Latest News: (loading..)
Gergely

HTML emails?

240 posts in this topic

What's the advantage of this approach?  Are page modules installed by the admin then?

@@altoid - shopowner would be able to create a template for outgoing email (presently not possible) ...

@@Gergely - yes, it needs to be in 2.3.x, asap.

I am waiting for hooks in orders and later the status email could be similar way but would be change the orders.php by Harald's recommendation.

Edited by Gergely

I have added the next email template solutions to my repo:

Admin
        Order Status (html)
        Order Status

Store
        Checkout Process (html)
        Checkout Process
        Create Account (html)
        Create Account
        Password Forgotten (html)
        Password Forgotten
        Tell a Friend (html)
        Tell a Friend

Administartor can switch between html/text templates in

Admin->Configurations->Email Options->Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails->true/false

Text or html email templates could be edited by shop owners in

catalog/includes/modules/pages/templates/*.php

or

catalog/admin/includes/modules/pages/templates/*.php

This version is beta tested.

wHiTeHaT, altoid, ArtcoInc and 1 other like this

I apologise if I've posted in the wrong place but as this thread concerns html emails thought was a good place to start.

I've installed a add on for html email receipts, works perfect in that customers account shows the receipts in html format as they do for the administrator, but as I only intend to accept payments via paypal this raises the issue that the order confirmation is in standard text email format and from what I've read the html email invoice doesn't work with the paypal payment module, I thought that placing the additional code that is used in checkoutprocess.php into the paypal standard module would to the trick but just throws a load of errors up. 

It would be nice to be able to send the customer a more professional email, any ideas on a workround?

Would it be possible to create the invoice as a pdf file and attach to the email instead?

thanks,

Paul

There are some payment module checkout_process method where should be applicate html emails. The next page modules will do it.

Thank you, I'm in process of trying out the bootstrap release with a view to migrating from the stock version, so can try the email page module.

I'll let you know how I get on

@@Gergely

My 345 BS shop is running on Uniserver, local host so I don't know what I can test there. 

I plan to put a live site out there coming up if there's no rush on the testing.

@@sanctuarybookshop

Paypal Standard Email Page Module has built in BS version.

https://github.com/tgely/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/commit/e0b8934e1ef9017809082d404327337e91f52e7b

Could somebody help testing email page modules?

Well the bad news is I cannot get papercut to pick up smtp emails from uniserver.  I changed the ini files in uniserver accordingly based on what Herald noted, but the latest version of uniserver. Zero - 11.5.2 handles their php.ini differently. They have test, developement and production versions that you modifiy from a panel. I even tried making an ini file with the settings and put that in the shop's root. No luck.

Good news is is uniserver has the msmtp utility that I was able to configure to work and now the uniserver shop will sent out emails to a live account.

So now I'll see about getting your fork on my sourcetree so I can work with the files you updated

Great!

You can find in Admin->Tools->Email Previews for quick view pages

I'll work on this over the next day or so.  There's a bunch of commits going back to Burt's readme udpate on 23 Jan.   Any tips on which to grab and which to ignore?

@@Gergely

I am going to be testing the email templates soon and it looks like you are using stylesheets to style the emails.  Some email clients will not respect these and/or remove the stylesheets completely (Gmail does this I think).  Also, I believe <div> tags are removed completely by some email clients.  Everything I have read suggests that <table> is the safest to use for formatting.

I found mailchimp has this tool available to take the given html and convert the styles to inline styles. 

When I have time to test more thoroughly I will post back.

@@Gergely

I downloaded your email fork and installed as a fresh shop on it's own on uniserver.

Here's the email preview page from the new tool you authored.

post-231701-0-24531400-1422748802_thumb.jpg

I presume the intent of this page is so the shop owner can see how the email template will appear.  I did a couple test orders and the previews are picking up the most recent order if that is the intent.

I can post screen shots of those if you'd like.

I noticed in the html email sent out to me (the customer) the shop logo is not being transmitted in the email. I am just getting the box with the red X in it there.

I noticed in the html email sent out to me (the customer) the shop logo is not being transmitted in the email. I am just getting the box with the red X in it there.

What email client do you use?

What email client do you use?

The missing logo was coming into an address using Outlook.   Within that message I clicked "view as web page" and the logo appeared.

So I set up another test customer this time with an yahoo address.  The logo comes across just fine.

I don't know if you want to include this, with this set of updates.  But in the admin->tools->send email ,  when you preview the message it's shows in raw code, not an html display.

Suggestion on the email_previews.php page.  A bit of an explanation of what the purpose of the preview is and what the user will see when they click the options may help the new user.  They may be thinking they'll preview all emails or something.

I am affraid that embended store logo image wont be the best and rewrited by your experiences. Rather should used <table> templates than <div> tags.

I was thinking of other admin emails but there rather popup or modal prewievs be able to use than the same solution. If you use html editor (ckeditor) you can preview button with it.

Mails has bad text content now due to oscommerce tep_mail function. Probably I have to rewite pages modules and forget tep_mail().

The next updates are found now in my repo.

Perhaps the modal concept would be better for an email preview.  

I see the changes, I'll pull those into my setup and update the test shop.

Redesign looks good both in admin->email preview and in the actual email itself.   Outlook is receiving store logo now.

Here's a screen shot of a yahoo email content area.  Bottom part cut of due to screen resolution...

post-231701-0-47924800-1422830889_thumb.jpg

I have added one pixel in foot. Its probably fix the yahoo.

Viewport and text content fix added too.