• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database Backup Problem

Irin

Hello,

I have osCommerce v2.3.4 with the original Database Backup. However, when I'm trying to create a backup, it's giving me the error below:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'lines from phpmysqlautobackup_log' at line 1

select date,bytes,lines from phpmysqlautobackup_log

[TEP STOP]

I have phpmysqlautobackup add-on installed, but I don't see how it relates to manually creating backups. Also, the add-on is unchanged. I don't even know when to look for for the problem.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

The first thing would be to confirm (using phpMyAdmin) that your database actually contains a table named phpmysqlautobackup_log, and that it contains the columns (fields) date, bytes, and lines (and possibly more columns). Since "date" may be a MySQL reserved word, you may have to modify the code to insert backticks around the field names:

select `date`,`bytes`,`lines` from phpmysqlautobackup_log

Thanks for your reply, Phil. I checked the database and the table phpmysqlautobackup_log is there, contains three columns (date, bytes, and lines), with date being a primary. I'm using the unmodified file that came with this add-on, and that the only file that I can think of that might have a problem. I tried to play with the backticks in the code, particularly in class record part, but it doesn't change anything, the db backup error is still there. Here is the file that came with phpmysqlautobackup add-on, its location is /catalog/phpmysqlautobackup/files/phpmysqlautobackup_extras.php. This is an independent add-on that makes a database backup and emails it. I don't really understand how it interferes with the manual database creation.

<?php
/*******************************************************************************************
    phpMySQLAutoBackup  -  Author:  http://www.DWalker.co.uk - released under GPL License
           For support and help please try the forum at: http://www.dwalker.co.uk/forum/'>http://www.dwalker.co.uk/forum/
********************************************************************************************
Version    Date              Comment
0.2.0      7th July 2005     GPL release
0.3.0      June 2006  Upgrade - added ability to backup separate tables
0.4.0      Dec 2006   removed bugs/improved code
1.4.0      Dec 2007   improved faster version
1.5.0      Dec 2008   improved and added FTP backup to remote site
1.5.4      Nov 2009   Version printed in email
1.5.5      Feb 2011  more options for config added - email reports only and/or backup, save backup file to local and/or remote server.
                                Reporter added: email report of last 6 (or more) backup stats (date, total bytes exported, total lines exported) plus any errors
                                MySQL error reporting added  and Automated version checker added
1.6.0      Dec 2011  PDO version
1.6.1      April 2012 - CURLOPT_TRANSFERTEXT turned off (to stop garbaging zip file on transfer) and bug removed from write_back
1.6.2      Sept 2012 - updated newline to constant:  NEWLINE
1.6.3      Oct 2012 - corrected bug with CONSTRAINT and added CHARSET - bug fix code gratefully received from: [email protected]
********************************************************************************************/
$phpMySQLAutoBackup_version="1.6.3";
// ---------------------------------------------------------
function has_data($value)
{
 if (is_array($value)) return (sizeof($value) > 0)? true : false;
 else return (($value != '') && (strtolower($value) != 'null') && (strlen(trim($value)) > 0)) ? true : false;
}

function xmail ($to_emailaddress,$from_emailaddress, $subject, $content, $file_name, $backup_type, $ver)
{
 $mail_attached = "";
 $boundary = "----=_NextPart_000_01FB_010".md5($to_emailaddress);
 $mail_attached.="--".$boundary.NEWLINE
                       ."Content-Type: application/octet-stream;".NEWLINE." name=\"$file_name\"".NEWLINE
                       ."Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64".NEWLINE
                       ."Content-Disposition: attachment;".NEWLINE." filename=\"$file_name\"".NEWLINE.NEWLINE
                       .chunk_split(base64_encode($content)).NEWLINE;
 $mail_attached .= "--".$boundary."--".NEWLINE;
 $add_header ="MIME-Version: 1.0".NEWLINE."Content-Type: multipart/mixed;".NEWLINE." boundary=\"$boundary\" ".NEWLINE;
 $mail_content="--".$boundary.NEWLINE."Content-Type: text/plain; ".NEWLINE." charset=\"iso-8859-1\"".NEWLINE."Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit".NEWLINE.NEWLINE."BACKUP Successful...".NEWLINE.NEWLINE."Please see attached for your zipped Backup file; $backup_type ".NEWLINE."If this is the first backup then you should test it restores correctly to a test server.".NEWLINE.NEWLINE." phpMySQLAutoBackup (version $ver) is developed by http://www.dwalker.co.uk/ ".NEWLINE.NEWLINE." Have a good day now you have a backup of your MySQL db  :-) ".NEWLINE.NEWLINE." Please consider making a donation at: ".NEWLINE." http://www.dwalker.co.uk/make_a_donation.php ".NEWLINE." (every penny or cent helps)".NEWLINE.$mail_attached;
 return mail($to_emailaddress, $subject, $mail_content, "From: $from_emailaddress".NEWLINE."Reply-To:$from_emailaddress".NEWLINE.$add_header);
}

function write_backup($gzdata, $backup_file_name)
{
 $fp = fopen(LOCATION."../backups/".$backup_file_name, "w");
 fwrite($fp, $gzdata);
 fclose($fp);
 //check folder is protected - stop HTTP access
 if (!file_exists(LOCATION."../backups/.htaccess"))
 {
  $fp = fopen(LOCATION."../backups/.htaccess", "w");
  fwrite($fp, "deny from all");
  fclose($fp);
 }
 delete_old_backups();
}

