• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mystery Content

dallasbird

I have a frustrating problem, which I am sure most of you will think me an idiot for not being able to figure out, but I really want it to  be resolved. a small number 34< shows up in the top right hand corner of my site.  I have looked for it everywhere and can't find it.  I notice that in my admin section under modules/boxes the 34 shows up as an option above the other boxes in same column as sort order and action.  Does anyone know where this might be located?  On my index page the screen flashes white with the number 34 before the rest of site shows up. It is on same line on index.php as my header tag.  When I uses firebug to look at it it shows up just before the meta content.:

<body>
34 <
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">

Please help!!!!!

I have a frustrating problem, which I am sure most of you will think me an idiot for not being able to figure out, but I really want it to  be resolved. a small number 34< shows up in the top right hand corner of my site.  I have looked for it everywhere and can't find it.  I notice that in my admin section under modules/boxes the 34 shows up as an option above the other boxes in same column as sort order and action.  Does anyone know where this might be located?  On my index page the screen flashes white with the number 34 before the rest of site shows up. It is on same line on index.php as my header tag.  When I uses firebug to look at it it shows up just before the meta content.:

<body>
34 <
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">

Please help!!!!!

Sounds like you tried to add a new box module, try removing the module from Admin.

"I have looked for it everywhere" means exactly what? How have you searched? Did you use grep (Linux) or findstr (Windows) to search every file on your site for the string "34"?

It's possible that someone hacked your site and added code that (among other things) accidentally left some garbage outside of a PHP block (<?php ... ?>). You might have a botched install of some mod that did the same thing. Since it's being output so early in the process (right after <body>), it could be almost anywhere. The first thing to check is the "last modified" date on all your site files -- anything changed later than you can account for should be carefully examined, and compared to a stock install file.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have another question that looks like perhaps there is a botched instal somewhere on my site.  I thought it might be this.  I used to have live chat on my site, then I removed it, but I always felt that something had remained. Also I know I had a early instal of seo urls that I messed up, but I have never been able to find the fiiles. The 34 shows up exactly where the live chat used to be.  I do all the updates and I am the only one who works with the code - this problem has been here for awhile, yes I am embarrassed.  

Here is a link to my store - it is an active site, and I sell adult sex toys - so don't look if your offended. - 

here - my error log is ?my_value. I have used firebug but I haven't tried grep or findstr  I will try them.  Any help would be appreciated.  My store is slow,

especially when going to different categories so I am trying to get clean up.

Thank you for your help in advance

J

Thank you Malcolm,

just to double check I went through includes/template_top.php

admin/includes/template_top.php

includes/application_top.php

admin/includes/application_top.php

line for line, no 34, additionally I have updated all four files recently while trying to figure this out to the latest 2.3.4 2014 edition and re-did the headertag code and any other contributions from instal notes.  So the error is definitely not in these files.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

You may have two separate code problems (list the page HTML source, such as with Ctrl+U on Firefox or Chrome). I see a 34 as the very first output, just before <!DOCTYPE html>, and a stray < as the first thing in the <head> section. Anyway, if you've been searching for "34<", you're not going to find it. It's possible that the 3 and 4 are being output separately, if you couldn't find a "34". There are lots of places stray code could be hiding -- either something printing out the number(s), or the numbers are sitting outside of any PHP block (<?php ... ?>). If it's in application_top.php, or one of the language files, it would show up before anything else. Make sure you are using a search tool that searches all the files on the site (or at the very least, the .php files). Download your site to a PC and use grep or findstr there, if you can't do it on the host.

I would find and fix these two problems first, as they may be causing a cascade of problems down the line. The DOCTYPE might not be recognized at all, putting the browser into a weird mode.

Phil,

the stray < was added the other day when I tried to instal configuration cache code on includes/application_top.php

I'll start there again.  I am not going to be able to get to a pc, so I'll have to search in my own method.  Will get back and thanks.

J

I have ssh'd into account and used this command

find . -type f -name "*.php" -exec grep -il '34' {} \;

I have also tried the 3 and 4 and < separately and it lists all the files but doesn't output where the error is - any suggestions?

I got rid of the '34' by using this command: find . -type f -name "*.php" -exec grep -il '34<' {} \;

it gave me three files to check. conditions.php, privacy.php and bm_manufactuers.php - I checked the first two then replaced the bm_manu file with new 2.3.4 file and done.  Now I just need to fix the <.  this one doesn't show when using grep and find. Thanks for your help!

Archived