• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sold more then in stock

kvadre

Hi

Recently I had a product with 197 in stock, the product was sold out on 20 min, after this the stock was 0 in the admin.

After adding all the invoices I have sold 210.

The system is set to not allow checkout with negativ stock.

Any idea to why this has happened.

/Jesper

it could be happen with paralell checkouts. I suggest that you no sell product on one self or offer in 1 quantity/order. The best for this situation the auction and not a direct sell.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I used to have a similar problem when some payments made using paypal were not recorded correctly when the customer did not return to the store after payment. In these cases the stock level was not reduced and the sale was not finalised. I have noticed now that when the sale is not completed there is a green tick missing on the admin orders page. If I notice this I then go and manually ammend the stock levels. I dio use paypal standard, and this may be different with other payment processors.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

always would be better to impound quantity from stock when checkout used and finaly allow the admin to unlock the order conflicts by hand but this should be the golden rule for every payment methods and not as it works in paypal when use the IPN now.

The configuration consists an important constant like

STOCK_ALLOW_CHECKOUT

but the payment's checkout process logic ignores the option when a lot of custumers do shopping by paralell between little time differencies.

Paypal IPN call back is coming after checkout but the paypal pay could be more seconds when other customers are doing the same.
The IPN process does stock fix later but arrives only after the payment.

well, the logic is working bad.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I used to have a similar problem when some payments made using paypal were not recorded correctly when the customer did not return to the store after payment. In these cases the stock level was not reduced and the sale was not finalised.

Failure to return to the store after making an offsite payment seems to be a very common complaint. Since it requires explicit action by the customer to return to the store, it's easy to overlook this step. If nothing can be done to force a return from the payment processor, I can think of at least two partial solutions:

1. A big obvious hard to miss reminder when you go offsite -- maybe go first to a page that reminds the customer that they need to do "X, Y, Z" after making the payment, or the order will fail. Only by acknowledging this warning can the customer get through to the payment site.

2. A watchdog timer waiting for whatever verification the payment site is supposed to send back. Or, it may be looking for the expected store page to be active within a certain time. If it times out, send an email to the store administrator telling them that a payment may have been processed, but the order was not completed. Might as well cc the email to the customer, to let them know they failed to follow instructions.

If stock levels are not reduced when the item is put in the cart, that can cause the original problem. However, reducing stock levels when an item is put in the cart runs the risk that the cart is abandoned and shoppers see you as out of stock -- you need a robust watchdog timer that senses cart inactivity and returns stock to the shelves. After some further period, the cart record can be cleared and the shopper has to start over (until then, the store can try to restock the cart).

Archived