• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Looking For Testers: New PayPal App

Mobile works too.  However, on customer side, I delayed returning to the site until I saw the IPN land and stock update.  Once I saw those two things, I clicked the "return to site".  But because the purchased item had only been a quantity 1, and IPN set it to 0, I was returned to the cart with the "stocking inventory is lower than your desired quantity" message, rather than checkout success.

And the jquery did affect my template, as the product info page now shows "undefined" beneath the main product image, where the 'extra' images used to be.  May try 1.5.1.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon 

i have this installed on a live shop now.  Needed to click around to get oriented and understand the approach here.   Such a difference, it's possible a user may be a bit confused if they are used to the previous system.  But since OSC users are so adept, maybe not.   :)

Anyway, I ran a transaction test up to the point of payment over on PayPal.  All was good from what I saw.  One thing I noticed was to back out, PayPal was giving the statement:

Return to (then my PP email address)

I mention this as in another shop I have PP express installed and if I recall correctly, at the payment page it says something like 

Return to (Shop Name)

Just a preliminary observation there.

*******************************************************************************************************

Question, heretofore I was using one PP account to accept payments from more than one store.  To do this I had to set up code in PP standard that would generate a unique order ID so there would not be an error from PayPal.

Now with the PP app, how would this affect things to two shop scenario.   Meaning I'd still want to have my one PP business account handle/receive from both OSC shop 1 and OSC shop 2.

********************************************************************************************************

Managing all the PP apps from the PP box is interesting and so convenient.  I installed PP standard from the app, noting one the credentials are entered, that takes care of some of the data needed by PP.  

***********************************************************************************************************

I am going to go through things again, and set see if I can set up sign in with PP here like I have it on another shop.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

The order ID generation interests me too.  I've been working on using date/time invoice numbers for a bit...got it to work great, except with PP.  Client still sees the entry from 'insert_id' as their invoice number when they their transaction in paypal.  I tried a few things, but I didn't want to get carried away before the app was working.  Now I'll have to figure out how to send my datetime invoice number as the Paypal "invoice".  I'd be interested in what you had to do to work that out.

Mobile works too.  However, on customer side, I delayed returning to the site until I saw the IPN land and stock update.  Once I saw those two things, I clicked the "return to site".  But because the purchased item had only been a quantity 1, and IPN set it to 0, I was returned to the cart with the "stocking inventory is lower than your desired quantity" message, rather than checkout success.

Great catch! Will look into this tomorrow.

:heart:, osCommerce

Anyway, I ran a transaction test up to the point of payment over on PayPal.  All was good from what I saw.  One thing I noticed was to back out, PayPal was giving the statement:

Return to (then my PP email address)

I mention this as in another shop I have PP express installed and if I recall correctly, at the payment page it says something like 

Return to (Shop Name)

The maximum length of the return to store button title is 60 characters (which includes the "Return to" string and the store name). If the whole string is longer than 60 characters, the default PayPal button title is used which is generated from your PayPal account settings. You should be able to change the e-mail address to your business name in your PayPal account settings.

Question, heretofore I was using one PP account to accept payments from more than one store.  To do this I had to set up code in PP standard that would generate a unique order ID so there would not be an error from PayPal.

Now with the PP app, how would this affect things to two shop scenario.   Meaning I'd still want to have my one PP business account handle/receive from both OSC shop 1 and OSC shop 2.

With the online update feature it is not recommended to edit any of the App files otherwise they may be overwritten the next time an online update is performed. A manual update is possible if custom code changes need to be applied.

The following options are possible:

1) Increase the MySQL auto increment value for the orders table (PayPal allows a maximum 127 characters to be used for the invoice), or

2) Allow the invoice number sent to PayPal to be prefixed

Option 2 seems to be the best solution and will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

I just looked at updating the javascript code to support earlier jQuery versions however using features first introduced in jQuery v1.5 (from 2011) allows a safer online update routine to be performed.

The next update to the App will display a notice if jQuery < 1.5 is used.

The maximum length of the return to store button title is 60 characters (which includes the "Return to" string and the store name). If the whole string is longer than 60 characters, the default PayPal button title is used which is generated fruom yor PayPal account settings. You should be able to change the e-mail address to your business name in your PayPal account settings.

The string of "Cancel and return to (shop name) totals 45 characters.  I tried putting the shop name in the email address which caused an error message when going through the checkout.  PayPal said there was an error in the sellers address. So FYI on that.

**************************************************************************************************************

I was able to set up Log In with PP successfully through the app.   Checking  info from my other PP account (that I used to sign on with), all info looked good, name, address, etc..   Ran a partial checkout on that information and it got me to the point on the PP site I had to commit to pay.  So all good there.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

The string of "Cancel and return to (shop name) totals 45 characters.  I tried putting the shop name in the email address which caused an error message when going through the checkout.  PayPal said there was an error in the sellers address. So FYI on that.

