• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3?

drillsar

I have a heavily modded store front and I just got a severe problem when my host went 5.4. My question is the files that I never modded can I just overwrite those? I am pretty sure some of my mods will not work correctly in 2.3. I am hoping the oscommerce team will rethink this process in the newer version at least for 3.0 if that is ever released. Oscommerce really needs to use a hooks system that is the core system is separate from the mods. A lot of other carts do it this way. Sure you may have to tweak some of the mods to work but not as bad with oscommerce. Also this cart is outdated even with 2.3.4 the $HTTP_GET_VARS is just one that is deprecated code in the script itself. Anyway I was hoping that someone can shed some light on how to go about this.

I agree that your best bet is to install 2.3.4 (or go to 2.3.4bs immediately), and migrate/upgrade your database over to the new one. If your current store is dead, that's all you can do. Many add-ons are available for 2.3, and it includes much new function already built-in (won't need some add-ons). I hope you kept careful track on what add-ons you installed, and what custom modifications you made, so you can see what you need to do on the new store.

My understanding is that the add-on methodology (hooks, etc.) will be much improved by at least 2.4, and certainly by 3.0.

$HTTP_GET_VARS is still in the code, but is merely a copy of $_GET (since PHP 4.4 or so). Supposedly all references to it will be changed to $_GET in an upcoming release, once PHP 4 support is formally ended.

As PHP and MySQL are constantly changing, and osC's architecture and features are constantly being improved, the product can not remain static (it has stayed too static for too long, with too much backwards compatibility). You will never be able to rest on your laurels and run your shop "hands off" -- you will always periodically have to upgrade. It's just a fact of life. You can't afford to let your shop become its own fork of osC, unless you want to get deeply into constantly editing it to keep up with PHP and other supporting software changes.

Archived