Latest News: (loading..)
burt

Addons Creation and Uploading -discussion-

This is an issue that needs to be resolved.  How can we ensure that all addons uploaded are of a suitable quality? 

Another point.  Already I see Bootstrap Addons being added when I expressly requested that all addons for BS go through me prior to upload.  

This issue probably deserves its own thread

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

@@burt

Yes following the threads recently bootstrap addons seem to be very actual every addon I generally use I am converting to bootstrap as I go along

and I guess a lot of other guys !!

Now I did not see your request missed somewhere along the way

"when I expressly requested that all addons for BS go through me prior to ..."

So needs to be more prominent maybe a new thread in Development or osCommerce Online Merchant v2.x  exclusively for Bootstrap

So how to do first I see all my work as beta until verified by a few testers given the nature of bootstrap not only do the addons need to work

(which is a problem we have always had hahah)

They now need to display correctly on various screens (touch devices) which in the BS thread also needed more testers !!

Now best answer I do not know but we do need a thread to discuss and find a solution

We do have a chance now to get rid of crappy addons that do not work and keep the bootstrap clean

Remember the other thread addons that work bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted better to keep the door closed in the first place

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

There is much that can and need to be done in the add ons area, I know there are great plans for this

What we need right now, and we need it asap, is at least a bare minimum of control of what is getting uploaded

Right now anyone can upload anything, even code that will damage peoples stores by deleting the half database and there is no control. People are downloading an addon thinking that it must be somehow approved or at least controlled by "osCommerce", spend hours to install something that don't work and can be happy if their store is still alive after that - frustration remain, and this frustration goes not to the addon uploader, it goes to osCommerce

So we need at least the bare minimum, a team of people that will control

- That there is no damage caused by the addon (e.g. no "drop table products" anywhere)

- That the addon does not cause any obvious php errors, like syntax errors etc

- That there are installation instructions

Once we are at that stage, we can move on , the team could then check

- if the addon actually work, if it does what it promise to do.

- if the coding standards are met

- etc

I'm not talking here about nic and fancy features, like a review system etc, I know this is all planned for the future

For now, today, let's do at least the bare minimum here and protect all that innocent users who copy paste in joy and trust not knowing their future, that doesn't look very bright in case they got the "wrong" addon

What I think it can be useful is to have a rating and review system for the addons, so users can have some info about the quality of the addon

Edited by acidvertigo

How about making the Report button actually work? I once found an addon that had malicious code: it added the author's username and a password to the administrators table. I reported this several times, but nothing was ever done. We need some way to get rid of the bad uploads or this whole thread is meaningless.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I think the problem of addons that do not work is now more acute than previously

Oscommerce is moving forward at mach 2 (680.58 m / s) and the addons area is driven by steam (77.7 m / h)

What about the newbies who try installs and customization disheartened, puzzled, no confidence  when things do not work etc etc ....

To Quote George

"For now, today, let's do at least the bare minimum here and protect all that innocent users who copy paste in joy and trust not knowing their future, that doesn't look very bright in case they got the "wrong" addon"

Regards

Joli

How about making the Report button actually work? I once found an addon that had malicious code: it added the author's username and a password to the administrators table. I reported this several times, but nothing was ever done. We need some way to get rid of the bad uploads or this whole thread is meaningless.

Regards

Jim

Thinking abut this the whole add on area is a security hole if there is no control.

So with BS lets check first simple really

Regards

Joli

Already I see Bootstrap Addons being added when I expressly requested that all addons for BS go through me prior to upload.

Well, see it in a positive way. More and more people are using osC BS (not Bullshit!) and they do what is just natural, they take add-ons and recode them to work with BS. Mostly just changes to the visual part of the Add-on i guess.

Someone once told me, if you upload Add-ons to the Add-ons area then YOU are responsible for the code and support. If you can't do that then better leave it.

That is why I upload mostly small Add-ons in BS or non BS versions in the current support topic and not in the add-ons section. So that i can avoid responsibility.  :blush:  :P  At least for now. I know it is not ideal but better then flood the current Add-ons section with more BS stuff.

I agree with George on this one, we have to somehow filter/check the add-ons before they get uploaded. The only problem that i can think of is the Manpower. Who has the time to check each single add-on?

