• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Excessive Bandwith being used

zefeena

Has the 'from the blog' slider disappeared as well as both sets of social bookmarks?

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its not loading at all for me, so i guess that's my internet, and my cue to go to bed.

i'll be having nightmares about big images!

thank you for your help. Much appreciated. 

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Can you post the contents of your htaccess file here? or email it to me if you want. I am curious as to why that code is not working, it should help your site a bit.

@@zefeena I ran your index page through a test here: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150509_1H_B15/and the load time on first test was in excess of 100 seconds - from looking at the results my interpretation is that for some reason your site is trying to load every image in your images directory - hence the massive bandwidth use and the very very slow load time.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

It's better than yesterday, when it was timing out. There are a few things that i noticed that can be attended to, to help speed up this site, and reduce bandwidth usage. It will probably never be fast, as Burt pointed out, but Zefeena has to find a way of making it work now that she has spent so much on it.

1) There are a number of css and js files that can be minimised.

2) If those social bookmarks are not being used, then disable them (they are part of header tags SEO, nothing else)

3) Install this addon http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8927

4) Optimise the images; optimising images is not just about reducing their size, you should also try to get the width and height settings to match those of the actual images.

@@Hotclutch @@zefeena Im convinced that it is the images - 97% of the bandwidth on page load and 94% of the requests are for images - it is trying to load 1000's of images on first page load, question is why is this happening?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@Hotclutch @@zefeena this report gives a clearer view - look at the boxes for requests and bytes - the image data and quantity is massive!

http://www.webpagetest.org/breakdown.php?test=150509_1H_B15&run=1&cached=0

you really need to integrate some thumbnail contribution, every thumb loads the real image.

I also have adaptive-images script running, it avoids people with phones to download big images they cant properly display, it creates thumbs and caches the files.

http://adaptive-images.com/

From the site

Adaptive Images detects your visitor's screen size and automatically creates, caches, and delivers device appropriate re-scaled versions of your web page's embeded HTML images. No mark-up changes needed. It is intended for use with Responsive Designs and to be combined with Fluid Image techniques.

Why? Because your site is being increasingly viewed on smaller, slower, low bandwidth devices. On those devices your desktop-centric images load slowly, cause UI lag, and cost you and your visitors un-necessary bandwidth and money. Adaptive Images fixes that.

It is very easy to install.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

@@zefeena I ran your index page through a test here: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150509_1H_B15/and the load time on first test was in excess of 100 seconds - from looking at the results my interpretation is that for some reason your site is trying to load every image in your images directory - hence the massive bandwidth use and the very very slow load time.

If that is the case then, it makes no wonder i'm using so much bandwidth.  But why would it be doing that?  I presume some setting is wrong?  I checked my old site, and the images are in the same place, it seems, so is this something in my index file that is wrong?  As you know I don't really understand it. 

you really need to integrate some thumbnail contribution, every thumb loads the real image.

I also have adaptive-images script running, it avoids people with phones to download big images they cant properly display, it creates thumbs and caches the files.

http://adaptive-images.com/

From the site

It is very easy to install.

Hi, 

I don't really want to mess with the site until I know what's already gone wrong.  It really cannot be the sizes of my images.  Maybe they could be smaller, but an average size of 200kb, should not cause this problem, and has never done before.  If Mort-Lemur is correct about all images loading, then even reducing my images to half size again, is still going to use massive bandwidth.  I'm currently using 2GB a day, and with very few customers - presumably most have gone as they fed of waiting for load up. 

The list of IP's using large bandwidth that I was sent to block is now looking more likely they are actual customers so I really need a way to check these ip addresses against my customers so validate that.  If there is anywhere I can find that information in my database or something it would be really useful. 

Kellie

@@zefeena I cant work out what is going on, but when I look at the source code for your home page it is almost 77.000 lines long - as a comparison, mine which has more images on the homepage than yours is only 1,200 lines long.....

Its almost as if your whole site and product listing is loading as soon as you enter the site.

In addition to that problem, i'm still have that old problem with incomplete addresses.  I think the paypal address over rides when people have saved their password, but I have two orders which have only the first line as Flat no, and no street address or building number.  So that something else that i would have hoped would not be an issue with the new site.  Quite honestly, i wish i had never updated the old one, i was more than happy with it until the stupid paypal stopped working!

Hi, 

I don't really want to mess with the site until I know what's already gone wrong.  It really cannot be the sizes of my images.  Maybe they could be smaller, but an average size of 200kb, should not cause this problem

Kellie

You may take a look at some image sizes and the quantity of images displayed. For example, you have a background image that takes ages to load: http://sewingchest.co.uk/dresscode_theme/dresscode_images/blog-back.jpg. It's 1600x1600 px and the botttom of the image is not even visible. It just shows under 'from the blog' section that is the only transparent part. You can easily crop it and resize/optimize this image.

Also I've found a lot of images that does not show at all at some page loads because of missing names(ie. http://sewingchest.co.uk/images/[empty]).Those might be products without images.

There was 'block' called from the blog, and i attempted to remove that, that might be the black bit maybe?  Either way, this image is part of the theme and i'm having trouble knowing what i can and cannot remove, i can't see if i have or not, my site will not load for me, my internet is too slow!

The host is supposed to be doing something to speed it up, but it seems to me there is something drastically wrong with the whole thing, so i'm not feeling very confident that things will change any time soon.

I think i may have to bite the bullet a second time and get a new website built AGAIN!

There were 6 banners activated in the banner manager, all called index, i have switched them all off, the centre images have gone, but it still timed out when i ran it through gtmetrix, so it doesn't seem any better.  The banners would have been something to do with the theme.

@@zefeena it's hard to tell if there's some misconfiguration or it's the theme, but definitely your site looks not fine to me.

Index has more than 600 gif images plus more than 500 jpg images. 1,300 occurrences of the "product-image-wrapper" class, 73,000 lines of HTML code... it loads tons of stuff, insane!!! Products pages are not so huge.

Definitelly talk to the person who has configured it.

@@zefeena it's hard to tell if there's some misconfiguration or it's the theme, but definitely your site looks not fine to me.

Index has more than 600 gif images plus more than 500 jpg images. 1,300 occurrences of the "product-image-wrapper" class, 73,000 lines of HTML code... it loads tons of stuff, insane!!! Products pages are not so huge.

Definitelly talk to the person who has configured it.

Yes  I am, and he is supposed to be looking at it,     @@Hotclutch sent me new code to put in my htaccess file and it definitely seems to have improved it, though its always hard for me to test as my internet speed is terrible anyway, so no-ones site loads quickly for me!

Thank you to everyone for the support, particularly @@Hotclutch for what seems like the fix.

I think I still need to keep an eye on the bandwidth and do some serious sorting out of this dreadful theme,  but at least people should stay around long enough to order!

Kellie

@@zefeena I dont think you have a fix. just some breathing space

You (or your developer) need to fix why so much data is being loaded - your site should be a lot faster

I got my host/programmer from here!!!!

Where is he/she ?  Why are they not all over this thread explaining what has gone wrong, what they have done to try to correct it and so on.

Archived