• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ultimate SEO URLs ready for v. 2.3.4?

kuai

This contribution builds on the cName & pName code to give an even more flexible, search engine friendly, and cross server compatible SEO URLs.

Once installed, Ultimate SEO URLs will give the store owner the choice of the v1.X style cName or new v2.X style static HTML file. This setting is incorporated into the admin control panel so can be toggled on, off, cName, or Rewrite at will.

An example would be nice as I am not sure what's the "new v2.X style static HTML file" means...it would be nice if it was without the -p- or -c- anchors...and that the url tracks the category path...I used both Chemo's and FWR's contributions and I rather rewrite FWR's to suit my needs instead of going back to Chemo's...my $0.02...

Oh, another debate would be why bother with the url rewrite as it has not much to do with SEO anymore; however, I would stick with these mods as redirecting couple thousand products/categories would be too much work...so far I can tell FWR's is compatible with Chemo's...

Whoa...please know that I was not trying to persuade you in either way...there's still the ux side debate that a human readable url is always better..also...there are more than one search engine out there so there are things to consider....but it's entirely up to you...if you are in the planning stage...do it right the first time...it's better/easier for SEO...I just found FWR's package much easier to install an maintain...that's all...

Whoa...please know that I was not trying to persuade you in either way...there's still the ux side debate that a human readable url is always better..also...there are more than one search engine out there so there are things to consider....but it's entirely up to you...if you are in the planning stage...do it right the first time...it's better/easier for SEO...I just found FWR's package much easier to install an maintain...that's all...

hi

which SEO URL plugin is compatible with the bootstrap version?

im a bit confused as to which versions are usable.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is might something you not want to hear, however it is better to notice you for it.

When implement one of the current available url-rewrite add-ons they will overwrite core.

So as long as that is the case for any add-on, it won't be bs-version compatible.

Initial goal for all upcoming versions running on the bootstrap framework will be that it can handle methods either by hooking systems or header_tags implementations (not content modules, as these could be a mixture of header_tags and hooks, or tune in via available methods).

In the case for url-rewrites it means the tep_href function needs to be rewritten so it can handle url-rewrite systems.

hi Henry,

i just found your message now.

So out of the all the available plugins, is there any that don't change the core code?

I understand what you are saying, that the plugins should not touch the core code, so I was searching for which plugins have been tweaked to work with BS oscommerce.

if there are any, or if anyone has already come up with a solution, feel free to share as i'm not too clued up on this type of modification but am happy to learn. I'm sure we could put it into a module maybe and make a start on it.

thanks