• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Standard - Could not verify the PayPal transaction. Please try again.

''B''

I completed an order and closed out the browser without returning back to the website.

The same issue is still happening...

In the order details over at the admin panel, it says "No Order History Available" under the Date Added, Customer Notified, Status, and Comments column headers.

The product is not being removed from the website or shopping cart. It's not being logged as an order in my account.

The only thing being received via email is the Paypal receipt. No store receipt received.

It's been more than 15 minutes since I placed the order. I waited to see if there was a delay in IPN notification. But nothing so far.

Harald, several days ago I went into my friend's PayPal account and generated an API certificate. I had meant to use it as well as generate the other settings for the private key, (site) public certificate, and Certificate I.D.

But 1) I wanted to first test the Paypal module without all those settings.

And 2) I'm not entirely sure those settings are needed.

So my question is this... the fact that I have an unused Paypal certificate sitting over in my friend's Paypal account wouldn't be a factor in why the IPN isn't working properly, would it?

I'm probably grasping at straws, but I just want to double check. Some of this stuff is foreign to me hence the question.

That depends on your PayPal Account settings as it's possible to block payments that aren't encrypted. If this hasn't been set then you can continue to process unencrypted payments.

Regarding the IPN issue, enter your email address in the Send Debug E-Mail parameter and paste the result of the transaction here that you receive per email. Be sure to clear out any personal sensitive information.

:heart:, osCommerce

No. Nothing has been set up over at Paypal to block unencrypted payments. I double checked to make sure and that setting is set to Off.

My email address has been in the module Debug Email Address field this entire time. The only time I ever received a debug email was when I had the issue with "Could not verify the PayPal transaction. Please try again" issue.

I've never received a debug email for the IPN issue. I checked my spam folder just to be sure.

The debug email for the other issue can be seen in the first post of this thread, though it's not likely to be helpful since it was for the other issue.

Edited by ''B''

I don't know what the problem is. Both payment module and IPN file use the same code to verify the transaction so if it passes when the customer returns back to the store, the IPN should pass and verify the transaction as well.

If the IPN can't verify the transaction you should receive an e-mail with the result of the transaction.

Can you check in your webserver and php error log files if any errors are being logged there?

If you want the customer to automatically return to your store, enable Auto Return in your PayPal Account and enter the following url:

https://your-server/shop/checkout_process.php

If you have SSL, use the HTTPS link. The path must obviously also be changed to the location of your checkout_process.php file.

Please note that this will also affect payments made on other websites that will then return to the specified URL. Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald, over on the web server, there were no error logs. Over at cPanel I downloaded some .gz that contain a file that logs what appears to be everything that happens on the website. I found one of my transactions... this particular transaction was one that I finished all the way through by clicking the button over at Paypal to go back to the shop website. I've included the log below, but I eliminated the lines that have to do with GETS for images, jquery, etc. The capital X's before each line are my IP address. Also, I changed the admin folder name in the folder paths to adminFolder. I don't know if that was necessarry, but thought it would be best to proect my friend's admin folder name.

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:32:54 -0400] "GET /checkout_shipping.php HTTP/1.1" 200 18075 "http://www.goodwriterssales.com/shopping_cart.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:33:00 -0400] "POST /checkout_shipping.php HTTP/1.1" 302 - "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/checkout_shipping.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:33:00 -0400] "GET /checkout_payment.php HTTP/1.1" 200 19914 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/checkout_shipping.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1;

