• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

reselling a modified item with a logo on it

rmhayes1954

is there any problem (not including warrantee) with buying an item with a team logo, modifying the item, then selling it? I would think the logo license fee has already been paid by the original manufacturer and my resale would not require an additional license. For example, buy an OSU towel, make it into a hat, and resell.

Well... you'd think so, but I've heard of all sorts of people having trouble selling things on the "gray market". Especially if there's a trademark (logo) on the merchandise, the owner may want to keep very tight control over who can sell the products, and how they are marketed. They have a legitimate interest in maximizing end customer satisfaction with both the product and the shopping experience, and have the right to control how any trademark is used. They also have licensed others to make and sell the product, and may very well act to prevent the entry of competitors. Whether that's playing "fair" is debatable, but be prepared to defend yourself against charges of selling counterfeit goods and/or trademark infringement.

If you really want to do this, it might be more remunerative for you to directly license the logo, and apply it to quality merchandise. You cut out the overhead of buying OSU-logoed towels at retail, the waste of converting them, and you're in the good graces of OSU. Think about it.

Seen others do stuff similar, get away with it........seen others do it, and get caught.  If you are selling online, you will get caught, and they will send you a nasty letter to cease and desist, or you will get sued, etc. 

Legal answer below on this. 

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do-i-need-a-collegiate-license-to-buy-and-resell-n-1646294.html

you said... "modifying the ITEM" , not the logo ... right?

No one can stop me from selling used mercedesses.

No one can stop you from selling "modifications" , regardless on what item it is.(you USED the initial product)

But tell you sell a "modificated" item, and NOT the item as a whole owned by you.

BUT , you canot put a shiny button an a "Lacoste shirt" and sell it as new items.

Or put chanel parfume in another bottle.

That would be a no go.

Actually not quite correct even selling a used branded item can create problems  with the brand and you may have to prove of purchase (invoice) etc ??

Now truth is you can get away with it for about a year average max then your payment module will close your account or the hosting provider

If you are accused it is up to you to prove you are correct this can be very expensive and beyond the resources of many shops.

Right or wrong that is how it works

The better your SEO is and the higher you are placed in the search results means you will be taken down quicker

Regards

joli

As regards perfume there are actually a few disputes going on with German law and Europe wow selling testers just google

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Archived