• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Create Account - FAX

burt

ordinarily we receive Fax orders from customers that have a PO process, business or government

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

We have vendors that still use the FAX for both receiving purchase orders and sending us invoices. Occasionally, a customer will ask that we send them a FAX.

Should osC require a FAX number at time of sign up? No. Should the field still be available? I think so.

Malcolm

@@bruyndoncx

Do you need to collect fax info from the customer at time of sign up ?

no we don't collect as we target consumers

in a B2B situation i think it is quite valid to leave it as an optional field.

With a fax number, you are a bit more certain that the message is received - with email you are less certain because of spam filters

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Should be made at least optional I think with a on/off in admin like for gender etc

Making it optional is probably a good idea....I can still see the need for it in a B2B based business like @@bruyndoncx pointed out.

Dan

It would be good if it could be turned off or on like date of birth. B2B could then turn it on if needed.

Then add another box on the registration page for mobile phone number and keep it separate from the landline number as that may be needed to be used to confirm country of origin if in the Eu and ordering downloads.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

My post was facetious, based on an image I thought funny (stolen from someones Twitter feed).  But it does make sense to make the fax details optional...

What does the `committee` think of @@14steve14 idea regarding collecting both the buyers landline phone number and the buyers mobile phone number ?

Having an optional second number makes sense to me but I don't know that we need to distinguish what type of phone it is....over here its becoming moot and really doesn't make any difference what type of phone it is. Maybe primary and secondary phone number?

Dan

Having an optional second number makes sense to me but I don't know that we need to distinguish what type of phone it is....over here its becoming moot and really doesn't make any difference what type of phone it is. Maybe primary and secondary phone number?

Dan

For those selling downloads in the EU the telephone number can be used to confirm customer location, so its very important to distinguish between the two numbers.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

A lot of people these days (in the US, anyway), never bother to get a landline, and only have a cell phone. (I live so far out in the woods that there is no cell service.) What harm is there in asking for a fax number, so long as it's optional (unless you're doing B2B or something, and even then...)? People have all sorts of telecom options open to them these days, so be flexible in what you accept -- you don't want to lose a customer by insisting that they provide a landline or a fax line, which they don't have. Other than looking it up in a database, you can't tell if a phone number is cell or landline, so I have my doubts as to how useful that would be in determining tax jurisdiction.

A customer may have several 'phone' numbers ...

Home

Work

Cell

FAX

etc ...

Right now, osC has two fields: customer_telephone and customer_fax, both stored in the customers table.

In a perfect world ... 'phone' numbers would be a separate table, with a primary key linking back to the customer_id field. This way, there could be an unlimited number of 'phone' numbers, each with a field saying what each was (home, work, FAX, cell, etc). Another field could be used to indicate if the 'phone' number was still valid.

Whether a 'phone' number (*any* number) should be required is another question. I prefer to require one, but most of my customers are using Paypal Express for checkout, and Paypal isn't passing a phone number back to us.

Malcolm

Archived