• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hollywood Style

GLWalker

http://www.hollywoodbaskets.com

This project is build on the latest osCommerce Bootstrap community build. This project was an update to one I previously built on osCommerce 2.3.1. The look is basically the same, but I think it came out a bit smoother being it's second build.

Being fully responsive from the start, a few tweaks were done to fit everything together for a bit smoother mobile view.

The navbar has been slightly changed to use bootstraps nav-justified class, and some round top corners added to the li & li-a elements giving it the look of a "tabbed interface". The category class that ships with this version has been extended to output a list of categories inside the nav menu's xs view. This keeps the overhead down as it is still running off of the same output with no extra queries.

Left and right columns are completely hidden in xs view, there's plenty of content on page without them, and thanks to the footer content modules, any important information can still be displayed.

The product listing has a minor change in presentation. By default it would load in list view, but a new key to the module allows for the admin to set which view will load by default.

The products social bookmarks have been reworked to use very simple html share urls. It was to avoid the inefficient javascript some try to load by default. We don't get to see the share counts anymore, but in this case its a  good tradeoff in favor of design.

The checkout/shopping cart pages have been reworked just a bit to not load the left and right column and instead load a column specific to information that is relevant to the checkout process - confidence icons, login form, steps for checkout instruction. The checkout itself uses a consolidated page that consist of the checkout_shipping and checkout_payment. The store does do local delivery, so a very useful datepicker was integrated with the bootstrap datepicker. In addition to a CSV shipping module that pulls rates per zip code entered. Some slight modification restricts load to only the postal codes listed in the CSV file.

Content modules have been built for the index and product info pages.

Other than that there was the addition of information pages unlimited, seo urls, image thumbnails, and many small style tweaks all over the place.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Smooth B)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

That looks really good. Nice layout that scales reasonably well from a large screen (full screen 1080p) to as narrow as I want to go.

Testing it in Firefox 33.0 on Linux, there is an encoding issue with special characters. For example, on this page http://www.hollywoodbaskets.com/cristal-champagne-and-godiva-gift-set-p-442.html I see Prestige Cuv?e, which does not entice me to spend $375.00.

In Firefox on Android 4.4.2 the menu is unusable -- it either closes before I can chose a category or plain refuses to open a subcategory. I gave up after several tries.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@kymation Thanks for letting me know about the menu issues. Can you confirm if it happens with the "My Account" dropdown as well.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

On my phone the My Account submenu opens, but touching any of the items in that submenu just closes the submenu. The Categories submenu does the same thing.

Regards

Jim

15" screen fine (wide view) in kindle is fine  change to 9"  links do not work they do not appear to be active

seen this error in firebug probably something different

ReferenceError: $ is not defined

var login_modules_total = $('#loginModules .contentContainer').length;

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@joli1811  That could very well be the problem. The error message is saying that jQuery has not been loaded before that jQuery script is run. Perhaps the small page format menu is loading before jQuery, so some of the jQuery functions don't work.

Regards

Jim

@@kymation

Nice explaination  into my bookmark (call the ball a maverick) haha :thumbsup:

Just starting with bootstrap so nice to understand read a few times about loading in template_top.php and footer.php /(template_bottom.php)

Guess something to watch.

Thanks

Joli

The "Cuv?e" problem is that someone edited the text (inserting an accented character) using Latin-1 encoding, and then you're trying to display it on a UTF-8 encoded page. Was this text imported from an older, Latin-1 osC installation, or was it edited on a PC and cut-and-pasted into osC? You'll need to find all such occurrences, and edit the text in either osC product editing or with phpMyAdmin, and re-enter the offending characters in UTF-8 mode.

Bit off topic but very  interesting at the minute is

http://ckeditor.com/addons/ui

using now  the Bootstrap Glyphicon nice keeping the page design uniform  using ckeditor with information pages unlimited

(or any ck page) for inline styling

have to use the full site url in /ckeditor/config.js

example: config.contentsCss = 'http://www.xxxx.com/xxx/admin/ext/ckeditor/plugins/glyphicons/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.css';

Just experimenting but think it has a lot of possibilties for page design

example --> yellow arrows

now just starting with bootstrap so not much idea just wanted to mention

Regards

Joli

Before spending a lot of time chasing down menu problems, etc., I would fix the character encoding issues. It's possible that invalid UTF-8 characters could be breaking menus, etc., although being a regular ? instead of ?-in-black-diamond, it may be choking on it way back at the database. You may be able to search HTML pages or even in phpMyAdmin on '?' text.

By the way, you can't enter accented characters with the Alt-nnn trick. That's the wrong encoding (Latin-1). If you can figure out the multibyte UTF-8 codes, you might be able to enter the individual bytes (2 per character), or you can see if there is a glass keyboard that will let you enter the proper characters. Worst case, you may be able to enter the text in Word and then cut-and-paste into osC or phpMyAdmin (Word usually offers a UTF-8 copy for the clipboard, so it may work).

Hi all,

Im not sure how old the description came from, where the characters got blotched up at, the original site I did was a clean copy from 2.3.1 which was then updated with descriptions by a third party. So everything should have been utf-8, but the descriptions possibly could have been existing and copied from another encoding as the domain is very old and has seen a few different structures through the years.

And I have definitely spotted some Word paste jobs going on. Arrr- you can spot that mark up from a mile away.

Non the less I'll fix if for them as it leaves the job looking sloppy on my end and its just not right to flood the web with markup that does not belong.

I believe I solved the menu issue - @ sm and xs view I had the dropdown open set to display as static, I changed it to relative and added a height of auto, seems to work well on my phone now.

Thank again for the input everyone. I will be releasing the menu code in a post in the dev forum for the community version.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Im not sure how old the description came from, where the characters got blotched up at, the original site I did was a clean copy from 2.3.1 which was then updated with descriptions by a third party. So everything should have been utf-8, but the descriptions possibly could have been existing and copied from another encoding as the domain is very old and has seen a few different structures through the years.

And I have definitely spotted some Word paste jobs going on. Arrr- you can spot that mark up from a mile away.

Non the less I'll fix if for them as it leaves the job looking sloppy on my end and its just not right to flood the web with markup that does not belong.

I believe I solved the menu issue - @ sm and xs view I had the dropdown open set to display as static, I changed it to relative and added a height of auto, seems to work well on my phone now.

Thank again for the input everyone. I will be releasing the menu code in a post in the dev forum for the community version.

hi

whats the best thumbnailer to use with bootstrap oscommerce?

previously a lot of people advised to use Kissit thumbnailer.

is that stll the case? or is there better?

@@GLWalker

On your site, when using the Safari browser on an iPad, I am seeing the same problem that I have mentioned in several other threads today ...

When you click on the 'My Account' button, the drop-down box is mostly hidden behind the Hello Guest bar, the Search bar, and the text in the body of the screen.

Malcolm

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived