Latest News: (loading..)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burt

Social Sharing ...

7 posts in this topic

Good read:  https://jonsuh.com/blog/social-share-links/

How much external .js is loaded on (say) your product page ?

Could you do without all the "sexy" looking counts and buttons and instead use direct links as shown in the article above ?  

Would removing the javascript sexiness detract or enhance your user experience ?

In reality how much would this improve the page load time?

I use the "Add-This" social share buttons - for the reason that I like the look, they fit in well with my layout and I get a weekly report on their useage - I dont think they slow down my load times to any great degree - But I will test this now on gtmetrix and report back.....

OK carried out some tests, first screenshot with the add-this sharing buttons enabled, then the second with the code removed.

Although there are suggestions regarding making fewer http requests on the "with" test does it really make any noticeable impact on page load times? when compared to other speed enhancements like properly optimising images etc

@@Mort-lemur thanks for testing.  Doesn't seem like a massive improvement, which you are right, could just as easily do by optimising an image!

Add This is fairly optimized and fast, so as the test suggest should not have a too negative effect speed wise.

If each social service is called individually it would probably have a "higher" degree on impact on the load time.

After all if you have 5 social services included individually on your page, that is content that have to be fetched from 5 different urls.

This will also affect different users differently based on where in the world they are browsing the site from and what internet connection they are on.

@@toyicebear This is something I struggle to get my head round, by fetcing content from other URLs could this have the effect of speeding things up? as it maybe could act as a simple CDN? rather than limiting the site speed by the max number of connections to your own server?

I toyed with using dropbox to serve certain files (.css / .js etc) for a while before deciding I didnt really need the speed increase

Using a cdn for static content can be a nice way to get a little bit of extra load speed since it increases the number of parallel connections in the browser, but not really needed for most sites.

This is something I struggle to get my head round, by fetcing content from other URLs could this have the effect of speeding things up? as it maybe could act as a simple CDN? rather than limiting the site speed by the max number of connections to your own server?

In this case its not about cdn, but about loading extra unnecessary content.

Lets say you want to have social buttons for Facebook, Twitter and Google +

Option 1 , use a service like Add This

Fairly optimized but still require extra js/graphics/styles to load from the Add This server.

Option 2, use like buttons from the different services.

Extra js/graphics/styles have to be loaded from each of the used services servers.

Option 3, use share buttons

This is basically just links.

Option 3 has the advantage that no js is required, using css3 styling no graphics needed and no external connections to other sites needed.

So it gives less content for the visitors browser to load and is not dependent on that external sites is up/not running slow.