function delete_old_backups()
{
    $files=$keep=array();
    $prefix = 'mysql_'.DBNAME;
    $suffix = ".sql.gz";
    $dir = LOCATION."../backups/";
    if ($handle = opendir($dir))
      {
       while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle)))
        {
         if ((filetype($dir.$file) == "file") && (substr($file,0,strlen($prefix)) == $prefix) && (substr($file,-strlen($suffix)) == $suffix) && (filesize($dir.$file)>0))
          {
           $files[filemtime($dir.$file)]= $file;       
          }
         }
        closedir($handle);
        krsort($files);
        $slice = min(TOTAL_BACKUP_FILES_TO_RETAIN,sizeof($files));
        if ($slice)
         {
          $erase = array_slice($files,TOTAL_BACKUP_FILES_TO_RETAIN);
          foreach ($erase as $key=>$thisOne)
           {
            unlink($dir.$thisOne);
           }
         } 
      }
}

class transfer_backup
{
      public $error = "";
      public function transfer_data($ftp_username,$ftp_password,$ftp_server,$ftp_path,$filename)
      {
       if (function_exists('curl_exec'))
       {
        $file=LOCATION."../backups/".$filename;
        $fp = fopen($file, "r");
        $ch = curl_init();
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "ftp://$ftp_username:$ftp_password@$ftp_server.$ftp_path".$filename);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_INFILE, $fp);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_INFILESIZE, filesize($file));
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TRANSFERTEXT, 0);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_REFERER, $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']." - via phpMySQLAutoBackup");
        $output = curl_exec($ch);
        $info = curl_getinfo($ch);
        if (empty($info['http_code'])) $this->error = NEWLINE."FTP ERROR - Failed to transfer backup file to remote ftp server";
        else
        {
         $http_codes = parse_ini_file(LOCATION."http_codes.ini");
         if ($info['http_code']!=226) $this->error = NEWLINE.NEWLINE."FTP ERROR - server response: ".NEWLINE.$info['http_code']
                                            ." " . $http_codes[$info['http_code']]
                                            .NEWLINE."for more detail please refer to: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/4_FileTransfer.html"                                            ;
        }
        curl_close($ch);

}
       else $this->error = NEWLINE.NEWLINE."WARNING: FTP will not function as PHP CURL does not exist on your hosting account - try a new host:  http://www.seiretto.com";
       return $this->error;
      }
}

class record
{
      public function save($date, $bytes, $lines)
      {
       $dbc = dbc::instance();
       $result = $dbc->prepare("SHOW TABLES LIKE 'phpmysqlautobackup_log' ");
       $rows = $dbc->executeGetRows($result);
       if(count($rows)<1)
       {
        $q="CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `phpmysqlautobackup_log` (
            `date` int(11) NOT NULL,
            `bytes` int(11) NOT NULL,
            `lines` int(11) NOT NULL,
             PRIMARY KEY (`date`) )";
        $result = $dbc->prepare($q);
        $result = $dbc->execute($result);
       }
       $query="INSERT INTO `phpmysqlautobackup_log` (`date`, `bytes`, `lines`)
                 VALUES ('$date', '$bytes', '$lines')";
       $result = $dbc->prepare($query);
       $query="SELECT date FROM `phpmysqlautobackup_log` ORDER BY `date` DESC LIMIT 0, ".LOG_REPORTS_MAX;

$search_date=$rows[count($rows)-1]['date'];
       $query="delete FROM `phpmysqlautobackup_log` where date<'$search_date' ";
      }

public function get()
      {
       $dbc = dbc::instance();
       $result = $dbc->prepare("SELECT * FROM `phpmysqlautobackup_log` ORDER BY `date` DESC ");
       $report=NEWLINE."Below are the records of the last ".LOG_REPORTS_MAX." backups.".NEWLINE."DATE and TIME (total bytes, Total lines exported)";
       foreach ($rows as $row)
       {
        $report.= NEWLINE.strftime("%d %b %Y - %H:%M:%S",$row['date'])." (";
        $report.= number_format(($row['bytes']/1000), 2, '.', '') ." KB, ";
        $report.= number_format($row['lines'])." lines)";
       }
       return $report;
      }

}

class version
{
 public function check($version)
      {
       $newest_version=$version;
       if (function_exists('curl_exec'))
       {
        $ch = curl_init();
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://www.dwalker.co.uk/versions/phpMySQLAutoBackup.php");
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, TRUE);
        $newest_version=curl_exec($ch);
        curl_close($ch);
       }
       /*elseif ($fp = fsockopen("www.dwalker.co.uk", 80, $errno, $errstr, 30));
       {
        $headers ="GET /versions/phpMySQLAutoBackup.php HTTP/1.0\r\nHost: dwalker.co.uk\r\n"
                . "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n"
                . "\r\nConnection: close\r\n\r\n";
        fwrite($fp, $headers);
        while (!feof($fp))
        {
         $newest_version= fgets($fp, 128);
        }
        fclose($fp);
       } */
       if ($version!=$newest_version) return "*WARNING: UPGRADE REQUIRED - please visit: http://www.dwalker.co.uk/phpmysqlautobackup/ ";
      }
}

class dbc extends PDO
{
 protected static $instance;

public function __construct()
 {   
   $options = array(PDO::ATTR_PERSISTENT => true,
   PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE => PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION,
   PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND => "SET NAMES ".CHARSET // this command will be executed during every connection to server - suggested by: [email protected]
   );
   try {
        $this->dbconn = new PDO(DBDRIVER.":host=".DBHOST.";port=".DBPORT.";dbname=".DBNAME,DBUSER,DBPASS,$options);
        return $this->dbconn;
       }
    catch (PDOException $e){ $this->reportDBError($e->getMessage()); }   
 }

public function reportDBError($msg)
 {
  if (DEBUG) print_r('<div style="padding:10%;"><h3>'.nl2br($msg).'</h3></div>');
  else
  {
   if(!session_id()) session_start();
   $_SESSION['pmab_mysql_errors'] = NEWLINE.NEWLINE."MySQL error: ".$msg."\n";
  }

