• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4 - Please help!

Gunathar

Hi,

I need some help upgrading from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4.

My store is currently unusable and I don't know how to fix it. I upgraded my server to run a more recent version of PHP and that's when 2.3.3.4 stopped working.

I'm guessing an upgrade to the latest version of osCommerce should fix everything but I find the upgrade installation process extremely unclear and confusing. 

I have not been able to apply the upgrade successfully on my own and I'm now looking for someone with experience to either guide me through the process or simply to do it for me.

I have reset my current installation back to 2.3.3.4 but it is still non-functional.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Chris

Hey Greasemonkey, 

My store is at http://www.bandhayoga.com/catalog/

It seems to look better since downgrading back to 2.3.3.4 but I get errors at checkout and I'm not able to successfully purchase anything. This is one of the errors I'm getting:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php on line 25

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php on line 70

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php:25) in/home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/general.php on line 49

Anyone who can help advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris this looks to be something to do with the version of php your server is running and an out of date shipping module (UPS or USPS maybe?) - which I don't use and don't know anything about. How do "I" know you ask?

By googling this simple tread; oscommerce Deprecated xml_5.php

For an even more detailed search you could use google to search only the oscommerce forum like; oscommerce Deprecated xml_5.php site:www.oscommerce.com/forums

https://www.google.ca/search?q=oscommerce+xml_5.php&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tQ5RVOKCF6rE8gehgoHYDw#q=oscommerce+xml_5.php+site:www.oscommerce.com/forums&safe=off&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb

Here you will find many links to others with similar problems - and likely a solution. If you can't figure it out - then try posting in the support thread for the shipping module you've installed (which added the file to /catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php).

That is a relative simple fix I believe it is the ups shipping contribution may have a file will have a look and get back to you

Regards

joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Thanks joli!

Well the error list is shorter now but I still get this:

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php on line 72

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/xml_5.php:72) in/home3/yogiyou/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/general.php on line 49

I will look into updating my shipping module. thank-you greasemonkey.

Are either of you available to perform an upgrade to 2.3.4 for me?

Sure somebody will help but it is really a nice way to learn not really that hard.

You are in the postion where as far as I can see your site is not heavly modified so you could just overwrite most of the files.

Lets see if that header already sent error disappears if  you get the error fixed you may not need commercial support

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

try changing to (removing &)

$this->parser = xml_parser_create();

can not remember which addon I used :wacko:

That seemed to do it! ... will do some more extensive testing to be sure but so far so good. Thank You Joli!

I still have no made the upgrade to 2.3.4 but if everything is working well now I think I will leave it alone for the time being.

Cheers

My store is currently unusable and I don't know how to fix it. I upgraded my server to run a more recent version of PHP and that's when 2.3.3.4 stopped working.

What version of PHP were you successfully running with, and what did you upgrade to? If you went to something bleeding edge like 5.6 or 5.7 (is that out yet?), it could very well break osC. PHP 5.4 or 5.5 would be considered mainstream and osC 2.3.3.4 and 2.3.4 definitely run fine on those versions. It's quite possible that you have an add-on or custom code with ancient PHP usage (assign by reference, etc.) that breaks with current PHP versions.

I hope you're not running your own server on a PC. That's an engraved invitation to hackers to work you over just good, and a false economy. Any commercial server (with you as a customer) will be running PHP 5.3, 4, or 5 and should have a staff who knows server security.

Archived