• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4

auzStar

Support Thread for the new Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4

Report problems here.

I will monitor this thread and try to answer as many questions as I can.

Feedback and comments appreciated.

Download link to be provided ASAP.

Dom

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Ajax Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category Popular Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Front Page New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Index Nested - Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Modular Category Page for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap)
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
NEW Equal Height Module for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Upcoming Products Modules for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Bootstrap Add-ons created by other members
osCommerce Bootstrap Addons and Code

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Great contribution! Thank you! Having some trouble with the scrolling. I'm running 2.3.1, followed those instructions and triple checked everything. Activated scrolling in admin, set the min scroll number etc.. but I'm still only getting one testimonial that changes on refresh. Maybe I missed something?

Great contribution! Thank you! Having some trouble with the scrolling. I'm running 2.3.1, followed those instructions and triple checked everything. Activated scrolling in admin, set the min scroll number etc.. but I'm still only getting one testimonial that changes on refresh. Maybe I missed something?

Hi Gio,

I assume you've activated enough testimonials in Tools->Testimonials Manager. Needs to be more than the  Minimum number of testimonials before scrolling.

Also confirm that the updated jQuery is working. ie. When you open a product info page and click on the image, the image should open in a popup. 

As mentioned in doco, 2.3.1 was tested in stock standard osCommerce in IE and chrome. Worked OK with the new jQuery files. Has your 2.3.1 been modified? 

Make sure you did put all the jQuery files and folders in the right place.

Make sure javascript is enabled in the browser

What browser are you using?

Dom

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Hi Dom, 

Thanks for the quick reply,  yes I activated 5 testimonials have the min scroll set as 2. Looks like the new jQuery was not working in ie or firefox, I'm getting a 404 error when I click on the product info page image, but it was working in Chrome. As far as I can tell, I placed all the files and folders in the right place, but when I get a chance I'm going to do it over..in the mean time, I reversed the template_top and jQuery file changes back to what they were. I have a custom theme, and have several addons on my 2.3.1 so that may be the issue as well. Thanks for your help!

https://gioculinarystudio.com/oscommerce1/catalog/customer_testimonials.php

Hi Dom, 

Thanks for the quick reply,  yes I activated 5 testimonials have the min scroll set as 2. Looks like the new jQuery was not working in ie or firefox, I'm getting a 404 error when I click on the product info page image, but it was working in Chrome. As far as I can tell, I placed all the files and folders in the right place, but when I get a chance I'm going to do it over..in the mean time, I reversed the template_top and jQuery file changes back to what they were. I have a custom theme, and have several addons on my 2.3.1 so that may be the issue as well. Thanks for your help!

The testimonials look good on your site. Shame the scrollings not working. You just never know what will work or not in different server environments, so many variables.

Keep me posted. In the meantime I'll see if I can sort out what the problem could be.

I'll put out an update soon for the Customer Testimonials page where the users will have an option to expand all Tesimonials at once.

cheers

Dom

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Hi Joli,

I think the migrate is for jQuery ver 2.0. That's why I didn't include jQuery 2.0, in the testimonials for osC 2.3.1, might cause more headaches. I thought using the same version as osc 2.3.4 in 2.3.1 would be less painful.

Thanks

Dom

Gio,

I looked at your source code on your website and noticed you've got multiple instances of jquery files in your original template_top.php.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.6.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/ui/jquery-ui-1.8.6.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/bxGallery/jquery.bxGallery.1.1.min.mod.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-2.1.4.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-2.1.4.pack.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/960gs/1032.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />

this line should be where the jquery-1.4.2.min.js is above (should only have  one of them, the latest)
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.5.1.min.js"></script>

and take this line out because it's duplicated (there is one above)

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/ui/jquery-ui-1.8.6.min.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/custom-theme/jquery-ui-1.8.6.css" />

When following the doco to replace these lines above in your template_top.php, with whats in the doco, make sure that you're replacing the correct lines.

Let me know if you need help.

Look at it further tommorow. It's bedtime in Australia.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Hi Dom,

Jquery migrate is a cure all for jquery conflicts it is not to the best of my knowledge related to any specific jquery versions.

I do not think either it  should  be included in the package  it is just enough  to mention in the thread that it can help in certain cases

I used several times with the 2.3 series although I do notice less now with 2.3.4 version to solve problems with various addons

As you mention above having several jquery versions in template top will confuse the browser and cause possibily unpredictable errors

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Hi Joli,

Sorry, you are correct. jQuery recommend using the migrate tool from jQuery ver 1.9. For some reason I thought it was ver 2.0.

Thanks for your input.

Dom

Gio,

The migrate tool could be an option as suggested by by Joli, but first you need to clean up your template_top.php as mentioned above.

(I didn't need to use migrate in my 2.3.1 test. Hopefully cleaning up your template_top.php might help)

Keep me posted.

Dom

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Awesome! thanks Dom! somewhere in my copying and pasting I must have certainly made some errors. I'm traveling to Italy tomorrow. but once I arrive and have a little down time, I'll work on this and let you know how I make out. Thanks very much for all of your help! 

Gio,

Just thought I'd check the bottom of your site's source code as well to see if any other jQuery related entries, and guess what?

