• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Express Checkout - Sales Tax issue

Roaddoctor

Using PayPal Express Checkout and Payments Pro (Direct Payment) v3.0 api 112 on osc 2.3.4

When a customer (not logged in) adds items to the cart and then clicks Express Checkout, they go to the paypal screen to login... all normal.

The problem is SALES TAX is being displayed as part of the order total to every customer, when we don't even know where the shipment is going to yet.... I only assess Sales Tax to Texas.  Why is Sales tax being displayed?

Is this something I missed on the shop side? or a paypal setting is wrong?

Help please

-Dave

Hi Dave..

The totals for guests are based on the default tax and shipping values for the stores configured country. This is then updated at PayPal during the Express Checkout flow if Instant Update is enabled in the Express Checkout module configuration.

Can you enable Instant Update and see if that fixes it for you?

:heart:, osCommerce

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

Thank you for the reply. Instant update is already at true. I changed to false and tested, then back to true and tested. in both cases sales tax is being presented. Here is the site if you wish to see if you can duplicate. I appreciate you looking at this.

-Dave

That is the normal behaviour of the module as it tries to finalize the payment at PayPal during the Express Checkout flow. If the customer goes through with the sale, when automatically returning back to the store, the store will detect that a different total has been calculated and the customer is presented the checkout confirmation page which they must confirm to finalize the sale.

This will be confusing for the customer as the last PayPal button presented is "Pay Now" (to try and finalize the order here). This works wonderfully if Instant Update is enabled and is working on your server (eg, it requires a HTTPS/SSL certificate).

The next update to the module changes the behaviour to finalize the order when returning back to the store (the last PayPal button shown is "Continue", not "Pay Now"). This allows the customer to review their order on the stores checkout confirmation page to finalize.

Here is more information regarding the change of behaviour:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/397563-paypal-express-checkout-flow/

:heart:, osCommerce

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

Thanks for the link. in the interim until v4 arrives, is there a way I can not have the tax show on the initial arrival to the express checkout form?

You said  "The totals for guests are based on the default tax and shipping values for the stores configured country."

I only have a tax set up for the State of Texas, not United States. Should there be a tax zone United States with 0% rate?

just trying to understand. I've had several customers lately call me saying they are being assessed tax when they shouldn't and therefore abandoned their cart. I hate to think how many did not call... :)

Thanks much

-Dave

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

That removes the product and tax breakdown details, but the $total amount passed still includes the tax amount, so probably not a good plan. Thanks though

What is considered the default tax rate for the country if only one rate is set and only for one specific state. Shouldn't it be none or 0?

Edited by Roaddoctor

-Dave