}

public static function instance()
 {
  if (!isset(self::$instance)) self::$instance = new self();
  return self::$instance;
 }

public function prepare($query) {
  try { return $this->dbconn->prepare($query); }
 }      

public function bindParam($query) {
  try { return $this->dbconn->bindParam($query); }
 }

public function query($query) {
  try {
       if ($this->query($query)) return $this->fetchAll();
       else return 0;
      } 
   catch (PDOException $e){ $this->reportDBError($e->getMessage()."<hr>".$e->getTraceAsString()); } }

public function execute($result) {//use for insert/update/delete
  try { if ($result->execute()) return $result; } 
   catch (PDOException $e){ $this->reportDBError($e->getMessage()."<hr>".$e->getTraceAsString()); }     
 }
 public function executeGetRows($result) {//use to retrieve rows of data
  try { 
       if ($result->execute()) return $result->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
       else return 0;
      }
    catch (PDOException $e){ $this->reportDBError($e->getMessage()."<hr>".$e->getTraceAsString()); }     
 }

public function __clone()
 {  //not allowed
 }
 public function __destruct()
 {
  $this->dbconn = null;
 }
}

So where is the PHP code that produced the offending SQL query? I don't see it in the code you gave. Did you change select date,byte,lines to select *, and it gives the same error? Has the code always been select *? I've never seen the error message translate it to the full field list.

The code was always select *. I tried to change it to select date, byte, lines but it didn't change anything. I'm not really sure that that SQL query comes from that file, though, at least because doesn't matter what I change there, it doesn't affect how the error is displayed. Other than that file, I don't know what else to think where it can come from.

OK, so you're getting the error message you showed in your first post? That means it can't be coming from the file you gave. Do you know how to use findstr (in Windows) or grep (in Linux) to search all your files for the query? I still suspect that MySQL is getting confused about 'date' as both a reserved word and field name, so once you find the PHP that produces it, and add backticks, hopefully it will be fixed.

I tried to search all the files for the query, but it returned 0 results. Neither one of the files contain that query. At this point I'm completely lost and have no idea what else can cause the error.

What exactly are you looking for? It's quite possible that you won't find the string select * from phpmysqlautobackup_log, as it may have been assembled from smaller pieces. Somewhere in your files you should find phpmysqlqutobackup, at a minimum, and from there you can see the variable it's been used in and trace through until you find where the entire query has been built up. I would guess that term should be rare enough that it won't take you off on too many wild goose chases. Then you can try inserting backticks around the field names to see if that cures the error. At least, you can confirm that you've found the right place. It's also possible that there are some invisible, yet invalid, characters in the query.

Was this code written specifically for osCommerce, or is it a generic backup code? The comments suggest that it's generic. Did the author leave the integration into other applications to you? If so, maybe you aren't connecting to the database quite correctly.

Here are the search results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\default>cd C:\Users\default\Desktop\...\...\check\...\backup 12-25-14\...

C:\Users\default\Desktop\...\...\check\...\backup 12-2
5-14\...>findstr /s/i/m "\<phpmysqlautobackup\>" *.*
FINDSTR: // ignored
FINDSTR: // ignored
admin\backups\db_...-201412201511.sql
admin\backups\db_...-201412201553.sql
admin\backups\db_...-201412241145.sql
admin\includes\modules\dashboard\d_extended_tools.php
phpjobscheduler\readme.html
phpmysqlautobackup\files\phpmysqlautobackup.php
phpmysqlautobackup\files\phpmysqlautobackup_extras.php
phpmysqlautobackup\files\schema_for_export.php
phpmysqlautobackup\readme.html
phpmysqlautobackup\run.php

The referenced string was found only in previously created backup files and phpmysqlautobackup files. I compared the two backup files (one created by phpmysqlautobackup add-on and the other one (partial) created from the admin control panel). Here is the ending of the backup file that was partially created (up to the point where the error stopped it) from the admin:

drop table if exists phpmysqlautobackup_log;
create table phpmysqlautobackup_log (
  date int(11) not null ,
  bytes int(11) not null ,
  lines int(11) not null ,
  PRIMARY KEY (date)
);

Here is the similar part of the code from the backup file that is created automatically by phpmysqlautobackup add-on:

drop table if exists `phpmysqlautobackup_log`;
;

insert into `phpmysqlautobackup_log` (`date`, `bytes`, `lines`) values ('1414596690','27891813','53246'),
('1410967703','28205678','55867'),
('1412782243','25391175','47329'),
('1409154417','31770718','66950'),
('1416410896','24165970','45180'),
('1418225694','27529500','50624');

I got it! In admin/backup.php I had to insert backticks into the few lines.