<script https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script src="js/jquery.rs.slideshow.js"></script>
<script src="js/bootstrap.js"></script>

They're probably in your template_bottom.php. Should be in template_top.php above other jQuery entries.

and since 1.7.1 is the later version, these 2 need to be removed from template_top.php.

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.5.1.min.js"></script>
Ultimately, when you try the new jQuery files from the package again you'll be replacing 1.7.1 with the code below, along with the other changes:
<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.11.1.min.js"></script>

Good Luck!

Edited by auzStar

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

The hidden link in my previous post (got created as a link and I can't edit it):

<script https://ajax.googlea...n.js"></script>

contains:

ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js 

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Gio,

Just so you know, I put the 1.7.1 js link that you have in your template_bottom.php in my test osC's 2.3.1 template_bottom.php (while template_top still has

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.11.1.min.js"></script>) and guess what? Scroll stopped. Took it out and it started again.

It thought this might have been the problem. The js link in template_bottom is obviously over riding the later version you're putting in template_top.

So once you have all the correcet entries at the top I'm guessing the scrolling will work.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Have just posted and update for this addon - "Customer Testimonials for osCommerce version 2.3.4 - v1.1"

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9158

2 CHANGES:

1. Have included "expand all" / "collapse all" when viewing the list of customer testimonials in the store

The list of Customer Testimonials in the store previously had to be individually expanded from their collapsed view and vice versa. Now they can all be expanded/collapsed at once using the "expand all" / "collapse all" option at the top.

2. Have changed when the "Write Testimonial" button/link appears

Previously if the "Who may WRITE testimonials?" was set on "Registered Users Only" in admin, visiting customers would not see the "Write Testimonial" button/link unless they were logged in. Now all customers will see the "Write Testimonial" button/link regardless of whether or not they are logged in. This is so that non-account customers will be aware that they can write testimonials, but will be prompted to create an account (or login) when they try to write a testimonial. Non-account customers therefore maybe more inclined then to create account in your store. 

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

• 2 weeks later...

Good point @@burt. Wasn't aware that SEO Header Tags Reloaded already included a testimonial system.

Changes can easily be made though to accomodate this testimonial system, which has many features and is managed and run independant of the review system. 

cheers :thumbsup:

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Thanks for all of your help Dom, I made all the changes and now it works perfectly!

@giomorin

Excellent Gio. Glad you got it working. Looks awesome!

I noticed you've still got multiple instances of jquery files. Needs work........

Anyone interested in seeing this addon in operation (on an osCommerce 2.3.1 site): 

The addon was designed for osC 2.3.4. but with some updated jquery files (as mentioned in the install doco) the "Scrolling Testimonials InfoBox" works OK in osC 2.3.1. 

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

@giomorin

@grandpaj

I posted an update for this addon (v1.2) on 12th Nov, but it's taking a while to appear in the Addon "History".

I've included the update here (attached file). See the upgrade.txt inside for instructions.

It's an update from v1.1, so you need that version installed first.

4 of the original new files from v1.1 are to be replaced and 1 change to an existing file

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE FROM V1.1:

1. Corrected non-critical undefined variables/objects in "Admin->Tools->Testimonials Manager".

2. When admin adds a new testimonial in "Admin->Tools->Testimonials Manager" have changed that this new testimonial now defaults to in-active. Previously defaulted to active.

3. Added protection to some output strings that were missed in the "Scrolling Testimonials InfoBox".

4. Corrected an issue with the "Scrolling Testimonials InfoBox" would not display correctly on the home page if you have the "Modular Front Page" addon installed with the front page scroller active.
5. Slightly improved layout/positioning for reCaptcha in "Write a Testimonial" page.

6. Removed non-user friendly reCaptcha error message from the error messages in "Write a Testimonial" page.

7. Added input protection for reCaptcha POST variables.

8. Have added a "more info" drop down for the "Do's and Don'ts" introduction in the "Write a Testimonial" page.

9. Removed redundant styling in stylesheet.css.

Next project is to create a bootstrap version, since I've had some queries regarding this.

cheers

Upgrade_from_v1.1_to_v1.2.zip

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

• 3 weeks later...

Dom,

Awesome Contribution... kudo's to you.  I had before the upgrade 1 year ago and missed it. It will help bring more business back for sure.

Thanks for all the extra help in adding in the star rating.

Cheers,  Todd

http://www.theskylantern.com/TnT/customer_testimonials.php

• 1 month later...

@@grandpaj

@@giomorin

@@toughmama

FYI. Have uploaded a bootstrap (responsive) version on this add-on if you are interested.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9158

It's for osCommerce 2.3.4 bootstrap version:

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/releases/tag/v2.3.4-GOLD

Have tested, but difficult to cover all scenarios (devices). Let me know if any probs.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

-Stellar- contrib...really nice.  Damn nice documentation as well.

I would like to change one minor thing, if it's not a ridiculously foolish thing to do:  I'd like to allow weblinks to be posted - since posts can be moderated, and anything harmful can be subverted.

Can you direct me in this, or is it a really really bad idea?

@@Supertex

Hi Shawn,

The weblinks can be placed in the Testimonial Description field, but don't appear as an actual link, have to copy and paste because any html code is stripped from it.

Or do you mean creating an extra input field for weblinks?

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons