• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help start website

ken33

Hi,was recomended oscommerce when starting my own dropship-website. Is it the creation of my site you can help with,or is it software in my already started website? mvh k.

You will need to add addons. Addons that would for sure help you is this addon:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4129

Keep a record of all addons you do. However, have you looked at Magneto? Opencart? Cs-cart? Magneto is multi-store capable out of box, opencart you will need dropshipper addon. Cs-cart is commercial so it will cost you. Magneto you will need to be on VPS though.

If you really don't know anything about PHP than I highly recommend either cs-cart or opencart. If you know php than oscommerce or magneto.

Oscommerce is going a different approach which would benefit it's just that not sure when it will be released. I don't know what stage the development is in at this time. That's why I went with Magneto as I dropped oscommerce. Burt was having a very good positive thing going with his responsive oscommerce. However, I am not sure if he left oscommerce as he was fed up with the development process. If he left it's a huge loss to oscommerce as a whole. Oscommerce right now could be dead and that's a shame.

ok thanks guys,but i dont really understand much..Do i first have to set up a website myself? then use add-ons from oscommerce or magneto on that site? Salehoo's site is up in my tabs,and im thinking of paying the 84usd to get in to their system,but should i get a domain first? mvh k

@@ken33

1. Buy a domain name
  2. Buy some hosting and point your domain name to it
  3. download and set up cart software (OSC or another)
  4. modify that software to act and look as you want (by installing modification packages or altering the code yourself)
  5. Set up and configure your payment systems
  6. Set up and configure shipping options
  7. Load the site with your products
  8. Go live and start selling.................

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

If you don't know much about php than I would recommend opencart. It's very easy to install and prety much install n go cart. However, for drop shipping you will need a add on to work correctly. With oscommerce you would install than addon using a program called winmerge. Yes you will have to setup a host. You should look into VPS if you go with Magneto. Magneto is somewhat hard to install for a newbie and has a big learning curve. However, it has pretty much everything you need. Addons they have also some paid and some free. Oscommerce has everything you want by addon. A big difference. Some addons are hard to implement as a lot of them just old code.

To me you sound like a beginner to be honest I would go with cs-cart or opencart for your needs. Cs-cart keep in mind is commercial and cost I think $350 for a lifetime license. However, that cart has everything you want.

Ken, if you don't have a lot of technical background for website operation, you may best look elsewhere for those services that do a lot for you.  Thomas mentioned opencart, and it's a good one, but even then you'll have to be ready for some technical site maintenance.

If you just want to run a shop and now mess with a lot of technical stuff, go with services that set up your site and pretty much allow you to start posting your items.  Downside..it costs for those services

Best wishes.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@ken33 thing is opencart is free and you will need a addon multidrop ship which costs like $150 I believe. Another thing I like about cs-cart is the way you can edit the template of your store very easy. Things not added for cs-cart which will cost you extra is shipping cost estimator, recover abandoned cart. I think opencart has those built in. cs-cart in my opinion is very easy and something to look into. It's free to try so keep that in mind.

@@ken33

1. Buy a domain name
  2. Buy some hosting and point your domain name to it
  3. download and set up cart software (OSC or another)
  4. modify that software to act and look as you want (by installing modification packages or altering the code yourself)
  5. Set up and configure your payment systems
  6. Set up and configure shipping options
  7. Load the site with your products
  8. Go live and start selling.................

Ok i understand more,but step 2,what does that mean? point my domain name to it?

you will buy a domain name lets say example.com

Than you go to lets say hosting.com and buy hosting service

They will have 2 nameservers lets say

ns1.hosting.com

ns2.hosting.com

Than where you registered your domain you will add those nameservers

Most hosting companies do this for you if you register and buy hosting from them. Some may even give you a domain for free

to me it maybe better if you go with managed VPS. With managed vps they will do this for you. With shared you need to know stillknow how to secure site, etc. Managed VPS of course will be more than shared.

However, if you do go with VPS than maybe check out magneto.

I give you a breakdown in my opinion of the carts:

Oscommerce - Great shopping cart. tons of addons. Addons can be a pain to install. Updating can be a pain. Good for people that have knowledge of PHP and want to customize. Great support

Opencart - Good shopping cart for beginners. Extensions can be pricey. Have vqmod which I don't like. They use MyISam over InnoDB (You can fix this with a script). Overall a good cart for beginners. Ok support, development team is horrible though very nasty.

Mageneto - In my opinion best cart out there. Learning curve high. Need a dedicated server (VPS for example). Extensions can be pricey. Not good for beginners. Owned now by Ebay which has me wary

CS-Cart - Commercial cart. Very good cart. Easy to install. I love hoe you can edit template with ease. It will cost you $385 for lifetime license, $1450 for Multi-Vendor. It sounds like a lot but the features included it's well worth the price. Support is ok though.

Ok i understand more,but step 2,what does that mean? point my domain name to it?

Your domain name is registered with a "registrar", a separate matter from the hosting. By "pointing" it to your host's nameservers, you are telling the Web's Domain Name Service how to map your domain name to an IP address (that of the host nameservers, and from there, to the actual server). It takes from 24 to 72 hours for this mapping to propagate around the world and be usable by anyone. This is one of the most basic steps in setting up a website. Between your hosting service provider and your domain name registrar, they can tell you exactly how to do it. Better yet, consider using a hosting service that takes care of obtaining and managing the domain name for you (for a fee). Just be careful to make sure that you end up owning the domain name, regardless of who the registrar is. Some unscrupulous hosting companies retain ownership of your domain name and won't let you take it with you if you decide to change hosting services in the future.

Thanks phil and others. Domain provider and hosting service is same. I understand more now after good help from you guys:)

About salehoo,how fast can money start coming in if i get a wbsite up running and paying for access to salehoo? I have tons of time i can use on this atleast 6 months. mvh k

Archived