• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4BS - I need to Ask......

Since the launch of the 2.3.4bs version of OSC something has puzzled me, so Im asking the question.........

It seems that the bs version was developed, and is being supported, by just a small handful of "developers" and "more skilled" coders with little or no input from others who I would have thought could have played a major part in its development and support.

Is there a reason for this? as I cant understand the apparent division between the "traditional" coders and the "bs" coders.

For whatever reason we seem to have lost a lot of experienced people on this forum along the way and surely those of you who are left should be pulling-together and not pulling-apart?

I'll close the door behind me...........

Please discuss nicely :)

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I also try to understand that it is and what course do not understand how it will continue this.

I see the version BS has good progress. But is released or is official, then I understand nothing.

Might harald please clarify this.

Sometimes the answers are read with some "superiority" and even "bad deal" I am looking for a simple and clear answer to know what happens.

I must say that I've been reading this forum for years and working as I could. I've even been sponsor.

I hope your answers.

Heather, why are you always so sensible? I've had similar thoughts/reservations. Not sure which road to take in case there is a danger of parallel versions. Playing about with BS it is looking good many thanks to all concerned (though as per a previous comment elsewhere, maybe BS isn't the best suffix).

Hello Heather 

The BS version is useful adjunct to the 'trad' look but I'm unclear as to how that sits with the official release both now and in the future - in fact I am getting mighty confused as to where osC is going at the moment - personally I'd like to see some sort of roadmap on 2.4 issued along with news on the licence variation that I read about someplace.

In the meantime the BS fork is handy to have but I feel it is starting to look like an early ZenCart or CRELoaded offshoot of osC with the big difference that it is openly discussed on the osC forum which gives it the semblance of an 'official' release - I'd prefer it if BS could be loaded into 2.4 and that version released in at least a beta form so that it can be tested and bug hunted by all and then moved onto a proper release.

Over in github, the master repository for standard osC has had a lot of work done since the 2.3.4 release, so that's been going on all along.  

https://github.com/osCommerce/oscommerce2  

It looks like more modularity is coming, as well as the groundwork for responsiveness is being laid.

I presume these will be in the standard 2.3.5 release or whatever it's called.

From what I understand, the bootstrap version will be following the standard release updates then.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

standard oscommerce 2.4 will have bootstrap UI and no jquery ui anymore, as such all work done in 2.3.x BS is working towards 2.4 BS, it is not lost effort, but 2.4 (BS included) will have other major changes that might make it more difficult to upgrade current (older) osCommerce shops. The 2.3.(3.)4 BS is a gentler upgrade path having pretty much the same BS functionality but using an older code base and coding style.

oscommerce 2.4 and 3 are more 'state of the coding art'

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Thanks for the replies everyone, but my question was not really aimed at what bootstrap 2.3.4 is, or how it sits in relation to OSC 2.3.4 but it was:

It seems that the bs version was developed, and is being supported, by just a small handful of "developers" and "more skilled" coders with little or no input from others who I would have thought could have played a major part in its development and support.

Is there a reason for this? as I cant understand the apparent division between the "traditional" coders and the "bs" coders.

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

as far as I can tell, from all the developers on the forum burt is one of the few who has an interest in the UI side of things and bootstrap fits nicely with his template business, others I think have less to gain with a bootstrap version.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I think everyone has things to gain with a new "cutting edge" version of OSC - be it shop owners or developers....

But I would really like to know from the Developers themselves what their views are. There are many Devs on this forum, who make great changes / mods to conventional OSC but have not been and are not involved in BS and I would really like to understand this before I decide which way to go with a responsive development store of my own ready to update my non-responsive sites.

Many Thanks

Software development similar to the tree grows. Github is a very usefull thing for us but many oscommers cant use it so you see some programmers are off. Non all programmers are intrested in developing work. Somebody likes addons developing.

BTW very similar if you know the way jump into development points or branches. You can fork a development and add into separate contribution branch to develop paralell with mainstream. So you can built very easy your own shop up to date.

BS is a branch where some template conflicts should be fixed for v2.4

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Hi Heather

To answer your original question - if you want a responsive site you have two options that I can see:

1) use 2.3.x.BS

2) add in something like the iOSC addon to a normal 2.3.4

get it working then wait and see what 2.4 does (whenever it does)

from my viewpoint as a coder who does not really like/do UI stuff both (1) and (2) have good points and bad -

(1) Bootstrap makes responsive layout really easy but you'll maybe have to adapt some contributions to play nice with Bootstrap , your desktop site may look like a BIG mobile site - personally I hate that but then, I'm not into UI just the nuts and bolts under the bonnet

(2) you'll find that the /catalog/ parts of any addons will have to be duplicated into the /mobile/ files on the site (or else mobile users don't get to use/see the tweaks)

On both a lot of addons need tweaking for 2.3.4 so that work would be equal

Not a developer by any means, but chiming in here anyway.

I decided to put bootstrap higher on my to do list after a personal experience trying to shop for some office equipment on my smartphone.   Viewing products on non responsive sites was sometimes more than inconvenient.   It was a hassle and I found myself favoring responsive sites that showed good responsive imagery and text display on my smartphone.  I found myself quickly exiting non responsive sites and favoring responsive while doing my shopping.

Then back at the office I pulled up google analytics and looked at sessions by device on a few of the shops I maintain.   One one site desktop visits led the way with about 60% of visits,  mobile was second at 25% and tablet about 15%.    Other sites showed a similar pattern.  So with that I decided it was time to accommodate the smaller devices.

Maybe one should factor in your product line and who your potential customers are.   Are you customers more likely to be visiting from desktop or other device?

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

1.  Misinformation.  

2.4 -is- 2.3.4bs, with a bunch more code improvements.  Work is ongoing at github on a daily basis.

Code changes in 2.3.x(bs) are being bug checked now, so that 2.4 can hit the ground running.

2.  Developers.  

A couple got lightly involved, a couple got heavily involved.  See here.  I would have liked more developers to have made an effort.

As no-one answered your real question @@Mort-lemur, I hope the above goes some way to answering it.  

I could go on with more comments about the state of the osCommerce eco-sphere, but that's for another time..

Archived