I would like to see the following things in the Add-ons section;

- Reviews system (already mentioned by many people)

- Archive old add-ons (2.2) (but still offer them for download)

- A lot better search system would be great where someone could refine his search more.

- Only allow "full packages" to be uploaded. (I hate when someone uploads and empty file only to post some code fix!)

I am sure there is more but i just can't remember it now but i guess we all know what needs to be done more or less, right?

Oscommerce is moving forward at mach 2 (680.58 m / s) and the addons area is driven by steam (77.7 m / h)

LMAO! :lol:  excellent comparison!

Edited by Tsimi

There are plans in place to update the addons area, of course there are other things that also need doing, and your osCommerce Team cannot take care of everything immediately.

The idea of an addons testing team is a good one, who is up for volunteering for that?  

Edited by burt

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

An other point is, that we can separate by developer.

There are some people here, long time members, who have proven with good and useful add ons, that they know and support what they do

I don't need to mention them, we all know them

Anything uploaded by them could be excluded by any checking, that leads to the thought of a developer status, that can bee either red or green.

Red developers need to pass the checking by the addon team, green can upload without checking

There are plans in place to update the addons area, of course there are other things that also need doing, and your osCommerce Team cannot take care of everything immediately.

The idea of an addons testing team is a good one, who is up for volunteering for that?  

I would be up for that so if needed I am here

Bootstrap 3 ROCKS!

(or it will if I ever get my head around it lol)

(and I think I have now (w00t) )

If there is going to be a checking system then I believe every contribution needs to be checked, even guru's can make mistakes.

Once we are at that stage, we can move on , the team could then check

- if the addon actually work, if it does what it promise to do.

- if the coding standards are met

Great idea but we need to remember a developer might develop something that works in a different way to the way I/the tester would do it.

What happens if it is a great add-on and it gets sent back to the developer and they wont/don't have time/cant correct it. Does it get lost forever? At least with the current system someone can correct and repost.

I personally hate it when someone says here are the scripts I changed, use a compare program to update yours, but it takes time to write find this replace by this documentation.

Also I suspect, if we start to demand more detailed documetation to describe what an add-on does, it will deter even more potential contributors.

There is already a dearth of documentation for OSC so I do not want to discourage any initiative to improve what is available.

Has anyone seen some documentation for the functions and classes? If you want to use then first you have to find them and in the majority of cases work out what the parameters are for.

I do love the idea of having a demo system for each add-on but I can see it would be a nightmare to administer. Say 500 add-ons, 500 test environments?

What happens when there is a new OSC release, will every add-on have to be installed on a new demo system?

Until we get an automated installation system it looks like a full time job for someone.

Whilst writing this I have thought of a way to automate adding text to files, off to see it it is a goer.

Cheers

G

PS Bearing in mind all the above, a Rating System for add-ons with comments would be a good start.

I would be happy to be part of a team to moderate that and where negative comments are made check if they are justified.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Once I wanted to upload a package with an abundance of built in addons that are legally required in Germany - something like a starter package for users in Germany. And as we have many, many legal regulations in Germany, it was a pretty big package - greater than the maximum allowed upload size.
I got the message that the package must first be approved by whomever before it could be released - I've never heard of it again! Not a 'yes, that's fine' - not a 'what a trash' - simply NOTHING!

I'm afraid that something like that will happen if a general approvel procedure is implemented for each and every addon. I agree with Tsimi that the necessary manpower for this will be a real problem. I'm sure that for now there will be some volunteers for that task. But next week, the one has to do this, the other that - and no one has time to check new addons. And things left undone........
(Apart from the fact that with each new osc release all add-ons had to be tested and approved again. Who should do that? :x )

I would propose to add a new section to the addon area - something like 'Addons approved/recommended by the quality assurance task force' - where you put all addons tested by the addons testing team. But please keep the addon area in general open for unrestricted uploads: Even though there is a lot of scrap, it's however the wealth of open source that many people contribute something and sometimes at the end really good stuff comes out.

Like Tsimi I would really appreciate it if only full packages would be uploaded. It's sometimes a nightmare if you need dozens of downloads to get an actual version of an addon.