line 47

$schema = 'drop table if exists `' . $table . '`;' . "\n" .
                    'create table `' . $table . '` (' . "\n";

line 102:

// dump the data
          if ( ($table != TABLE_SESSIONS ) && ($table != TABLE_WHOS_ONLINE) ) {
            $rows_query = tep_db_query("select `" . implode('`, `', $table_list) . "` from " . $table);
            while ($rows = tep_db_fetch_array($rows_query)) {
              $schema = 'insert into `' . $table . '` (`' . implode('`, `', $table_list) . '`) values (';

Now it's giving an error when restoring the db:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''
insert into `pages_description` (`id`, `pages_id`, `pages_title`, `pages_html_text`, `intorext`, `externallink`, `link_target`, `language_id`) values ('16', '6', 'Conditions of Use', '

[TEP STOP]

And the "case 'restorenow':" from the admin/backup.php:

case 'restorenow':
      case 'restorelocalnow':
        tep_set_time_limit(0);

if ($action == 'restorenow') {
          $read_from = $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'];

if (file_exists(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'])) {
            $restore_file = DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'];
            $extension = substr($HTTP_GET_VARS['file'], -3);

if ( ($extension == 'sql') || ($extension == '.gz') || ($extension == 'zip') ) {
              switch ($extension) {
                case 'sql':
                  $restore_from = $restore_file;
                  $remove_raw = false;
                  break;
                case '.gz':
                  $restore_from = substr($restore_file, 0, -3);
                  exec(LOCAL_EXE_GUNZIP . ' ' . $restore_file . ' -c > ' . $restore_from);
                  $remove_raw = true;
                  break;
                case 'zip':
                  $restore_from = substr($restore_file, 0, -4);
                  exec(LOCAL_EXE_UNZIP . ' ' . $restore_file . ' -d ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP);
                  $remove_raw = true;
              }

if (isset($restore_from) && file_exists($restore_from) && (filesize($restore_from) > 15000)) {
                $fd = fopen($restore_from, 'rb');
                $restore_query = fread($fd, filesize($restore_from));
                fclose($fd);
              }
            }
          }
        } elseif ($action == 'restorelocalnow') {
          $sql_file = new upload('sql_file');

if ($sql_file->parse() == true) {
            $restore_query = fread(fopen($sql_file->tmp_filename, 'r'), filesize($sql_file->tmp_filename));
            $read_from = $sql_file->filename;
          }
        }

if (isset($restore_query)) {
          $sql_array = array();
          $drop_table_names = array();
          $sql_length = strlen($restore_query);
          $pos = strpos($restore_query, ';');
          for ($i=$pos; $i<$sql_length; $i++) {
            if ($restore_query[0] == '#') {
              $restore_query = ltrim(substr($restore_query, strpos($restore_query, "\n")));
              $i = strpos($restore_query, ';')-1;
              continue;
            }
            if ($restore_query[($i+1)] == "\n") {
              for ($j=($i+2); $j<$sql_length; $j++) {
                if (trim($restore_query[$j]) != '') {
                  $next = substr($restore_query, $j, 6);
                  if ($next[0] == '#') {
// find out where the break position is so we can remove this line (#comment line)
                    for ($k=$j; $k<$sql_length; $k++) {
                      if ($restore_query[$k] == "\n") break;
                    }
                    $query = substr($restore_query, 0, $i+1);
                    $restore_query = substr($restore_query, $k);
// join the query before the comment appeared, with the rest of the dump
                    $restore_query = $query . $restore_query;
                    continue 2;
                  }
                  break;
                }
              }
              if ($next == '') { // get the last insert query
                $next = 'insert';
              }
              if ( (preg_match('/create/i', $next)) || (preg_match('/insert/i', $next)) || (preg_match('/drop t/i', $next)) ) {
                $query = substr($restore_query, 0, $i);

$next = '';
                $sql_array[] = $query;
                $restore_query = ltrim(substr($restore_query, $i+1));

if (preg_match('/^create*/i', $query)) {
                  $table_name = trim(substr($query, stripos($query, 'table ')+6));
                  $table_name = substr($table_name, 0, strpos($table_name, ' '));

$drop_table_names[] = $table_name;
                }
              }
            }
          }

tep_db_query('drop table if exists ' . implode(', ', $drop_table_names));

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($sql_array); $i<$n; $i++) {
            tep_db_query($sql_array[$i]);
          }

tep_session_close();

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_WHOS_ONLINE);
          tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_SESSIONS);

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key = 'DB_LAST_RESTORE'");
          tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " values (null, 'Last Database Restore', 'DB_LAST_RESTORE', '" . $read_from . "', 'Last database restore file', '6', '0', null, now(), '', '')");

if (isset($remove_raw) && ($remove_raw == true)) {
            unlink($restore_from);
          }

$messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_DATABASE_RESTORED, 'success');
        }

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP));
        break;
      case 'download':

if ( ($extension == 'zip') || ($extension == '.gz') || ($extension == 'sql') ) {
          if ($fp = fopen(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'], 'rb')) {
            $buffer = fread($fp, filesize(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']));
            fclose($fp);

header('Content-type: application/x-octet-stream');
            header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']);

echo $buffer;

exit;
          }
        } else {
          $messageStack->add(ERROR_DOWNLOAD_LINK_NOT_ACCEPTABLE, 'error');
        }
        break;
      case 'deleteconfirm':
        if (strstr($HTTP_GET_VARS['file'], '..')) tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP));

tep_remove(DIR_FS_BACKUP . '/' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']);

if (!$tep_remove_error) {
          $messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_BACKUP_DELETED, 'success');

}
        break;
    }
  }

Hi

Sorry to join the party so late on.

