• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade version is 2.3.1 to latest one

skumar1st

@@skumar1st

there is no "Quick" direct upgrade for 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 you would need to download and install each upgrade package in turn, or if your store is not modified much then do a fresh install of 2.3.4 and port your database to the 2.3.4 standard.

If the upgrade is beyond your comfort level then there are plenty of developers here who will do it for you - just put a post in the commercial help section.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

If you want to keep your current store add-ons, custom changes, etc., you would upgrade to 2.3.2, then to 2.3.3, then to 2.3.3.1, then to 2.3.3.2, then to 2.3.3.3, then to 2.3.3.4, and finally to 2.3.4. To avoid such a large amount of work in the future, I would suggest not falling so far behind in your site maintenance.

If you don't have any serious modifications made to the current store, it might be easier and cheaper to install 2.3.4 and migrate your data over (product images and database, which will have to be updated in the same steps up to 2.3.4).

• 1 year later...

CRAP**** this sucks, one of my two OSCommerce website is behind. It's heavy modified.

OSC 2.3.3. Does anyone know which files I need to update besides doing it all? I am sure there is other methods to these updates besides full install update.

Thanks guys

what is heavy modified ? cosmetic stuff or database and functional changes ?

the engine of oscommerce is in the files in the includes directory

I do a new install and use beyond compare to find the differences that matter.

yes, it is a little bit tedious, but not rocket science.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• @@skumar1st and @@webguy_ddm It would be a mistake to upgrade to 2.3.4. The correct version is the Bootstrap version and there isn't an upgrade path to it from previous 2.3 versions. See this thread for how to upgrade.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• @@skumar1st and @@webguy_ddm It would be a mistake to upgrade to 2.3.4. The correct version is the Bootstrap version and there isn't an upgrade path to it from previous 2.3 versions. See this thread for how to upgrade.

@@Jack_mcs  my other OSC is on 2.3.4 and it has some function that I wish I could get on 2.3.3. Basically you are recommending to wait on this upgrade? Ill read the thread link you posted. Thanks Jack

@@bruyndoncx - yea you are correct on comparing the two versions and updating those folders, I thought that someone would have posted which folder and files to update. 

@@Jack_mcs  my other OSC is on 2.3.4 and it has some function that I wish I could get on 2.3.3. Basically you are recommending to wait on this upgrade? Ill read the thread link you posted. Thanks Jack

Both 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 are not mobile-ready and that is becoming more and more important nowadays and will continue to do so. If you have installed the addon to make your 2.3.3 shop mobile-ready or if the template you are using is already mobile-ready, then you can upgrade to 2.3.4 following the other suggestions in this thread but in the end you will not have accomplished much. The differences between the two versions is usually not worth the effort to go through the upgrade, in my opinion.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 10 months later...

If you want to keep your current store add-ons, custom changes, etc., you would upgrade to 2.3.2, then to 2.3.3, then to 2.3.3.1, then to 2.3.3.2, then to 2.3.3.3, then to 2.3.3.4, and finally to 2.3.4. To avoid such a large amount of work in the future, I would suggest not falling so far behind in your site maintenance.

If you don't have any serious modifications made to the current store, it might be easier and cheaper to install 2.3.4 and migrate your data over (product images and database, which will have to be updated in the same steps up to 2.3.4).

Begging you pardon, but it takes so much work and time getting these addons to work that I barely have TIME to run a business, let alone keep up with upgrades. Someone suggested using the commercial section to get professional help, but I haven't seen to many issues that have been solved by the pros, so I wonder if it would be worth it to pay for help you are not sure of.

Begging you pardon, but it takes so much work and time getting these addons to work that I barely have TIME to run a business, let alone keep up with upgrades. Someone suggested using the commercial section to get professional help, but I haven't seen to many issues that have been solved by the pros, so I wonder if it would be worth it to pay for help you are not sure of.

Hey, when you decide to run an online store, you are committing to spending either your time (which is money) or actual cash on maintaining and upgrading it. If you don't have the time to spare, you will have to spend the money to hire someone. You might be better off buying the services of a store hosting company, who maintains the structure of the site for you (for a fee, in addition to normal hosting fees) and all you have to do is maintain the products. Consider that option.

You can't neglect doing upgrades for very long. Your store will become increasingly vulnerable to attacks, will look and act outdated (e.g., not mobile friendly), and at some point will stop working altogether due to server upgrades (PHP version, etc.). Budget the time and money to do it right, or forget about running an online store.

That said, I'm sure that if someone put their mind to it, they could come up with a much easier to maintain store, where you don't ever have to go diving into the code and can handle all add-ons (new features) from the dashboard. Major upgrades to maintain PHP compatibility, etc. should be painless. I understand that WordPress has pretty much gotten there, and osC developers are trying to get there. if they don't achieve that fairly soon, osC will disappear as a viable choice.

@@stevenlemon

About a year ago I was in a similar position to you. My store was working fine, but it was not mobile friendly. I had to either update it myself, or pay someone to do it. Knowing that I would struggle to convert the database I decided to pay someone to do it. Once everything was sorted it took less than a few days for me to get my new website and the install files. I was talked through how to install the files and database and after about 1 hour had everything set up as I wanted it. No stress, no pain and no fussing over a site that didnt work. The site was only offline for that hour, plus about the same for thorough testing.

Yes it cost a few hundred pounds which included some paid for addons, but it was worth it. The site looks better, it works better and the new modular approached to the bs version makes adding things so much easier. You generally upload the files, go into admin and turn it on. No info was lost, and everything worked. I have since added more features as they have become available. Sales are up and customers are really happy. It has to be worth doing it just for that.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived