• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Guide: converting from OSC v2.2 to v2.3x, for dummies (requires phpMyAdmin)

davea0511

I just made a little guide geared for "dummies" like me, with lots of annotated screen grabs.

Since it is for "dummies" I'm assuming you have and are using phpMyAdmin, and that you do not know much about it.  If you don't have it already then download it and install it, especially if you're an SQL noob.  It has saved my life more times than I can count, and it's a great way to learn mySql since most of the stuff it does it shows you the mySql in the background while it does it (phpMyAdmin is just a front end for mySQL). 

Here's the tutorial: http://goo.gl/cP08Ds

If anyone wants to modify the content to do this by hand (no phpMyAdmin), then please be my guest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello davea0511,

I've been attempting to import the sql file as instructed in Step 3 but keep getting the following error:

• #1061 - Duplicate key name 'idx_banners_group'

Any help you can give would be sincerely appreciated.

All the Best,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hello davea0511,

I've been attempting to import the sql file as instructed in Step 3 but keep getting the following error:

• #1061 - Duplicate key name 'idx_banners_group'

Any help you can give would be sincerely appreciated.

All the Best,

Michael

This happened because one of the tables you imported already had data ... ie. you have to empty the new tables completely of data before you import anything from the old database into them. See step 8.a. in the guide.

@@oscarfellini  That error means that you are trying to create an index on a database table where that index already exists. You need to remove the line that creates the index named idx_banners_group from the SQL, or delete that index from the table and let the SQL recreate it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Big thanks for this topic. I had been searching for something like this for hours.

Here's some keywords that might help the next person searching:

upgrade database
update database
upgrading database
updating database
upgradeing database
updateing database

The doc file references this add on that gets your database up to date using SQL queries
http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731
It will take your database from version 2.2MS2 to 2.3.3

Then see this page: http://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes
for step by step instructions to upgrade your cart to the latest version (or version you plan on using). Do a search on each page for "database" or "SQL" to see if there are any SQL queries on that step.

If you are switching to a new server or using a separate testing server, I recommend making an SQL backup of your database and then search through that SQL dump for your website name to see if anything references the old site or database. I had a few absolute links in mine for whatever reason.

Don't forget to change configure.php files in both catalog AND admin to point to new / testing server database as needed. Otherwise the new / testing site will be making changes on the old LIVE database!!!!!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Archived