I would find that section in the file you are restoring and try to run it manually.

or you could post the line in erros and the one before and the one after so we can see the entire command.

Cheers

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thanks for joining, Geoffrey. Please explain what do you mean by saying "run it manually". I'd like to test more, but the restoration process crushes my database every time I run it, so if there is any other way to test the restore function without actually crushing the db, I'd like to know about that.

Hi

Most hosting packages have an option to allow you access your db called phpmyadmin.

You can find the file you are using to "Restore" and edit it to find the lines where it is going wrong.

Then either post them here or use the "sql" option in phpmyadmin and paste them in there and try to run them, then when they go wrong edit them and remove the error to see what is wrong.

If you are not familiar with mysql commands (or want the easy way out :-) ) post the line in error and the one before and the one after so we can see the entire command.

Cheers

G.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

My backup file size is 26,568,557 bytes. When I try to restore this backup, it seems like it's entering an endless loop.

Maybe that's too large for your server to handle, and you're actually timing out at some point. You should be able to take the .sql file and use an editor to break it up into smaller pieces that can be run as separate jobs. There should also be some programs to back up or restore large databases without timing out. "bigdump" comes to mind -- that may be the name of it. You would have to install it on your server, and not offend your host.

Running the restore in smaller chunks can also help you isolate problems in the backup, such as ' within a '-delimited string, or missing quotes around strings or hex, etc. I've seen all sorts of problems produced by backup programs written by people who were careless about such things.

Manually breaking up an .sql file requires some knowledge of SQL structure and syntax, so that you don't unwittingly break in the middle of a statement. You definitely want to make sure the table has been created before trying to insert data into it, and very long inserts (more than a few hundred sets of values) would need to duplicate the "insert" and field list if you decide to split in the middle of one.

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''

insert into `pages_description` (`id`, `pages_id`, `pages_title`, `pages_html_text`, `intorext`, `externallink`, `link_target`, `language_id`) values ('16', '6', 'Conditions of Use', '.........

doesn't show any obvious problems, so long as the values list has the same number of items as the field list (8). The message should give you the PHP code location that the problem occurred in, or at least, the full SQL query that failed.

Note that table names don't normally have to be backticked, unless a table name uses a reserved keyword. It probably doesn't hurt, but it's not magic, either.

The problem is with the backup function or how it creates the backup. The "create table" function doesn't add backticks to the column names. When I manually added them, the restore went through. The question is how do I fix the "create table" function to add the backticks to the column names. Please see my admin/backup.php below:

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com'>http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');

if (tep_not_null($action)) {
    switch ($action) {
      case 'forget':
        tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key = 'DB_LAST_RESTORE'");

$messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_LAST_RESTORE_CLEARED, 'success');

break;
      case 'backupnow':
        tep_set_time_limit(0);
        $backup_file = 'db_' . DB_DATABASE . '-' . date('YmdHis') . '.sql';
        $fp = fopen(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file, 'w');

$schema = '# osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions' . "\n" .
                  '# http://www.oscommerce.com'>http://www.oscommerce.com' . "\n" .
                  '#' . "\n" .
                  '# Database Backup For ' . STORE_NAME . "\n" .
                  '# Copyright (c) ' . date('Y') . ' ' . STORE_OWNER . "\n" .
                  '#' . "\n" .
                  '# Database: ' . DB_DATABASE . "\n" .
                  '# Database Server: ' . DB_SERVER . "\n" .
                  '#' . "\n" .
                  '# Backup Date: ' . date(PHP_DATE_TIME_FORMAT) . "\n\n";
        fputs($fp, $schema);

$tables_query = tep_db_query('show tables');
        while ($tables = tep_db_fetch_array($tables_query)) {
          list(,$table) = each($tables);

$schema = 'drop table if exists `' . $table . '`;' . "\n" .
                    'create table `' . $table . '` (' . "\n";

$table_list = array();
          $fields_query = tep_db_query("show fields from " . $table);
          while ($fields = tep_db_fetch_array($fields_query)) {
            $table_list[] = $fields['Field'];

$schema .= ' ' . $fields['Field'] . ' ' . $fields['Type'];

if (strlen($fields['Default']) > 0) $schema .= ' default \'' . $fields['Default'] . '\'';

if ($fields['Null'] != 'YES') $schema .= ' not null';

if (isset($fields['Extra'])) $schema .= ' ' . $fields['Extra'];

$schema .= ',' . "\n";
          }

$schema = preg_replace("/,\n$/", '', $schema);

// add the keys
          $index = array();
          $keys_query = tep_db_query("show keys from " . $table);
          while ($keys = tep_db_fetch_array($keys_query)) {
            $kname = $keys['Key_name'];

if (!isset($index[$kname])) {
              $index[$kname] = array('unique' => !$keys['Non_unique'],
                                     'fulltext' => ($keys['Index_type'] == 'FULLTEXT' ? '1' : '0'),
                                     'columns' => array());
            }

$index[$kname]['columns'][] = $keys['Column_name'];
          }

while (list($kname, $info) = each($index)) {
            $schema .= ',' . "\n";