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:33:03 -0400] "POST /checkout_confirmation.php HTTP/1.1" 200 21018 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/checkout_payment.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:34:02 -0400] "POST /checkout_process.php HTTP/1.1" 302 - "https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=777BRBvoiAkEM3qeSCR16Gv5C9pJyMF7CFXYeWQdAG0eCKAVsYq1uGC_9uC&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b61f737ba21b08198a0586321b47f5ae7b54ee269d9200b8b" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:34:05 -0400] "GET /checkout_success.php HTTP/1.1" 200 14941 "https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=777BRBvoiAkEM3qeSCR16Gv5C9pJyMF7CFXYeWQdAG0eCKAVsYq1uGC_9uC&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b61f737ba21b08198a0586321b47f5ae7b54ee269d9200b8b" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:34:32 -0400] "GET /adminFolder/orders.php HTTP/1.1" 200 53571 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/adminFolder/categories.php?cPath=3_15&pID=791" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:34:35 -0400] "GET /adminFolder/orders.php?page=1&oID=662&action=edit HTTP/1.1" 200 20392 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/adminFolder/orders.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:35:21 -0400] "GET /adminFolder/orders.php?page=1&oID=662&action=edit HTTP/1.1" 200 20392 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/adminFolder/orders.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

XX.XXX.XX.XXX - - [07/Aug/2014:14:38:43 -0400] "GET /adminFolder/orders.php?page=1&oID=662&action=edit HTTP/1.1" 200 20392 "https://www.goodwriterssales.com/adminFolder/orders.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

Edited by ''B''

In the log I also looked at one of the orders where I closed the browser at the end of the Paypal transaction (therefore not returning back to the shop website). The log was much like the above except it ends at checkout_confirmation.php

checkout_process, checkout_success.php, and orders.php never runs.

One interesting thing to note is that standard_ipn.php is never seen in the logs. Or maybe it doesn't get logged even if things are working correctly?

One more thing, in the cPanel there's an Error Log area that is supposed to log the last 300 errors. I don't think it's working properly because each time I look at it, it only logs right around the last five messages. The few messages I've seen don't make me raise my eyebrow. But maybe I need to look at it right around the time I complete an order in order to see something useful.

This is what should be logged for the order status history:

1) PayPal [Transactions]: PayPal Verified [Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXX; Pending (Verified; $38.99); authorization]
2) Pending:
3) PayPal [Transactions]: PayPal IPN Verified [Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXX; Pending (Verified; $38.99); authorization]

1) = Customer returning back to store

2) = Order set to specified order status level

3) = PayPal IPN

If the customer doesn't return back to the store, this is what is logged:

1) PayPal [Transactions]: PayPal IPN Verified [Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXX; Pending (Verified; $38.99); authorization]

1) = PayPal IPN; Order status level is simultaneously set to specified order status level (ie, Pending)

Here is the matching web server access log record:

173.0.82.126 - - [08/Aug/2014:10:23:33 +0200] "POST /demo/2/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.0" 200 0 "-" "PayPal IPN ( https://www.paypal.com/ipn )"

You should also be seeing something similar in your access logs.

In all the test orders I've placed, IPN Verified has never shown up in the order history in the admin panel.

There are no entries in either the SSL or non-SSL access logs regarding PayPal IPN.

I can't imagine what this could be. If you have no other suggestions, then maybe I should go over to my friend's Paypal account and enter both a return URL and the IPN notification URL, then do a test order? I just don't know what else to do at this point.

She does not have any other websites, but I think she does sell on Ebay. So will those settings affect Ebay - meaning, when someone makes an Ebay purchase, will they be returned to the success page at her website?

In the PayPal Account settings used for our demo site, the IPN settings are disabled so there isn't a need to enable it manually.

You mentioned previously that PayPal notified you of IPN errors - are you still getting these notifications?

If you don't see the IPN request coming in in your web server access logs, perhaps this is why:

Once you or your service provider fix this problem, you or your service provider can resend the failed messages from the IPN History page. If this problem continues, PayPal may disable the IPN feature for your account.

Maybe you need to contact them and state that the problem has been fixed?

PayPal has a tool that can send a test IPN to your server. It's available at:

https://developer.paypal.com

Applications -> IPN Simulator

The IPN Handler URL is in the form of:

https://your-server/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php

and choose Transaction Type: Cart Checkout.

This is ofcourse a bogus IPN - if you have your email address entered in the module configuration page (Send Debug E-Mail) you should receive an email with the parameters of the test IPN request. You should also see this request in your web server access log.

