• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is the best current Search Friendly URL rewrite plugin for 2.3.4 BS?

I'm probably not the only person asking there i'm pretty sure!

I've been a bit confused because there's been several go to plugins on previous versions, but I'm not sure which is a working plugin that can be used for 2.3.4 BS?

I activated search friendly URLs in admin, but that gives a URL as

http://localhost/storename/index.php/cPath/2

Was wondering which is a working plugin that will make this prettier.

I know a lot are saying SEO URL is a myth, and I do kind of agree, but would like to make the URL's prettier anyway!

If anyone can point me to a working plugin that will be great, or one that I could maybe look at to take ideas from and make a module instead.

thanks

USU5 by FWR. Just rolled out a new bootstrap site using it. The codes are carefully thought out and its easy to maintain...some small issue with mysqli but that should be an easy fix...just use the other cache method for now. I have a bootstrap version with it (and other stuff like the header tag) loaded in my github...

I don't think that the prettier SEO URL debate is worth arguing unless you have first hand knowledge of the algorithm of each search engines. The way I see it is if it is in demand it should be provided (all popular carts have it, right?). I had never implemented what I think it's right for my client...I had always implemented what they want for as long as we ended up at point B...

USU5 by FWR. Just rolled out a new bootstrap site using it. The codes are carefully thought out and its easy to maintain...some small issue with mysqli but that should be an easy fix...just use the other cache method for now. I have a bootstrap version with it (and other stuff like the header tag) loaded in my github...

I don't think that the prettier SEO URL debate is worth arguing unless you have first hand knowledge of the algorithm of each search engines. The way I see it is if it is in demand it should be provided (all popular carts have it, right?). I had never implemented what I think it's right for my client...I had always implemented what they want for as long as we ended up at point B...

Hi thanks

does the FWR one modify the core code?

i think the idea is for having something that doesnt modify core code if i can find one!

I've used it on 2.2 and now I'm trying to see if it works on 2.3.4 BS. I'm not sure if others do but SEO 5 adds the ability to use www.mydomain.com/index.php/en so you can add a hreflang tag (I can't see the way to do it under standard oscommerce).

@@vampirehunter, as far as I know as of today every rewritter modifies core code by adding or replacing functions.

@@clustersolutions did you need to modify something to work on 2.3.4? At firts I found that instructions mentions to substitute this:

// set php_self in the local scope
  $PHP_SELF = (((strlen(ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo')) > 0) && ((bool)ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == false)) || !isset($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME'])) ? basename($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['PHP_SELF']) : basename($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME']);

Replace with ...

and in 2.3.4 BS those lines are:

$req = parse_url($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME']);
  $PHP_SELF = substr($req['path'], ($request_type == 'NONSSL') ? strlen(DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG) : strlen(DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG));

I'll try to replace this block to see if it works.

The bad thing is FWR Media is not in the forums since two years ago, so uploading an updated version to the contrib page is impossible.

The bad thing is FWR Media is not in the forums since two years ago, so uploading an updated version to the contrib page is impossible.

I cannot understand why you are using an unsupported addon. To me that seems crazy.

You can always create a new addon using your modified files and then support it yourself. That would be a benefit to all members of the forum.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I agree with Steve. I just had such an experience where I used an Addon with no support or support topic in this forum. It sucks!

So why not use this one?

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823

Still supported by Jack and the Roaddoc, i think.

Or you recode it, upload it and open a new support topic here in the forum so old and new don't get mixed up and offer the support that an Addon should get.

I cannot understand why you are using an unsupported addon. To me that seems crazy.

You can always create a new addon using your modified files and then support it yourself. That would be a benefit to all members of the forum.

Because it has been working for years on 2.2 and I had no issues. It's now when I'm looking for a rewriter when I found the person who wrote it is not active anymore.

If we remove all addons not supported anymore we should remove 90% of them from the addons section.

Understanding well how this one works is probably beyond my knowledge, but if I can do it I'll try to.

@@Tsimi, when I first installed SEO Urls 5 I remember I tried all the others and this one was the best for me; I'll probably test others, but I believe that this addon will probably work just by adding a couple of lines to the instructions.

If an addon has not been updated in two years why shouldn't it be deleted. Its old, outdated and probably wont work with the latest version. If you are not using the latest version, then you really should be. Removing old addons, and those that don't work will make it better, and less confusing, for anyone searching for something as everything will be new, updated and current. That will make oscommerce better for everyone.

Are you sure that you need an URL re writer now. There is a large proportion of people that think it is not as necessary as it was several years ago. If you are updating your site you may be better off just addding redirects from your old urls to your new ones.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I have used both Chemo's URL's (the version now supported by jack) and FWR URL's (which is not supported... but does work and has some activity on the support forum). I'm currently using FWR on 2.3.4 and also have it running on 2.3.4BS. I like FWR, only because it includes a compatible sitemap creator. Yes, there is a sitemap creator made by and supported by jack which I believe is compatible with his version of SEO URL's... it was just an extra step I didn't want to take. I believe Jack's sitemap creator will work with FWR URL's.... but it won't re-write the URL within the sitemap).

Yes both require core code changes.... which is not ideal.... but until it becomes available in the core and or someone figures out how to do it without changing core files I will continue.

@@14steve14

There is a large proportion of people that think it is not as necessary as it was several years ago

I wanted to chime in on this point (just to "kick the hornets nest"... as I read here earlier), because I've read this here as well... many times. And frankly don't agree.

I think it may be case of terminology...."SEO URL's" vs "human readable URL's". Generally, "today", I agree.... the URL it's self does nothing for ranking in search engines.

HOWEVER, human readable URL's are VERY important to making a site and its links more likely to be clicked by a customer when compared to non-human readable URL's.

@@piernas, thx for the help...I think I've already rolled in the changes...

@@14steve14, I guess I am crazy, I support it myself, and I also support CCVG, that piece of $##%@@ so broken...but you know I find it more crazy to use a contribution that had so many contributors/uploads...the contributors skill VARIES...

I've used it on 2.2 and now I'm trying to see if it works on 2.3.4 BS. I'm not sure if others do but SEO 5 adds the ability to use www.mydomain.com/index.php/en so you can add a hreflang tag (I can't see the way to do it under standard oscommerce).

@@vampirehunter, as far as I know as of today every rewritter modifies core code by adding or replacing functions.

@@clustersolutions did you need to modify something to work on 2.3.4? At firts I found that instructions mentions to substitute this:

$PHP_SELF = (((strlen(ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo')) > 0) && ((bool)ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == false)) || !isset($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME'])) ? basename($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['PHP_SELF']) : basename($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME']);

Replace with ...

and in 2.3.4 BS those lines are:

$req = parse_url($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_NAME']);
  $PHP_SELF = substr($req['path'], ($request_type == 'NONSSL') ? strlen(DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG) : strlen(DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG));

I'll try to replace this block to see if it works.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

there is a core limitation to use hreflang language and area localization at the same time. 2 character lenght field not support only simple language codes but area codes are not supported as well.

Example: "en" or "de" is supported but "en-US" or "en-GB" are never. So impossible to use ISO-639 (language) and area code standards as google suggested here.

This is a core deficiency at this moment. I should figure out in my next projects on v2.3 and v2.4 too. v2.4 would be better because the main languages configuration section will be able to separate from the main languges text constants so configs could be insert into languages table configurations.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Archived