$columns = implode($info['columns'], ', ');

if ($kname == 'PRIMARY') {
              $schema .= '  PRIMARY KEY (' . $columns . ')';
            } elseif ( $info['fulltext'] == '1' ) {
              $schema .= '  FULLTEXT ' . $kname . ' (' . $columns . ')';
            } elseif ($info['unique']) {
              $schema .= '  UNIQUE ' . $kname . ' (' . $columns . ')';
            } else {
              $schema .= '  KEY ' . $kname . ' (' . $columns . ')';
            }
          }

$schema .= "\n" . ');' . "\n\n";
          fputs($fp, $schema);

// dump the data
          if ( ($table != TABLE_SESSIONS ) && ($table != TABLE_WHOS_ONLINE) ) {
            $rows_query = tep_db_query("select `" . implode('`, `', $table_list) . "` from " . $table);
            while ($rows = tep_db_fetch_array($rows_query)) {
              $schema = 'insert into `' . $table . '` (`' . implode('`, `', $table_list) . '`) values (';

reset($table_list);
              while (list(,$i) = each($table_list)) {
                if (!isset($rows[$i])) {
                  $schema .= 'NULL, ';
                } elseif (tep_not_null($rows[$i])) {
                  $row = addslashes($rows[$i]);
                  $row = preg_replace("/\n#/", "\n".'\#', $row);

$schema .= '\'' . $row . '\', ';
                } else {
                  $schema .= '\'\', ';
                }
              }

$schema = preg_replace('/, $/', '', $schema) . ');' . "\n";
              fputs($fp, $schema);
            }
          }
        }

fclose($fp);

if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['download']) && ($HTTP_POST_VARS['download'] == 'yes')) {
          switch ($HTTP_POST_VARS['compress']) {
            case 'gzip':
              exec(LOCAL_EXE_GZIP . ' ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);
              $backup_file .= '.gz';
              break;
            case 'zip':
              exec(LOCAL_EXE_ZIP . ' -j ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file . '.zip ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);
              unlink(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);
              $backup_file .= '.zip';
          }
          header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename=' . $backup_file);

readfile(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);

exit;
        } else {
          switch ($HTTP_POST_VARS['compress']) {
            case 'gzip':
              exec(LOCAL_EXE_GZIP . ' ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);
              break;
            case 'zip':
              exec(LOCAL_EXE_ZIP . ' -j ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file . '.zip ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP . $backup_file);
          }

$messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_DATABASE_SAVED, 'success');
        }

break;
      case 'restorenow':
      case 'restorelocalnow':
        tep_set_time_limit(0);

if ($action == 'restorenow') {
          $read_from = $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'];

if (file_exists(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'])) {
            $restore_file = DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'];

if ( ($extension == 'sql') || ($extension == '.gz') || ($extension == 'zip') ) {
              switch ($extension) {
                case 'sql':
                  $restore_from = $restore_file;
                  $remove_raw = false;
                  break;
                case '.gz':
                  $restore_from = substr($restore_file, 0, -3);
                  exec(LOCAL_EXE_GUNZIP . ' ' . $restore_file . ' -c > ' . $restore_from);
                  $remove_raw = true;
                  break;
                case 'zip':
                  $restore_from = substr($restore_file, 0, -4);
                  exec(LOCAL_EXE_UNZIP . ' ' . $restore_file . ' -d ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP);
                  $remove_raw = true;
              }

if (isset($restore_from) && file_exists($restore_from) && (filesize($restore_from) > 15000)) {
                $fd = fopen($restore_from, 'rb');
                $restore_query = fread($fd, filesize($restore_from));
                fclose($fd);
              }
            }
          }
        } elseif ($action == 'restorelocalnow') {
          $sql_file = new upload('sql_file');

if ($sql_file->parse() == true) {
            $restore_query = fread(fopen($sql_file->tmp_filename, 'r'), filesize($sql_file->tmp_filename));
            $read_from = $sql_file->filename;
          }
        }

if (isset($restore_query)) {
          $sql_array = array();
          $drop_table_names = array();
          $pos = strpos($restore_query, ';');
          for ($i=$pos; $i<$sql_length; $i++) {
            if ($restore_query[0] == '#') {
              $restore_query = ltrim(substr($restore_query, strpos($restore_query, "\n")));
              continue;
            }
            if ($restore_query[($i+1)] == "\n") {
              for ($j=($i+2); $j<$sql_length; $j++) {
                if (trim($restore_query[$j]) != '') {
                  $next = substr($restore_query, $j, 6);
                  if ($next[0] == '#') {
// find out where the break position is so we can remove this line (#comment line)
                    for ($k=$j; $k<$sql_length; $k++) {
                      if ($restore_query[$k] == "\n") break;
                    }
                    $query = substr($restore_query, 0, $i+1);
                    $restore_query = substr($restore_query, $k);
// join the query before the comment appeared, with the rest of the dump
                    $restore_query = $query . $restore_query;
                    continue 2;
                  }
                  break;
                }
              }
              if ($next == '') { // get the last insert query
                $next = 'insert';
              }
              if ( (preg_match('/create/i', $next)) || (preg_match('/insert/i', $next)) || (preg_match('/drop t/i', $next)) ) {
                $query = substr($restore_query, 0, $i);