Okay. Thanks Harald. I'll try it.

I contacted my friend and she said she has received no further emails from Paypal. The Paypal help files say that if IPN is to be disabled, they will send an email regarding deactivation. She's received no such email - only the two that said Paypal may disable the IPN feature.

Okay, I tried it out and at the top of the simulator page it said, "IPN sent successfully".

Below are the Paypal entries from the cPanel access logs. I honestly don’t understand what the heck could possibly be wrong. As you can see, the standard_ipn.php gets and posts just fine in the sandbox. How is it possible that it won’t work on a live site? ***bangs head in frustration***

xx.xxx.xx.xxx - - [08/Aug/2014:16:33:27 -0400] "GET /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

xx.xxx.xx.xxx - - [08/Aug/2014:16:34:06 -0400] "GET /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36"

173.0.81.1 - - [08/Aug/2014:16:34:23 -0400] "POST /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "PayPal Sandbox"

I'm not sure if you wanted to see my debug email, but here it is:

$HTTP_POST_VARS:

Array
(
[residence_country] => US
[invoice] => abc1234
[address_city] => San Jose
[first_name] => John
[payer_id] => TESTBUYERID01
[mc_fee] => 0.44
[txn_id] => 955906928
[receiver_email] => [email protected]
[custom] => xyz123
[payment_date] => 13:32:58 8 Aug 2014 PDT
[address_country_code] => US
[address_zip] => 95131
[item_name1] => something
[mc_handling] => 2.06
[mc_handling1] => 1.67
[tax] => 2.02
[address_name] => John Smith
[last_name] => Smith
[receiver_id] => [email protected]
[verify_sign] => AFcWxV21C7fd0v3bYYYRCpSSRl31AobzmILiSL3iI17fizkVHoJ9qlAo
[address_country] => United States
[payment_status] => Completed
[address_status] => confirmed
[business] => [email protected]
[payer_email] => [email protected]
[notify_version] => 2.4
[txn_type] => cart
[test_ipn] => 1
[payer_status] => verified
[mc_currency] => USD
[mc_gross] => 15.34
[mc_shipping] => 3.02
[mc_shipping1] => 1.02
[item_number1] => AK-1234
[address_state] => CA
[mc_gross1] => 12.34
[payment_type] => instant
[address_street] => 123, any street
)

Edited by ''B''

If you don't see any PayPal requests for standard_ipn.php in your web server log files, it probably means PayPal have deactivated it for the seller account.

Processing IPN requests works as the simulator shows.

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald, my friend called Paypal and the guy she spoke to said that, in cases where multiple IPN's fail, they disable the IPN feature that the account holder activated themselves. That's the one you told me not to enable or input the standard_ipn.php URL. So basically, the two emails Deb received from them about disabling the IPN feature only had to do with something I (or she) never enabled anyways.

Somewhere there is a breakdown. And I'm not at all suggesting it's your code. Just something somewhere between my friend's website and Paypal is not jiving.

At this point, I don't know if there's anything else that can be done.

I went ahead and have now enabled the return URL feature as well as the IPN feature in my friend's Paypal account. It tests just fine and I am getting both the Paypal Verified and PayPal IPN Verified lines in the admin order history.

I turned off something in her account (I don't remember what it was now), that makes it so that the buyer is returned back to the merchant site without having to click a button to go back. So this almost eliminates the issues caused by the buyer closing the browser. There is a brief 5-10 period where PayPal displays a thank you page during which time the buyer is being redirected to the website's success page, but I'm hopeful that because that page displays so briefly, that no one will close the browser. If they do, then the issue with only one Paypal line showing up in the order history will occur (and the problems that come with it... no store email, item not removed from shopping cart, item not removed from site, etcetera). But I think that will be a minimal issue if any at all since again, the Paypal redirect page is so brief. This is the best its worked during this entire testing period so I think I'll have to run with it.