I was referring to your actual PayPal account settings at PayPal, not the PayPal App configuration parameters :)

Try looking around PayPal -> Profile Settings -> Business Information -> Business Name

The default value for the button title is:

Back to STORE_NAME
That's for the last button shown after payment at PayPal has been made.

The "Cancel and return to" link title is not configurable and uses your PayPal Account Profile settings.

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

I was referring to your actual PayPal account settings at PayPal, not the PayPal App configuration parameters :)

Try looking around PayPal -> Profile Settings -> Business Information -> Business Name

Thanks for the clarification.  In my PP account the Business Name has been set to "My Shopname" and with previous versions of PP standard that is what would appear on the PayPal page where the customer chooses the method to pay.  Meaning it would say Cancel and return to My Shopname regardless of which osCommerce site was using this particular PayPal account.

It's been that way for years and to this point I don't know it's been a concern to any customers.

However, and not to complicate things,  I have a 2.3.4 shop with PP Express installed (Not the App Version) and there it will say Cancel and Return to My Wonderful Shop, where My Wonderful Shop is actually the osCommerce given shop name.   This occurs even though the PayPal account for the My Wonderful Shop site is set to the Business name of My Shopname.

Maybe overall not a big deal but what occurs with Express as above seems cleaner and might be less confusing to a customer.

@@altoid Just to make sure, are you perhaps mixing your PayPal Sandbox account profile settings with your live account settings?

Not sure 100% where you mean, but in the PayPal app I've only entered live settings.  Meaning API username, API password and API Signature.  The Sandbox credentials are blank

@@altoid It might also be that the business name is only shown for PayPal Business Accounts, and an e-mail address is shown for PayPal Personal/Premiere Accounts.

The PP account used for the shops is a business acct.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

The shop that I use PP Express is does not have the PayPal App update. It is a 2.3.4 shop

Version: 3.0 (online status) icon_info.gif API Version: 112

The shop that does have the PayPal App installed is using PayPal standard.

If you'd like I can try to get PP Express installed in the shop with PayPal App and see what happens.

The target date for releasing the App publicly is this coming Monday (the 8th)! The documentation is just about ready too which can be previewed at:

http://library.oscommerce.com/Package&en&paypal&oscom23

(the pages from Balance onwards are still being worked on)

@@Harald Ponce de Leon great news... Looking forward to giving it a try.

Can you say how (or if) the new PP app address the issues "some" have reported - in reference to shipping and taxes rates not forwarding to PP Express (and or shipping rates changing from the customers chosen option to cheapest option and then retuning to checkout_confirmation)?

After having an issue with the (standard) version that came with the installation of 2.3.4 (of an order with more than 100 items, only the first 99 are sent to Paypal, only paying the first 99 lines and giving a discrepancy between ordered and paid) I searched for a solution and came across this update. Initial installation of 4.0 goes without a problem but then I get the message that there are 2 updates available (4.016 and 4.027). After trying to  apply the update, I get an error:

Error: Could not apply v4.016!

Could not start the procedure to apply the update. Please try again.

The log shows no entries at all. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Léon

Took a quick look through the documentation and became aware of some things I missed before.   Tried retrieving the credentials.  I had manually entered live credentials but did a retrieve just to make sure.  All was good.

Then retrieved sandbox credentials and that worked fine.  Very handy for the shop owner, saving having to go to the actual PP account and troll around to find this info.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doing a database management; admin>tools>database tables, I see the table created for the log oscom_app_paypal_log is latin1_swedish_ci

I'll just use the tool to convert that to utf8_unicode_ci

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looking at the PayPal app log I see my eBay sales are showing there.  Which brings to thought again that it would be great to use the same PP business account on multiple osC shops all using the PayPal App.

No osCommerce shop sales yet using the app.  (Working on SEO is ongoing)  :-

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I presume the documentation will have a section that shows what the action icons in the log mean to the user.  Such as APP, PS, etc.

HPDL:

The admin feature to apply refunds...does the store invoice reflect this?  As in, report totals generated by the site will be accurate? How these advanced features actually integrate is unclear to me.  I currently have Order Editor for 2.3 installed, but I assume the PP app features rely on something else?

After having an issue with the (standard) version that came with the installation of 2.3.4 (of an order with more than 100 items, only the first 99 are sent to Paypal, only paying the first 99 lines and giving a discrepancy between ordered and paid) I searched for a solution and came across this update.

This will be looked into in a future update of the App.

Initial installation of 4.0 goes without a problem but then I get the message that there are 2 updates available (4.016 and 4.027). After trying to  apply the update, I get an error:

Error: Could not apply v4.016!

Could not start the procedure to apply the update. Please try again.

The log shows no entries at all. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

So it downloads the update package successfully but stops when it tries to apply the update? Can you provide more information of your webserver such as operating system, PHP version, and your browser?

If no log file is created in catalog/includes/apps/paypal/work/ is anything reported to the browser via its developer tools javascript console?