• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

version upgrade help

kioni2005

i am running 2.3.3.4 installed through hosting company the version checker says 2.3.4 is available. So i went to control panel of hosting company for my domain to try an upgrade. It offers me a manual upgrade download and requests a url unsure if the url its asking me for is mine or the url from the original install through my hosting company. any help would be good as id like to keep up to date. what is the difference from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4 any one know?

Do you have any mods in your store? 2.3.4 changes some enhancements to jquery. Also it adds if there is no shipping selected order would be blocked.

All changes view this:

http://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes&v2_3_4

If you have no mods than just install 2.3.4. Before proceeding though backup your database.

What your hosts are offering is not really an update. It will remove and reinstall the latest version of oscommerce and may overwrite your database. It may even install it in a different folder within your hosting account if you tell it to. Be very careful what you do.

If you look here http://www.oscommerce.com/Productsand download the latest version of the software there are upgrade instructions in the package. Read them before you decide what to do as there are many steps. If you do decide to use the step by step upgade path, save a copy of your store into another folder in your hosting account before starting to apply any changes.

If your store is basic with no serious mods installed I would personally install the latest version and transfer all your database information across, but this may be where you need paid for help.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

There is a paid for help area within these forums That would be the pace to post if you require a quote. be sure to give all and more information that you think someone would require.

i received an email from one click install telling me to go to my hosting control panel to upgrade from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4 seems to have gone ok but i no longer have any admin any idea how i can login has the login changed?

when i try to log on as admin it shows blank page saying not refering correctly

i do have a few mods running the site runs to a degree it has changed slightly but i want to try fix admin first before i know whats happened This page is not redirecting properly in the browser

When you clicked the one click install button you probably then had to enter a file location for the setup and also some new data for admin user name and password. You should have received an email letting you know where the admin and store are located. Make sure that the files are where you expect them to be. You also will need to check that the correct database is being used.

If you eventually get the new site working you will probably have to add all of your updates and addons again.

Failing that you can restore the previous version of your site using your backup copy that you have made. You did back up first didnt you.

When i upgraded it did ask if i want to back up i choose yes but now i have no admin at all. Seems then i need to remove and reinstall and start all over again, why issue an upgrade that does not work. i am not going through this every there is an upgrade.

Cpanel and the one click software is letting you know there is a newer version available. That new version will overwrite your current version and also any changes that you had previously made, as I explained in my post no 3 on this very thread. You should have followed the official upgrade path and files supplied with the official version of oscommerce. There are no shortcuts to that process without overwriting your current files and setup. Hows does cpanel know what you have done to the existing files.

Just use your most recent backup copy of the files. Hopefully your host does daily backups of the database, and your other files which you can ask them to reinstall, so you should not have lost that much information.

There are some people who are working on a new version of oscommerce where upgrades like this should be possible as the code core files are left unchanged when adding new components. Whether this will be adopted throughout all the addons is as yet unknown.

When i upgraded it did ask if i want to back up i choose yes but now i have no admin at all. Seems then i need to remove and reinstall and start all over again, why issue an upgrade that does not work. i am not going through this every there is an upgrade.

Your host (or their control panel supplier) broke your site. Don't use their "upgrader"; use osCommerce's upgrade. You need to be aware of what an "upgrade" is going to do: a complete new install, an overwrite in the same location, incremental changes to certain files, or even something else. What is it going to do to your database, configure.php files, and product images? You can't just pick up the bottle that says "Drink Me" and guzzle it down.

well either way ive lost 3 months work, hosting company are now call centre based from the phillipines, it said database saved when it doesnt, so back to the very beginning and for what to me looks the same set up as the one ive just wrote off. kinda puts you of using OS if every few month you have to re input hours and hours of data, totally frustrating. Oh well inpatient me guess it serves me right. some long nights ahead.

Dont take this the wrong way, but from this experience I hope you have learned a few things.

1.The first is that you should have a backed up copy of your site on your computer. This is easy to do, and does not take long to do and should be done every time you make any changes.

2. Make sure you use the backup database option in your osc admin.

3. Make sure that your hosts also back up your files, if they do not, I believe there may be an option within cpanel to do this.

4. Do not believe that your hosts support what you install. In general they don't.

5. Do not use the cpanel upgrade option. If an upgrade becomes available, there should be a message in your admin index page. If you see this message download the official files from the oscommerce website and read the documentation included with the files. In many cases the update is not very large, and can be done manually,

6. if you make a manual change to the code on your site keep a record of what you have done. It will allow you to know what you did, and will also make it easier to add it again should something go wrong.

Yep your 100% right on every count, learning the hard way does learn you good though :), i will try find old posts to change a few things as i made no note of what i did when i edited my site. Like getting rid of Zone, increasing size of social media box, editing shipping and payments etc. worth printing out and keep a folder all said and done i might want to build another site for someone.

Archived