I also hate it when people upload packages without installation instructions - with just the "nice" notice one may use a comparison tool to find out where something was installed. :angry:

And finally: A rating system is in principle a good idea. But look at the forum where the 'Like this' rating system exists. If I check the 'Likes' I got I find that around 90% of them come from always the same people - the two dozen people who are more or less regularly active in this forum. The average user comes with his questions and problems. If he has his answer / solution, he disappears  - without giving feedback, without saying thank you, without giving a 'like it'. There is no reason to assume that this would be different for a rating system in the addon area.

J.J.

The main thing is to have a rating and comment section in place as opposed to a to rigorous "approval" system...

The main thing is to have a rating and comment section in place as opposed to a to rigorous "approval" system...

I agree, then I would have posted earlier this week 'watch out - there is a DROP table statement in the sql'

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

and a way to re-categorise existing uploads in the correct category.

will the new planned add-ons site fix these things ?

what is needed to get the new version up-and-running ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I agree, I'm worried an approval system would slow development of addons to a crawl.

Something like @@wHiTeHaT idea would allow development

add-on status : Experimental.

add-on status:  Voted     (means, enough peep d/l it, use it WANT/NEED it).

add-on status:  Verified  (at least 1 TEAM MEMBER installed/tested it, inspected it).

add-on status:  Approved (at least 2 TEAM MEMBERS decide for that status).

Add a public rating system and we would all be way better off...

Even though there is a lot of scrap, it's however the wealth of open source that many people contribute something and sometimes at the end really good stuff comes out.

This is a point, the freedom of uploading anything, like a big pool. finally with the time, and with some luck, something good will come out

We need to make clear here, what the "addon area" is: Is it a playground for people who understand this php stuff, to take the code and develop it further or is it a place where people can download solutions for their store, ready to use?

We are lucky in this point, that the code structure as it is now, demand to open files one by one, so we can at least look at the code before "installing". How would;d things be with add ons ala wordpress? In case of a "bad" addon, you click install, confirm, and say goodbye to your half database. Would we not require some checking system in such a - fictional for now - addon installation system?

I think that we transfer to much of the responsibility - to install or not some addon - to the end user. This here, the oscommerce addon area - is not a secret/closed developer area. It is a open place where people - shop owners - are coming in to get additional solutions for their store

Do they have to be experts in php coding? Do they have to know what "drop table" mean? How much responsibility do the users have and what about osCommerce responsibility to check what is offered on its website? The decision about what to do with the addon area depend on how we answer this question

If you ask me, then add ons are solutions for shop owners, not for php experts. The re are platforms for experimental code in development, coders can use that, no need to use the add ons area for that

To clean up things, as each journey, we need to start doing the first step. The second and third will follow, there are many great ideas posted here, but we can't arrive anywhere if we don't do a simple first step. And this first step is to ensure a bare minimum of safety for the many osCommerce users

Edited by multimixer

To add a bureeucratic system to the add-on area is in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

To provide a step by step guide asking the developer to upload their contribution in a set format with the a template for the documentation would be a good first step but only if it can be accessed from these 2 pages

http://addons.oscommerce.com/

and

http://addons.oscommerce.com/category/new,package

and not hidden away so no one can find it.

The layout used by the payment core products is a good start!!!!

I like the idea of standard documentation content but be aware if you try to enforce that some developers will just not do it and some excellent and some not so excellent work will be lost.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Now everyone likes a nice install text but ... (w00t)  rc2 / 2.3 / 2.3.1 .....etc / 2.3.4 /  2.3.4 bootstrap how to keep up with the install text at most it can only be general and one way or another with complicated addons a compare program is needed.

Regards

Joli

I think that we transfer to much of the responsibility - to install or not some addon - to the end user. This here, the oscommerce addon area - is not a secret/closed developer area. It is a open place where people - shop owners - are coming in to get additional solutions for their store

Do they have to be experts in php coding? Do they have to know what "drop table" mean? How much responsibility do the users have and what about osCommerce responsibility to check what is offered on its website? The decision about what to do with the addon area depend on how we answer this question

If you ask me, then add ons are solutions for shop owners, not for php experts. The re are platforms for experimental code in development, coders can use that, no need to use the add ons area for that