• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help with out of town message

I am going on a trip for two months and need to provide a message that certain products can not be delivered until after a certain date. It is only the items from one manufacturer, so I thought a good way might be to add some code to the product_info.php page do display the message if the manufacturer matches the one I need the warning on. Does this sound like the best way?

I think you're going to have a bunch of unhappy customers. Some will miss your message that delivery is delayed, buy and pay for the product, and raise a ruckus if not promptly delivered. I would disable those products (e.g., set stock to 0 or disable in some other way). Maybe you can add a message to each product description affected, or (if there are a lot of them), temporarily add some sort of banner message on your pages. Just tell them "out of stock, deliveries expected to resume around June 15".

I thought about putting a message on the front page, but most people would miss that since they usually link from a Google search to the product info page. So it seemed logical to put some code on the product info page so that if the item is from that manufacturer, it would put a big red warning message just under the product name. There aren't a lot of items, about 50 I think, but I didn't want to have to change the status of each one and then change it back later.

@@chemist4

A couple of thoughts.....

To change the products status quickly for a certain manufacturer may be worth looking at the AAS mod by @@gadlol

Or another option is to use the pop-up manager mod - either as it stands or with a change to call up the pop-up only if a certain manufacturer is viewed

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@chemist4

A couple of thoughts.....

To change the products status quickly for a certain manufacturer may be worth looking at the AAS mod by @@gadlol

Or another option is to use the pop-up manager mod - either as it stands or with a change to call up the pop-up only if a certain manufacturer is viewed

Thanks Heather, AAS looks like a good idea anyway. I haven't found the other one: is "pop-up manager" the name of it?

@@chemist4

Non Bootstrap version: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8743

Bootstrap only version: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9204

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I installed Popup Layers, but it doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't save both start date and end date at the same time, often loses one of them, and appears to have the status indicators backwards. When the indicator says it is inactive, it turns the background on the page pink, but doesn't show the message. When I change it to active it doesn't do anything.

I can go through the installation again to make sure I didn't miss something, but I would think there would be errors if something was wrong.

@@chemist4   I have it running fine on both a standard 2.3.4 store and also on a test 2.3.4BS store - so there are no errors in the mod itself....

Archived