. There was nothing to indicate whether easy populate would work with EDGE. That would be nice. I certainly do no want to hand load thousands of products. I actually gave some thought to going back to V2.0.

What would have been a great help is a short list of those tools (with links), that are almost unequivocally needed, especially for eCommerce, like Easy Populate, Headers, etc. Those add-ons, that have proven themselves to be especially useful. Sort of a minimum add-on required thing.

And last a single forum thread showing last first, that keeps everyone up to date on the latest and greatest. Something that will give everyone a good feeling,t hat they are at least starting down the right path. Just my thoughts..

All and all, a great job by a lot of good developers. Kudos

@@tc-truck You raised some good points and hopefully those that should, will take notice, but I doubt they will.

If you have used oscommerce before, there is a database upgrade addon somewhere. It would be better linking to that rather than easy populate. It may also be possible to link to something that explains how to use current data in the latest version, what tables need keeping and those that need altering. The chances are that if you had questions, someone before you would have already asked it, so a search of the forum would have found the answers you needed.

@@14steve14

Are you referring to Database Admin? It looks like a good Addon, but does not seem to be replacement for Easy Populate. It looks to be a in Admin Panel substitute for phpMyAdmin. Or do I have the wrong Addon? Have you personally used both Addons? Easy Populate is the best Addon we every used. It has saved us a tremendous amount of time as we updated our osCommerce store each week with thousands of products. We are starting all over with OSC v3.2.4! EDGE

If so, it is located here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4182

And "Database admin v3.0" has been updated for osCommerce V2.3.4

Easy Populate, which we love can be found here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7725

And Easy Populate V9.0 has been updated for osCommerce V2.3.3.2 and higher

Both latest versions need to be gotten too by clicking on the (show # more downloads)

Note to to other EDGE users: I am not recommending or not recommending Database admin because I have not installed it, nor have I examined it, but we have used Easy Populate and found it to be very helpful since we had up to 8,000 products at one time. We just added it to Edge and it works very well. 

Archived