Thank you for all your help. I apologize if your time was wasted. But maybe some of the things we discussed in this thread will be helpful to other people, and that's a good thing, right?

Thank you for your attention and swift replies. I really appreciate it!!

Brenda

Edited by ''B''

Hi Harald... things have been going well with the Paypal payments since my last reply. Then yesterday, after a customer made a Paypal payment and was redirected back to the merchant website, instead of being returned to the checkout_success.php page, he was returned to his shopping cart and the item he purchased was still in his shopping cart. The item was not removed from the website and neither he nor my friend who owns the shop received a store receipt email. My friend verified that the money was indeed received in her PayPal account. After I looked through the raw access logs: I was able to verify that the files in bold ran successful, but the checkout_success.php page did not run, hence the failure of the order to go to full completion.

checkout_shipping.php

checkout_payment.php

checkout_confirmation.php

checkout_process.php

checkout_success.php

standard_ipn.php

The only thing that was different about this particular order is that the customer completed the order on a Smart Phone browser. Could that be why he ended back up in the shopping cart rather than the success page? The other orders I've been monitoring have been purchased using regular desktop/laptop computer browsers.

In the admin order details, only the Paypal IPN Verified line showed up. The Paypal Verified and the Processing line did not show up for his order.

I'm just trying to figure out why this happened and if it can be fixed.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ''B''

• 5 months later...

Ich habe auch das Problem, dass der Kunde nach der PayPal Zahlung zum Warenkorb zurückgeleitet wird. Der Artikel befindet sich dann auch noch darin. Ich nutze die ofizielle PayPal App mit OSC 2.3.4. Ich habe schon alles erdenkliche versucht und es scheint auch nirgends Hilfe zu geben. Vielleicht kann mir hier jemand weiterhelfen?

• 1 month later...

I'm having this exact same problem on a client site. I worked through everything mentioned in all 3 pages of this post, and have had no luck. Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this issue. To reiterate the issue:

Then yesterday, after a customer made a Paypal payment and was redirected back to the merchant website, instead of being returned to the checkout_success.php page, he was returned to his shopping cart and the item he purchased was still in his shopping cart. The item was not removed from the website and neither he nor my friend who owns the shop received a store receipt email. My friend verified that the money was indeed received in her PayPal account. After I looked through the raw access logs: I was able to verify that the files in bold ran successful, but the checkout_success.php page did not run, hence the failure of the order to go to full completion.

I've been working on this on and off for weeks. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

I am having the exact same problem where:  After the Paypal payment is made I wait until Paypal redirects. Instead of being returned to the checkout_success.php page, I was returned to the shopping cart and the item he purchased was still in his shopping cart. The correct redirect is set in PayPal. I installed the latest PayPal oscommerce add-on - http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9184

Prior to installing this latest PayPal addon I received the error message in oscommerce: 

Could not verify the PayPal transaction. Please try again.

Customer's payments were received and not. In my testing on 2.3.3.4 payment is always received, but that is with IE 11.0.9600.17959 browser. When asking customer's what OS, Browser they experience the problems with majority was Firefox latest version on Windows 7. I will test the behavior there and report back to this post. 

Same behavior in Firefox 40.0.2 where customer is sent back to the shopping cart. Removed within PayPal return to store as well as the Payment Data Transfer as had to. If you decide to return to oscommerce website from link provided by PayPal same behavior sent back to cart with item in it. 

I have used oscommerce for years without much trouble, but since 2.3.3.x upgrade the issues are too much. Due to security concerns I upgraded and also wanted to make sure that latest revisions were met.

I have started the migration away from oscommerce as support for basic operations such as Payment from the creator is lacking as seen in this post. Sorry Harald, but since "B" - Brenda did not get a response and "flashnob" who expressed in German same issue, but on latest 2.3.4 - In the latest Paypal add-on it states 2.3.5 its built-in. Where can I obtain this to test it? 

I will miss this product as the years invested and many custom options were utilized.