$next = '';
                $sql_array[] = $query;
                $restore_query = ltrim(substr($restore_query, $i+1));

if (preg_match('/^create*/i', $query)) {
                  $table_name = trim(substr($query, stripos($query, 'table ')+6));
                  $table_name = substr($table_name, 0, strpos($table_name, ' '));

$drop_table_names[] = $table_name;
                }
              }
            }
          }

tep_db_query('drop table if exists ' . implode(', ', $drop_table_names));

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($sql_array); $i<$n; $i++) {
            tep_db_query($sql_array[$i]);
          }

tep_session_close();

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_WHOS_ONLINE);
          tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_SESSIONS);

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " values (null, 'Last Database Restore', 'DB_LAST_RESTORE', '" . $read_from . "', 'Last database restore file', '6', '0', null, now(), '', '')");

if (isset($remove_raw) && ($remove_raw == true)) {
            unlink($restore_from);
          }

$messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_DATABASE_RESTORED, 'success');
        }

break;
      case 'download':

if ( ($extension == 'zip') || ($extension == '.gz') || ($extension == 'sql') ) {
          if ($fp = fopen(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file'], 'rb')) {
            $buffer = fread($fp, filesize(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']));
            fclose($fp);

header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']);

echo $buffer;

exit;
          }
        } else {
          $messageStack->add(ERROR_DOWNLOAD_LINK_NOT_ACCEPTABLE, 'error');
        }
        break;
      case 'deleteconfirm':
        if (strstr($HTTP_GET_VARS['file'], '..')) tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP));

tep_remove(DIR_FS_BACKUP . '/' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['file']);

if (!$tep_remove_error) {
          $messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_BACKUP_DELETED, 'success');

}
        break;
    }
  }

// check if the backup directory exists
  $dir_ok = false;
  if (is_dir(DIR_FS_BACKUP)) {
    if (tep_is_writable(DIR_FS_BACKUP)) {
      $dir_ok = true;
    } else {
      $messageStack->add(ERROR_BACKUP_DIRECTORY_NOT_WRITEABLE, 'error');
    }
  } else {
    $messageStack->add(ERROR_BACKUP_DIRECTORY_DOES_NOT_EXIST, 'error');
  }

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_top.php');
?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
      <tr>
        <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
          <tr>
            <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
            <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
          </tr>
        </table></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
          <tr>
            <td valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
              <tr class="dataTableHeadingRow">
                <td class="dataTableHeadingContent"><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
                <td class="dataTableHeadingContent" align="center"><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_FILE_DATE; ?></td>
                <td class="dataTableHeadingContent" align="right"><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_FILE_SIZE; ?></td>
                <td class="dataTableHeadingContent" align="right"><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_ACTION; ?> </td>
              </tr>
<?php
  if ($dir_ok == true) {
    $dir = dir(DIR_FS_BACKUP);
    $contents = array();
    while ($file = $dir->read()) {
      if (!is_dir(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $file) && in_array(substr($file, -3), array('zip', 'sql', '.gz'))) {
        $contents[] = $file;
      }
    }
    sort($contents);

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($contents); $i<$n; $i++) {
      $entry = $contents[$i];

$check = 0;

if ((!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['file']) || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['file']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['file'] == $entry))) && !isset($buInfo) && ($action != 'backup') && ($action != 'restorelocal')) {
        $file_array['file'] = $entry;
        $file_array['date'] = date(PHP_DATE_TIME_FORMAT, filemtime(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $entry));
        $file_array['size'] = number_format(filesize(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $entry)) . ' bytes';
        switch (substr($entry, -3)) {
          case 'zip': $file_array['compression'] = 'ZIP'; break;
          case '.gz': $file_array['compression'] = 'GZIP'; break;
          default: $file_array['compression'] = TEXT_NO_EXTENSION; break;
        }

$buInfo = new objectInfo($file_array);
      }

if (isset($buInfo) && is_object($buInfo) && ($entry == $buInfo->file)) {
        echo '              <tr id="defaultSelected" class="dataTableRowSelected" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)">' . "\n";
        $onclick_link = 'file=' . $buInfo->file . '&action=restore';
      } else {
        echo '              <tr class="dataTableRow" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)">' . "\n";
        $onclick_link = 'file=' . $entry;
      }
?>
                <td class="dataTableContent" onclick="document.location.href='<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, $onclick_link); ?>'"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=download&file=' . $entry) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_ICONS . 'file_download.gif', ICON_FILE_DOWNLOAD) . '</a> ' . $entry; ?></td>
                <td class="dataTableContent" align="center" onclick="document.location.href='<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, $onclick_link); ?>'"><?php echo date(PHP_DATE_TIME_FORMAT, filemtime(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $entry)); ?></td>
                <td class="dataTableContent" align="right" onclick="document.location.href='<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, $onclick_link); ?>'"><?php echo number_format(filesize(DIR_FS_BACKUP . $entry)); ?> bytes</td>
                <td class="dataTableContent" align="right"><?php if (isset($buInfo) && is_object($buInfo) && ($entry == $buInfo->file)) { echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icon_arrow_right.gif', ''); } else { echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $entry) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icon_info.gif', IMAGE_ICON_INFO) . '</a>'; } ?> </td>
              </tr>
<?php
    }
    $dir->close();
  }
?>
              <tr>
                <td class="smallText" colspan="3"><?php echo TEXT_BACKUP_DIRECTORY . ' ' . DIR_FS_BACKUP; ?></td>
                <td align="right" class="smallText"><?php if ( ($action != 'backup') && (isset($dir)) ) echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BACKUP, 'copy', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=backup')); if ( ($action != 'restorelocal') && isset($dir) ) echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_RESTORE, 'arrowrefresh-1-w', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=restorelocal')); ?></td>
              </tr>
<?php
  if (defined('DB_LAST_RESTORE')) {
?>
              <tr>
                <td class="smallText" colspan="4"><?php echo TEXT_LAST_RESTORATION . ' ' . DB_LAST_RESTORE . ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=forget') . '">' . TEXT_FORGET . '</a>'; ?></td>
              </tr>
<?php
  }
?>
            </table></td>
<?php
  $heading = array();
  $contents = array();

