• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best to start from scratch with latest V and export/import data ?

lancie49

Good evening ppl.

I run a very small shop currently using V2.3.2 originally setup by someone no longer with us.

We are having issues with some members not being able to complete a purchase using Paypal.

The system locks.

I feel it would be a good idea to update to V2.3.4 but not having much experience with this stuff I'm reluctant to do an upgrade considering possible problems occurring.

I was wondering if it was a more simple method to do a fresh install of V2.3.4 and then an export/import of data to that new version.

We only have approx 10 items in the shop so adding them in again is no concern.

What I want to keep is the customer and order details from the older version.

Is export/import likely to work in my situation, if so, how do I go about doing that ?

Thanks for any help  :)

Lance

from Down Under in OZ  :thumbsup:

It is possible to upgrade step-by-step from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 to 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.3.2 to 2.3.3.3 to 2.3.3.4 and finally to 2.3.4. This may be a more desirable choice if you're not sure what customizations (add-ons and custom code changes) your original developer added. Or, you certainly can go ahead and install 2.3.4 and migrate the database step-by-step through the versions listed. That way, you can be confident that you have a clean installation and know exactly what's installed. As a bonus, you'll still have your products. However, you will lose any customizations and have to find and install them again.

Either way, you can first clone your current system (files and database) and practice on a private copy of osC, so you can play and test without fear of corrupting your live store. When you're confident you've got it right, you can cut over to the new (formerly private) copy for production use. You might want to re-migrate the database, to make sure you haven't lost any recent transactions.

Note that your PayPal problem may have nothing to do with being at 2.3.2, and could be something else (although 2.3.2 is old enough that it might have problems with newer PHP versions). Anyway, be sure to search this forum for discussions on PayPal to see if there's something easily fixed. It would be good to get to 2.3.4 just on general principles, but you won't have to rush the process.

Thanks for that Phil.

You've given me something to think about.

I'll digest what you've said, and no doubt be back with 1 or 12 more questions. 

As I said I'm not very experienced at this sort of stuff so I'll need all the help I can get. :wacko:

Thanks mate  :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just want to be clear about something. I have a new client who runs oscommerce 2.2. His hosting company had upgraded php a couple times and now the site is broken. I am trying to move his site to my server.

My intention has been to start with a fresh oscommerce, the newest one, and just migrate his data over. In order to do this, I'm going to need to upgrade the database over a dozen times. Is this correct? There is no add-on, no tool to bring this up-to-date?

Click on the links in my sig for info.

If you are going to start with the newest one, then you don't need to worry about upgrade steps to the database. You can try to import the data (products, customers, orders etc) in. 

• 2 weeks later...

@@Hotclutch, could you explain your reasoning? @@threex5 has osC 2.2 data that they seem to want to preserve. If they install a later osC version, such as 2.3.4 (Gold or BS), they will still need to upgrade their old database to the new level. Do not, unless you are an expert with osC, attempt to selectively import old data into the new database. You will make a mess of it! Take the old database (preserve a backup copy of it) and apply its schema updates step by step, to get to the new database schema. You will have a current osC with a current schema database containing your existing data.

Archived