• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upcoming Changes

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Henry's concept go into the right direction

Proposing a different folder structure and putting all "template" files into a separate folder, is the only logical way to go: Each template has all of its files nicely in one folder and not spread all over

That said, I also believe that there is a lot of space for discussion and necessary decisions to do.

For example, if taking Henrys approach, we don't need a /templates/ folder in e.g. /modules/boxes/ or /modules/content/footer/ etc. The system will need at least one - the default- template to run

We could have a class to filter out the template folder and any other relevant info instead of using the constant all the time (if template file exist include it or include default). Within the modules then, we could use simply $template_class->get_template_file(). Same for template_top and _bottom in each file, no if/else, but simply a class method

An other point is the use of template specific template_top/ _bottom files. While this gives a lot of flexibility about the scripts and css to include (e.g. use bootstrap or mootstrap as a framework) - and it is of course obvious that any template can use as many user.css files as it like - it set a new requirement for any add ons: To not modify template_top or bottom ever, same as any other core file. But I guess that is only good so.

Requirement for the core is, to create code that is not framework depending, no bootstrap or any other framework related classes in the core. And I think that is also only good, osCommerce should not be depending on any external framework or script

What is if a template has any custom modules, e.g. a super box? Or a related products product info module? One way is to simply install additional "core" modules that would execute only under the condition that a particular template is enabled. Other option, to let the template folder hold that modules and find a way to add them to the regular array of modules, maybe more complicated and leading to a mess in the code

Many of thoughts and pointers, that doesn't change the fact that the proposal goes into the right direction and it is worth for sure to follow up and work on this

I suggest to move the posts about that into a separate topic, there is a lot of space for discussion

Takes me a while to figure things out but I think I see what's going on now. So for others in the same boat...

In a test shop I installed the footer text block module. In default template it looks like this:

post-231701-0-11626300-1424032255_thumb.jpg

The in the template I created as above, I modified

osCommerce-234-bootstrap-template-system\includes\templates\template_test\modules\content\footer\text.php, adding a class "testingred"

noting the template I created is called template_test.

Then in the stock user.css file I added

.testingred{
color: red;
}

And with template_test activated the block looks like this:

post-231701-0-35901200-1424032534_thumb.jpg

So toggling back and forth between the templates I can have customized styling. Or not.

Now that the light bulb is illuminated,it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

:thumbsup: Henry!

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

The main v2.3.x core index.php has not content loader (bootsrapped) yet. There are several hard mix coded mainly entry files and we cant put them into templates by this way.

Bootsrap content loader was figured out in pre v2.4 where only one modification needed to change templates.

Main spartan index code will be:

<?php
/**
 * osCommerce Online Merchant
 * @[member=copyright] Copyright (c) 2013 osCommerce; http://www.oscommerce.com
 * @[member=licensed2kill] GNU General Public License; http://www.oscommerce.com/gpllicense.txt
 */

require('includes/application_top.php');

require($OSCOM_Template->getTemplateFilename());

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php');
?>

Code example from the old template class:

public function getTemplateFilename() {
      return DIR_WS_MODULES . 'templates/' . $this->_template . '/content/base.php';
    }

The v2.3.x BS version is a test for v2.4.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Why developing BS? For responsive fixes. Look at this http://v24.oscom.hu/index.php

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I suggest to move the posts about that into a separate topic, there is a lot of space for discussion

Good idea @@multimixer  :thumbsup:

We probably need to start separate threads for each of the topics or projects that need to be completed otherwise they'll get lost or buried in this one large thread and we won't make any progress at all.  It will also be a lot easier for those, who can contribute to a particular task, to do so.

Dan

Just for testing purposes you could play with the current template system concept.

Download via GitHub:

https://github.com/osc2nuke/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/archive/template-system.zip

install the ht_ module "Template manager" via the admin. (default template i set to internal, what means it uses core template files).

Select in the ht_ template manager the Default template and save.

Screenshot of the ht_ template manager: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/5169035/6107222/2b6d2d8a-b069-11e4-80d8-acb64723daff.png

Make any changes inside the includes/templates/Default folder.

For die hards, try to make your own template, just copy the Default folder and rename it to your own template name.

Very nice!

is this something that has already been added to the current BS234 download on github?

or is just a test thing at the moment?

this would make life incredibly easy, and make design modifications much easier. fantastic concept!

@@Tsimi

@@Dan Cole

Should be nice products.

Hi. @@Gergely    Nice is a good thing.  Did you have something specific in mind?  Did you like any of the ideas put forward?

Dan

We only need 9 products in 3 categories, I think, there's no much point in filling up a shop with more than that...enough to give a flavour of the layout, not too much to take ages to delete them.

Any shopowners (who are able to give relevant permissions) like to offer any products?

My wife custom designs dog coats that are one of a kind, with our own product pics.  Thus permissions not an issue.  Don't know if that fits in the shop scenario or not.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Very nice Matt.  I was hoping you'd say that...sweet. :)

@@burt are you okay with using this theme?  If something better comes along we can always reconsider.   In the meantime it would keep up moving forward.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Dan

I think we need three shopowners to each give three products (including description), bearing in mind that those shopowners would probably not want to have duplicate content across multiple domains.  We can have those shopowners as manufacturers if they wish to get a linkback from multiple domains.

We can then do three categories, each containing 3 products.  

And 1 more category with a downloadable product, I can easily supply a downloadable product.

Github is right there, ready to go, if someone wants to take charge of this;

Nuke the existing products/categories/reviews and reset the auto-increments.

Add in 4 new categories, add in 11 products.  Add a Review.  Add a couple of specials.  Done.

My wife custom designs dog coats that are one of a kind, with our own product pics.  Thus permissions not an issue.  Don't know if that fits in the shop scenario or not.

Can you post the URL Steve so we can have a look?

Dan

@@burt

Github is right there, ready to go, if someone wants to take charge of this;

I don't know what is involved on the Gthub end of things Gary but I'll do what I can to help push this along.

Dan

I think we need three shopowners to each give three products (including description), bearing in mind that those shopowners would probably not want to have duplicate content across multiple domains.  We can have those shopowners as manufacturers if they wish to get a linkback from multiple domains.

We have 3 products from @@mattjt83 so far and possibly 3 from @@altoid.  Who else can help out? 

Lets give Burt a hand here...

Dan

How about some food, like 1kg coffee beans ? 500gr salt and some apples preferably red and shiny ?

no issue with trademarks and foto's and easy to try and test out weight based shipping modules

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

How about a T-shirt with the osCommerce logo on it ;)

Got one, but the logo is rather faded - it is almost 10 years old from the user meeting in belgium - still want a picture ? LOL

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

My product offer is there if needed

If the product line doesn't fit in no problem if they aren't used.   Maybe something more mainstream?

Our stuff is pretty specific to our business type, which is dog apparel and accessories.

I realize this is for the vanilla shop, but maybe keep the products theme to a similar line than all over the place.  

How about some food, like 1kg coffee beans ? 500gr salt and some apples preferably red and shiny ?

Hummm.....coffee, salt and apples....I won't ask. :)  

So are you offering to contribute a category of products...with images, descriptions etc?

Dan

Gotta have some type of clothing ... T-shirts work good. Can be used to demonstrate different size and color options, etc.

How about a T-shirt with the osCommerce logo on it ;)

Malcolm

@@ArtcoInc

Do you have a collection of T-shirts or other clothing that you're offering to contribute?  You just need to be sure that we don't get tangled up in any copyright issues.

Dan

Archived