switch ($action) {
    case 'backup':
      $heading[] = array('text' => '<strong>' . TEXT_INFO_HEADING_NEW_BACKUP . '</strong>');

$contents = array('form' => tep_draw_form('backup', FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=backupnow'));
      $contents[] = array('text' => TEXT_INFO_NEW_BACKUP);

$contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_radio_field('compress', 'no', true) . ' ' . TEXT_INFO_USE_NO_COMPRESSION);
      if (file_exists(LOCAL_EXE_GZIP)) $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_radio_field('compress', 'gzip') . ' ' . TEXT_INFO_USE_GZIP);
      if (file_exists(LOCAL_EXE_ZIP)) $contents[] = array('text' => tep_draw_radio_field('compress', 'zip') . ' ' . TEXT_INFO_USE_ZIP);

if ($dir_ok == true) {
        $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_checkbox_field('download', 'yes') . ' ' . TEXT_INFO_DOWNLOAD_ONLY . '*<br /><br />*' . TEXT_INFO_BEST_THROUGH_HTTPS);
      } else {
        $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_radio_field('download', 'yes', true) . ' ' . TEXT_INFO_DOWNLOAD_ONLY . '*<br /><br />*' . TEXT_INFO_BEST_THROUGH_HTTPS);
      }

$contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BACKUP, 'copy', null, 'primary') . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_CANCEL, 'close', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP)));
      break;
    case 'restore':
      $heading[] = array('text' => '<strong>' . $buInfo->date . '</strong>');

$contents[] = array('text' => tep_break_string(sprintf(TEXT_INFO_RESTORE, DIR_FS_BACKUP . (($buInfo->compression != TEXT_NO_EXTENSION) ? substr($buInfo->file, 0, strrpos($buInfo->file, '.')) : $buInfo->file), ($buInfo->compression != TEXT_NO_EXTENSION) ? TEXT_INFO_UNPACK : ''), 35, ' '));
      $contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_RESTORE, 'arrowrefresh-1-w', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file . '&action=restorenow'), 'primary') . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_CANCEL, 'close', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file)));
      break;
    case 'restorelocal':
      $heading[] = array('text' => '<strong>' . TEXT_INFO_HEADING_RESTORE_LOCAL . '</strong>');

$contents = array('form' => tep_draw_form('restore', FILENAME_BACKUP, 'action=restorelocalnow', 'post', 'enctype="multipart/form-data"'));
      $contents[] = array('text' => TEXT_INFO_RESTORE_LOCAL . '<br /><br />' . TEXT_INFO_BEST_THROUGH_HTTPS);
      $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_file_field('sql_file'));
      $contents[] = array('text' => TEXT_INFO_RESTORE_LOCAL_RAW_FILE);
      $contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_RESTORE, 'arrowrefresh-1-w', null, 'primary') . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_CANCEL, 'close', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP)));
      break;
    case 'delete':

$contents = array('form' => tep_draw_form('delete', FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file . '&action=deleteconfirm'));
      $contents[] = array('text' => TEXT_DELETE_INTRO);
      $contents[] = array('text' => '<br /><strong>' . $buInfo->file . '</strong>');
      $contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br />' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_DELETE, 'trash', null, 'primary') . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_CANCEL, 'close', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file)));
      break;
    default:
      if (isset($buInfo) && is_object($buInfo)) {

$contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => tep_draw_button(IMAGE_RESTORE, 'arrowrefresh-1-w', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file . '&action=restore')) . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_DELETE, 'trash', tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'file=' . $buInfo->file . '&action=delete')));
        $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . TEXT_INFO_DATE . ' ' . $buInfo->date);
        $contents[] = array('text' => TEXT_INFO_SIZE . ' ' . $buInfo->size);
        $contents[] = array('text' => '<br />' . TEXT_INFO_COMPRESSION . ' ' . $buInfo->compression);
      }
      break;
  }

if ( (tep_not_null($heading)) && (tep_not_null($contents)) ) {
    echo '            <td width="25%" valign="top">' . "\n";

$box = new box;
    echo $box->infoBox($heading, $contents);

echo '            </td>' . "\n";
  }
?>
          </tr>
        </table></td>
      </tr>
    </table>

<?php
  require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_bottom.php');
  require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php');
?>

Any place that a field name is written out to SQL, wrap it in backticks. Change

$schema .= ' ' . $fields['Field'] . ' ' . $fields['Type'];

to

$schema .= ' `' . $fields['Field'] . '` ' . $fields['Type'];

There may be other places this is needed.

It did the job, thank you! However, the restore process through admin takes a very long time (around an hour) to complete. I rather use the Command Line to restore the database. It runs in a matter of seconds and doesn't give any errors so far.

Archived