• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Error code: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Heatherbell

Happy new year.

Have just migrated a website from one domain name to another, copied database and all oscommerce 2.3.3 files from old domain.

Changed admin and catalog configure.php, changed cache and session directory in database to all point to new domain.

Website is working fine but get Error code: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS on admin/login.php when I try to log in to admin.

Have I made all the changes I need to make?Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I have not been able to find a cause or solution - any ideas or help here is appreciated.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Thank you for that but I cannot see that problem in my admin/configure.php or am I missing something?

<?php
  define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.xxx.co.uk');
  define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://www.xxx.co.uk');
  define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://www.xxx.co.uk');
  define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'false');
  define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/var/www/xxx/htdocs/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/catalog/admin/');
  define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/var/www/xxx/htdocs/catalog/admin/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/var/www/xxx/htdocs/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
  define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
  define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
  define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
  define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
  define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
  define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');
  define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');
  define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'xxx');
  define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'xxx');
  define('DB_DATABASE', 'xxx');
  define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');
  define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');
?>

Configure looks ok to me you could try ( back up your database first )

truncating the action-recorder table and sessions table in phpmyadmin and then clearing your browser may help

Check your .htaccess files for any entrys which may cause a problem

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

well truncate means =  EMPTY

this is NOT DROP which deletes the table completley

truncate  just emptys the table but leaves the table intact so it can be reused and repopulated  again with the info/data

you will find this command in phpmyadmin probably under operations (depending on your control panel)

What we are doing is deleting past records from the old server/setup in case for some reason the browser is getting confused

they will rebuild automaticaly on the new server

PS: remember to always back up the databse before doing any work there easy to make a mistake

Did you check the .htaccess file to see if it has any hardcoded domain names or paths that are now incorrect? I've seen that happen, where URL A redirects to URL B, which then redirects to URL A, which then... Also, no SSL in use? If your old site had SSL and your new one doesn't, you have to make sure you change everything specifying SSL to not specify SSL.

Just a wild shot ... but do you have any cache mods installed?  Especially config cache?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Thank you. Use Cache is set to false but I do not have any other cache mods to my knowledge. Problem still persists - the first log in box appears and works but the second administrator log in does not appear and the error shows. 

Another long shot .... do you have a config file in admin/includes/local ? Some old mods installed this and it takes priority over the main config file

I would suggest first removing the .htaccess protection temporary so rename your

admin/.htaccess

and

admin/.htpasswd_oscommerce

to

admin/.htaccess_old

and admin/.htpasswd_oscommerce_old

That way we get first to the login without additional protection not sure what is going on here was this site updated from a 2.3.1 version??

Regards

Joli

PS: are you sure domain name reflects the server settings you can check the absolute path in your control panel

( Just wondering domain name change or server change )

Thank you. I have renamed the files as suggested but the problem persists. Yes, this has been updated from 2.3.1. The define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/var/www/xxx/htdocs/catalog/admin/'); paths are correct. My purpose for copying the site to a new domain was to start the upgrade to 2.3.4 without touching our live site on old domain name. So far it has been a pain and I have not yet got the copy working, never mind start the upgrading. Would a clean install of 2.3.4 be better way to go? - though I want all the info on my old database.

Yes I think maybe you have missed something in the upgrade path that is why I asked I would suggest you go the whole hog and consider going directly to bootstrap as it is now leaving the development phase and is ready for live shops.

Really will be a must have in the coming years (responsive)

You seem to be confident using phpmyadmin so with a bit of practice it is not really that hard to export data from the old database and import into a new bootstrap database

Actually think there are only a few database  changes just have not got on hand can not remember

(not sure when the database conversion tool was introduced) so ....

New database with a virgin install then start with your old database --> export ..... new database --> import best to start with product and catagories then later your orders and customers as they will be updated maybe daily on the live site so leave to later just before you are ready to go live

so you do the tables that you need one at a time takes about an hour or x 2

Remember to trunacate the new database standard products and catagorys dvd,graphics, etc really not hard just a copy and paste using the sql window found in phpmyadmin

Good you are thinkng ahead leaves you time to experiment and get the new site the way you want.

Regards

Joli

Just my opinion is actually quicker than the upgrade path

PPS: If you go with bootstrap some of your addons may need tweaked just ask on the forum work in progress at the minute

Bootstrap was started by Gary Burton download here

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap

about a year ago

forum thread here there are well over 70 pages now but worth a read when you have time even a quick glance will give you an idea of what is going on

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/page-70

It is a responsive oscommerce and more using content modules and just recently templates for boxes (which in your case would mean easier to make those zigag boxes)

Google recently said they would give a priority in the search results for responsive websites which could be viewed and used on all screen sizes such as iphone tablets etc.

Bootstrap oscommerce resizes to fit the different screens and is touch responsive

Think we shop owners are more attuned to search results and the competition than normal websites

This is exactly what bootstrap oscommerce  does I think just about all serious shop owners on the forum have a copy somewhere and are testing and thinking at the minute about upgrading

The last few months has seen it mature into a ready to use solution so  personally can only recommend for anybody especially someone in an upgrade process anyway to consider the bootstrap option.

Regards

Joli

Ps: upgrade guide from 2.3.1 is here

http://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes

you could download do a search for database upgrade(sql) and  apply to your old database to bring it up to 2.3.4

You could then replace your backed up files with a 2.3.4 install you would need to manually change the configure files as they have changed slightly

and then reinstall your addons should not be difficult as you have the old site copy to compare and merge using a tool like winmerge (free) just google

If you then wanted to go further there are a x 4 more sql changes for bootstrap will search if you need

Thank you so much for your kind patience and advice. I have just signed up at github and downloaded 2.3.4 bootstrap. This will keep me busy and my brain boiling with the g forces of all the learning curves I am going through at the moment but the thought of a shiny new website will keep me going. I hope I never see the words ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS again in my life.

yeah go for it nice a hands on approach you know your own store then and a lot of us are just starting with bootstrap so plenty of questions and plenty of answers haha

tip install web developer tools for fire fox and learn how to use you can edit css etc on the fly in your browser window helps a lot with design

Best wishes

Joli

categories
categories_description
products_to_categories

and the right database in include/configure.php

and they should show

upload  the attached index.html to check if you are in the right place  should be uploaded top level beside the index.php from oscommerce

Did have a server once who had some weird page cache where changes showed first the hours later.

If you are in the right place you will see a message  if you see a message you can then delete the file again

just a check?? 

because normally they should appear now

index.html

Thanks - your nosy people message is there. http://www.cornishhoney.co.uk/index.php  - database is found but categories just don't appear - how have I managed to do something wrong so quickly.

Exported and saved categories, categories_description and categories_to_products as sql from old database and imported them into new database. 

Archived