• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Payment selection not working on some browsers

We are running OSC Bootstrap. We have had a few customers claiming problems during the checkout process. They have been unable to make a payment selection, the payment options not responding. This is not a general problem as 99% of our transactions are going OK so we can only presume that it is a problem associated with a particular browser or device maybe?? We are not developers or coders so we are grateful for any advice to fix the problem or any advice that we can pass on to these customers.

It could very well be a problem with a specific device or browser, but without knowing which one(s), no one will be able to replicate and diagnose the problem. Please find out from the customers exactly what device and browser (version numbers, too) they were having problems with.

To confirm, this is osC 2.3.4 + Bootstrap, and not the iOSC add-on?

If BS doesn't play well with IE9, that's bad news. IE9 is generally considered "fairly" up to date (at least, compared to the IE6 that some people are still forced to use), so I would hope that BS would at least degrade gracefully upon encountering IE9. Is this on a mobile device or on an actual desktop? If mobile, maybe it could just fall back to desktop mode for that browser. If it's failing on an IE9 desktop, I would call that a Bootstrap bug, something that Twitter would want to correct.

In the meantime, does anyone have any known workarounds for BS problem areas? It might result in worse appearance/function on modern browsers, but at least could work on older browsers. I would imagine that this has been pretty thoroughly discussed somewhere in development forums.

@@Heatherbell...I too have seen more payment errors with BS and I have been talking to our customers and I am beginning to think for me it was they are trying to order on their mobile and there's always a better chance to type in the wrong number with mobiles...

Get the customer's IE version you should be able to duplicate the error if it is IE version dependent. Also, consider disabling payment options for now? Just provide the most important payment option? Oh, I recall the original 2.3 has some js binded to the payment option element and I had to modify mine for the BS so could this be it? My BS version wasn't Gold and I had started back in Nov of last year...

I suspect the error may not be BS related. The errors are well documented in the BS site and on the internet. Hey do you know the required attribute for input filed doesn't work on safari/iPhone? So that's the way it is with cross platform. Just make sure that there's a backup plan for customers who are trying to register on an iPhone...I think I ended up using modal...damn Safari...life could've been easier...

Many thanks for all the responses. The links provided by ArtcoInc are interesting but go over my head, sorry I have very little knowledge here so excuse my ignorance. The customer who reported the problem with IE9 has not got back to us with the device they were using but my desktop is running on IE9 and our website shows no problems there so I can only infer that they were not using a desktop. We have had a few customer reports of this problem but we are worried that we are losing customers here so any practical suggestions are much appreciated, our website is cornishhoney.co.uk

@@Heatherbell...tested your site and couple issues I noticed...

1) Probably should secure pages after registered/login and especially during checkout. You probably don't take CC info over your page but it would be a good idea as passwords being transmitted. I personally would never buy from a site with login/register page not secured.

2) Ask you customer to click on the radio button and not just the payment option area. The js that was supposed to let your customer to click on a payment option area to select the radio button I don't think it was working properly. I'd tested that on both the Friefox and IE 8 (I'm still an XP ole timer). The payment radio button works just not the row/area...

3) You BS install had shown strange behavior. It was showing me the mobile version on IE8 desktop, but regular desktop version on Firefox desktop. A lot of things were broken on the IE8, now perhaps these could be fixed just by fixing the viewport issue. 

I also run a BS version and it works on IE8 and etc so this isn't a BS issue...I don't believe...

You may want to pass these back to the person who had helped you in setting up the site...there were errors in the user.css...Tim

@@Heatherbell, I don't think I have the answer on how to fix your issues...but please look into learning how to use troubleshooting tool like Firebug...for instance you can see from the screen capture below that you have an extra bracket in your user.css line 132...focus on files that you had modified and learn the difference in show stopping verses non-show stopping errors like web tool kit stuffs...also, my bad, I would just focus on fixing the issues related to IE9 and not 8...you cant worry about that 5% unless IE8 was like 95% for you...

I have a non-standard checkout page so I don't think the js on my payment options page would work for you...I'll let you know when I have a fix...so I guess all your customers can click on the payment option radio box and do a select, right?

Archived