• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change image on option selection

Hi

Is it possible to change the article images with the selection of options? I have found several addons, tested them, but could not get to work one of them.

So, I tried myself to find a simple solution:
I added a new column 'options_values_image' to table 'products_attributes', an ajax script to product_info.php and wrote a new file to select the appropriate image for each option.

Work half done: In the frontend, apart from some minor (cosmetic) issues the image change works as intended - with a single product image the change is really easy (demo: http://www.video-stuff.de/demo/bootstrap/matrox-g200-p-1.html- option: Model), with a set of images it was a bit more complicated but also possible (demo: http://www.video-stuff.de/demo/bootstrap/samsung-galaxy-p-28.html - option:case). And the colorbox also works.

But where I currently really stuck, is the question how to get the options images into the database in the admin area? It's surely possible to add something for that to the products_attributes menu. But is the products_attributes really worth the effort? You can use it if you have a handful of products with some attributes - but with hundreds of articles with a lot of different options using this menu is really a nightmare!
Integrating the image upload into the Ajax AttributesManager (which I really like) would be perhaps a better solution, but not all store owners have this tool in use.
Or would it a better idea to create a separate file for that purpose? I'm not sure!

Any ideas?

J.J.

I think most of us agree that the an overhaul for the attributes page is long overdue.

There were a few discussions in the past but no solution emerged from it.

An AJAX solution would be very nice. At the moment the page loads every single time you click on a button which really is very annoying especially when you have many attributes to handle.

If I am not mistaken the Attributes Manager by surfalot requires you to access each product to edit anything right?

I personally like the solution in the AAS (Alternative Administration System).

At this very moment the admin area is not officially bootstrapped yet but once that is done why not use a mix of modals and AJAX, like you used in your shipping quotes addon.

Or a separate page as it is now but instead of keeping them open use the collapse or tabs class to open/close/switch the Options, Option Values and Product Attributes Areas combined with AJAX.

• 4 weeks later...

@dedokta...for about 10 years I did it like you had suggested, so for multiple images per attribute I would just find them based on a file name convention. It served its purpose and it was a quick fix...

During my BS upgrade, I had added a product attribute image table instead and just stored image names in that table like you would the main product images.

mysql>  desc products_attributes_images;
+------------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field                  | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id                     | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| products_attributes_id | int(11)      | NO   | MUL | NULL    |                |
| image                  | varchar(256) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| htmlcontent            | text         | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| sort_order             | int(11)      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| view_type              | int(11)      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |

Now, as for the admin side, I hadn't the time to do anything yet as I use a php script to load csv data and I do most of the product management in the frontend instead. So I guess that's on the back burner. It's kinda hard to develop based on a you know soon to be obsolete code base....

Archived