• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tailfeathers

Dan1113

Hi everyone,

First let me start off by saying this is not a live store...it'll still be a while before it is made public, but I wanted comments on how I could improve it before making it live. :) (Of course, this means you can make test purchases, but if you do so, please only select check/money order as the payment option - of course, nothing will be shipped or billed ;)).

Here is the Tailfeathers eMall:

http://www.tiels.net/store/

(For now, since it is not public, it is located at /store...when it becomes live, it will be at tiels.net though.)

All comments, problems, issues, suggestions, etc. are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks! :)

You need to take those monster images and shrink them down.

Check into Mo Pics or something along that line that allows you to have multiple images such as nice tiny thumbnails and then larger images for the Click to enlarge.

Someone on 56k would of left pretty quick waiting on it to load.

That will also save you a lot on bandwidth and bandwidth is what costs ...

I don't know what font you are using in the header and footer for the links, but I find them extremely hard to read and they are very tiny. This is in IE 6 at 1028

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Thanks Linda -- I thought the images were pretty small already but I'm using 1024x768 as my resolution, so they may be a lot bigger under 800x600 (I'm assuming that's what you're using -- if not, I guess the images are just really big! :lol:)

Thanks Deborah -- In the footer, I'm using Century Gothic (for the buttons) and Trebuchet MS (for the links).

Here's what it looks like to me:

footer.jpg

I can't do screen capture because I am at work, but the text looks NOTHING like that on my brower. It is this big and all scrunched together I think the font may not be supported by all browsers.

d

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Hmm...I've never seen a computer without Trebuchet MS or Century Gothic (and it goes to Verdana if you don't have either of those), so I don't think the font is a problem. :?

What browser and text size are you using?

Thanks Linda -- I thought the images were pretty small already but I'm using 1024x768 as my resolution, so they may be a lot bigger under 800x600 (I'm assuming that's what you're using -- if not, I guess the images are just really big!  :lol:)

The big I was referring to was the number of bytes the files are. They are much too big for an ecommerce site. They take too long to download and the way they will display from default.php to product_info.php etc. they will eat up your bandwidth allowance on your site.

God forbid a spider go wild on your site and suck down a few gig ... :shock:

Question: I've wanted to be able to sell CafePress products on the same site as my regular products, but I figured people would get confused by the different checkout systems and needing to go through the process twice - once for the CafePress products, and once for our regular products - AND they'd see charges from 2 different companies. How are you remedying this?

Just curious. I'd be interested in doing it myself is all.

Laura

Question: I've wanted to be able to sell CafePress products on the same site as my regular products, ...
Ooh. Excellent question. I was wondering that myself.

Archived