• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Trustworthy E-commerce Infographic

burt

I particularly like the idea of number of orders shipped.

Could work 2 ideas into one with number of orders shipped since the store opened.

Could work well at the top of shopping cart page or in the top navbar 

That's the bit that grabbed me too.  Showing that you have shipped X orders to Y customers has to be a good way to instill some trust into a potential buyer.  Not so good for brand new stores, but excellent for stores with lots of orders.

I see a lot of "flat" designs (responsive) which have a nice little system of 3 columns usually underneath a slider/carousel in the home page - that could also be a good area to add info.  

post-69-0-49270100-1432729491_thumb.jpg

Mockup only, to give an idea

@@burt on your markup above I assume that is just for the concept? my personal view is smaller and in the header - less is more :) - a nice touch may be to make the "Happy customers" box clickable and link to the reviews page.....

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@douglaswalker Dont get me started on Reviews - I have quite a few and Im sure they help with SEO - but often receive responses like the one below when I send a review reminder via mailbeez

"I logged on to the site to try and leave feedback. I found the process long winded and clunky having to find the items again and gave up as I am too busy to be wasting time on this. If you can't be bothered to invest the necessary in your site to make it simple I haven’t got time to keep trying. You can always outsource this to a company like (commercial link omitted)"

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

That's the type of response that led me to write that feedback giving system that works similar as ebays - with a new page in the customers account, instead of having to try to find the products page, hit the reviews button and so on.

@@burt was that in 28 days?

Another aspect of this...

Do you want your competitors knowing how many customers/orders you've served ?

On the one hand, the data could be interesting to potential buyers as some type of guarantee that they're about to deal with a reputable outfit, on the other hand the data could be just as interesting to your competition..

order's number can divide with customer's number. Is it dangerous? What does it mean? what competitors can do?

I dont know the UK customs but in my country the annual company reports should be opened yearly for everyone by laws. So the customers or the orders number are not relevant for competitors.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I've just moved the quick little hack @@burt made for me to the checkout_confirmation to prevent it "being" obvious to my competitors... and hopefully helps customers build some "trust" they are dealing with an experienced reputable company...

post-270094-0-73876900-1432922228_thumb.jpg

Whilst I think in some cases this could be a good idea, I also see that in some cases it may work against a store.

Letting customers know the good bits is a good idea, but would you trust the store owner not to have somehow faked the figures. Although this would probably not be the case, I bet there are people that would or could do something like that. Increase the number of sales and the store looks better than it possibly is. I know some shops that fake reviews to make things look better than they really are.

Looking at the infographic, I certainly would not add a delivery date as that is out of my hands once I have handed the order over to the carrier. If you change it to an estimated date, then its no good as its not accurate. Better left out.

Most of what they suggest should already be in place on all good stores, and I suppose adding a module to the header or footer to allow store owners to choose whether they want to show certain information would not be a bad idea. You could also get into adding modules for legal stuff that ought to be included, but I think that is another topic and regional.

Sometimes giving too much information can cause confusion.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I like what bookdepository does, an animated view of people shopping

http://www.bookdepository.com

now , they list country, product and time ago, but if you leave out time ago, and randomize a little bit further the results I think you have basically a bestseller list without giving out too much info

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

How time flies, I remember well writing this blog post - it's from January 2011 !  

@@bruyndoncx almsot the same data as that animated view but without a map.

Could we possibly do something with Google maps ?  How about a whole new shop page

that shows a google map with all the orders made in the last 24 hours (or 48 hours or week or whatever)...

How time flies, I remember well writing this blog post - it's from January 2011 !  

@@bruyndoncx almsot the same data as that animated view but without a map.

Could we possibly do something with Google maps ?  How about a whole new shop page

that shows a google map with all the orders made in the last 24 hours (or 48 hours or week or whatever)...

if you click on the widget, you get a separate page, I was looking at the source trying to understand how it worked.

I could see how it could be translated to an oscommerce shop, if you fetch the map coordinates for the address, which I have in some other script that was written by you ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Yes ... that Google Map Maker uses Lats and Longs, which we dont have available.  

The best we have available is the delivery_postcode and delivery_country.   The Gmaps .js API can use these, but the much preferable Embed api cannot as that relies on Lats and Longs.   It is the Embed API that we need to use...as it is this one which is able to plot lots of locations on 1 map.  The .js API is more for plotting 1 location on 1 map.

Options;

1.  Could we store the Lat and Long of each order as it comes in?

or 

2.  Could we programmatically get the Lat and Long of each postcode/country when we build the Map Interface.

#1 would be better, and fairly simple using the Maps API (I quickly scanned the Terms, see below).  New DB Table: Order ID - Date - Latitude - Longitude

Then a New Maps module to take the last X orders, or orders made this month, or orders made in the last 48 hours - choosable from shop admin.

Anyone care to translate this into English:

1. 10. License Restrictions. Except as expressly permitted under the Terms, or unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), Google's licenses above are subject to your adherence to all of the restrictions below. Except as explicitly permitted in Section 7, you must not (nor may you permit anyone else to): 

1. 10.6 use the Service in a manner that gives you or any other person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery, and visible map data;

10.6 is the only explicit mention of Lats/Longs.  Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether storage of such would be a violation of the Terms.

• 4 weeks later...

Revisiting this.  So far, so good;

I have coded up a system to grab the Lat/Long of the Delivery City, when the order is made => No Core Code changes.

Next I need to write a module to display a Google Map along with those cool little markers for each Delivery.

Maybe even make it so the shopowner can use their own marker...

can you reverse engineer the map from the example site ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Two parts to this;

1.  Store Lat/Long as part of order process.  Done, simple. No Core Code Changes

2.  Module that shows a Map along with the orders.  Fairly simplistic:

Of course, this is hard coded into the "conditions.php" page for my testing purposes.  The next step is to get this into a Content Module and give it some options;  

- map zoom (some sites only sell locally, others worldwide)

- map center (probably auto center based on the address of the shop)

- how many orders to show on the map

and so on

But it's taking shape, no?

Archived