• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ultimate SEO URLs with non English characters not working

mamalos

Hi all!

I am very new to osCommerce (I have never used it before) and I need to host an oScommerce installation (which was/is-still hosted elsewhere) on one of my vps'.

I managed to migrate it to my machine, and everything seems to work fine except from SEO URLs. The site is in Greek, and slugs contain Greek characters. When I follow a url containing such a slug, I get a "The requested URL bad-characters.html was not found on this server" error from apache. Of course, the site works just fine if I disable SEO URLs, but it would be nicer for me to migrate it exactly the way it was.

Most probably it seems to be a misconfiguration on my apache installation (2.4.x, but I experienced the same problem when I used 2.2.x as well), and from a little googling I was unable to find an answer yet. Does anybody know what I have to do in order for it to work properly?

I am sorry to say that I have no idea what my oScommerce version is, since the PROJECT_VERSION has been altered by the company that created the site and contains their version... The only thing I know is that the latest plugins seem to be from 2008. Nevertheless, it seems to me that my question is unrelated to oScommerce version whereas it's more related to apache configuration and/or encodings.

Thanks again for any help and for your time!

Please read the documentation of addons, in the case of Ultimate SEO URL has a clarification for characters that are not so common, works perfectly in most languages ​​....

It's just a matter of reading the complete documentation.

greetings

First of all thank you both for your answers and sorry for my delayed response!

@@quetevendo, @@multimixer: Yes, the site is using Ultimate SEO URLs, sorry for not mentioning it, but I didn't know it was two of them. As I have mentioned, I am totally new to osCommerce and I am just trying to host an already confiugred installation.

@@quetevendo: I have not changed the site's existing configuration which is working just fine on the current server. I am unable to run it correctly on my server. If you have a link to the place of the documentation I should read, please provide it. Otherwise, instructing people to read the whole documentation of something before submitting their post is quite obvious. I looked (not read it thoroughly) at the documentation and the only relevant part I found was the one mentioning "special character conversions ", which is not my case, since the site works without it on its original location.

@@George: I see your url, and this is how the site works on its original location. But how is it possible to achieve the same behaviour on my server as well?

Thank you again for your time and help!

Yes, the site is using Ultimate SEO URLs, sorry for not mentioning it, but I didn't know it was two of them.

Still not clear what exactly you use, is it the one by FWR media or by Jack_mcs ? Maybe you post the link to the add-on

I see your url, and this is how the site works on its original location. But how is it possible to achieve the same behaviour on my server as well?

Not sure what the "original location" is? Does it work like this for you on one server and now you want to transfer the site to an other server where it doesn't work?

The url that I posted is just a example website, not any "original", I used there USU5 by FWR media. Do you have the same?

@@mamalos Url's can only be in ASCII format, meaning they can't have accented characters. They can be tricked into having them by encoding the characters but that is not recommended. The best solution is to use the conversion option in the settings for the rewriter.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I found a seo.class.php which contains the following:

* @package Ultimate-SEO-URLs
 * @[member=Link] http://www.oscommerce-freelancers.com/ osCommerce-Freelancers
 * @[member=copyright] Copyright 2005, Bobby Easland 
 * @[member=author] Bobby Easland 
 * @filesource

@@George: Sorry for being unable to write it clearly, but yes you got it :). It works on the previous server, I copy the site on my server and it stops working. On the previous site, the URLs were just like the ones you have in your example. 

I have a warning in php.log that could be related to it:

[24-Oct-2014 20:49:59 Europe/Athens] PHP Warning:  call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls' not found or invalid function name in /path/to/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1415

but I am not sure, since when I move the mouse over the link the URL is shown correctly on the browser's status bar. When I click on it I get:

Not Found

The requested URL /unisex-γυαλιά-c-46.html was not found on this server.

Thank you all again for your time and help!