• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

More talk about the future of osCommerce

@@Jack_mcsI do not know very well about the history of osC, but had any of the core code of its previous releases been done by "community efforts"?  Tell me if I am wrong - In the past, @@Harald Ponce de Leon and his team developed the core and then the community built add-ons and wrote fixes to go with it.  The directions of osC have never been group-decisions of the community.  For some reason, the team had been very slow on making progress on the core development until Gary, one of the team member, stood up and pushed osC forward proactively and quickly.  Maybe not everyone likes the way Gary asked for the input from the community, but as I see it the new releases will never be published anytime soon if Gary does not dictate the direction.

I feel that we have put too much responsibility on Gary.  All criticisms may not be made directly toward Gary, but they sure sounded like it.  I agree with @@Jack_mcs that Harold should say something since he was fully acknowledged about the responsive design changes and for them to be pushed to the repo.

Best wishes, Eddy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not personally pointing the finger at anyone in particular, and if my post caused offense I am sorry.

Someone somewhere needs to man up and take charge. Someone wants to organise the efforts of many, to ensure that everything that is happening happens for the good of oscommerce. We all agree that the project needs to move forward, so if someone with a bit of organisational skills can step up and get the project moving in the same direction that would be good.

Failing that we can all sit here and argue between ourselves and do nothing and oscomerece will continue heading downwards and many of you will be without work and websites. It really is that simple.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@Jack_mcsI do not know very well about the history of osC, but had any of the core code of its previous releases been done by "community efforts"?  Tell me if I am wrong - In the past, @@Harald Ponce de Leon and his team developed the core and then the community built add-ons and wrote fixes to go with it.

No, the creation of the previous releases were not a joint effort with the community, at least as far as I know. But the community would place bug reports and the team would act on them. After a certain number of fixes, a new version would be released. Or if there was a problem that many were having, some developer would release an addon to fix it. This method allowed the versions to proceed quickly. But they required that first step of being released and that seems to be where the problem is now.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Perhaps I am just being dense, but I can understand why the BS version isn't yet "released into the wild". I'm not very active on any forums (mostly coming here when I have a specific problem I can't suss out myself). But, I am convinced that osC Responsive (I *like* that name) is going to happen. For me, I currently have it only in a test status (using the Gold edition) mainly because of one (to me) major issue - the shipping - in particular, the USPS shipping module. The one that is 'standard' with the core osC doesn't work. an unfortunately, I have not been successful in getting the add-on USPS Methods to work with the osC Responsive. 

I think that @@burt is doing a great job with the development on the responsive codebase. I for one am looking forward to its official release. Until that time, I will keep checking in and trying new ideas to get the shipping module to work so that I can move forward to getting my store updated (official store is using 2.3.4) to the responsive codebase.

Perhaps I am just being dense, but I can understand why the BS version isn't yet "released into the wild". I'm not very active on any forums (mostly coming here when I have a specific problem I can't suss out myself). But, I am convinced that osC Responsive (I *like* that name) is going to happen. For me, I currently have it only in a test status (using the Gold edition) mainly because of one (to me) major issue - the shipping - in particular, the USPS shipping module. The one that is 'standard' with the core osC doesn't work. an unfortunately, I have not been successful in getting the add-on USPS Methods to work with the osC Responsive. 

I think that @@burt is doing a great job with the development on the responsive codebase. I for one am looking forward to its official release. Until that time, I will keep checking in and trying new ideas to get the shipping module to work so that I can move forward to getting my store updated (official store is using 2.3.4) to the responsive codebase.

have a look at the sponsor shipping page for a possible USPS solution: http://www.oscommerce.com/Services&shipping

My suggestion would be to make an official V 2.3.5 , where the only major change from 2.3.4 is that jquey ui is replaced by Bootstrap 3 to make it mobile responsive. 

This would give oscommerce responsive design in the current official stable version right now and then the development of the new 2.4 could proceed at its own pace.

Archived