• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Does STS work with 2.3.4?

Starting a new store (first time working with 2.3.4) and having trouble installing STS.  Does anyone know if it is compatible with 2.3.4?  If not, is there another solution that works similar to STS?

Thanks!

Okay, I found in the contribution thread that STS is no longer compatible.  Bummer.  I know folks are recommending the use of ThemeRoller, though I'm not too familiar with it.  What I liked about STS was being able to design from scratch and then pop in the elements ("$cartbox", "$content") I want where I want them.  Is ThemeRoller still the best option for what I want/need?  Seems like I'd be starting with a design miles from what my end result would be. 

Lot has changed now since STS 

theme roller is just a starting point to get a basic colour and design then you need a hands on approach I would suggest you consider buying the book advertised here on the forum as it will save you a lot of time understanding the grid system that oscommerce now uses and kick start your design pretty good value not expensive well worth the money.

Worth reading the tips and tricks forum to get an idea lot of questions and answers there.

Also a really good commercial template system available if you like it quick 

also advertised here by osc partners

All in all small learning curve it is actually easier to change the design now so if you learnt STS do not think you will have much problem few days and you will be ready to go

Regards

Joli

PS: http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/  

Here you build the first theme just approximate all can be changed later in your stylesheet but best to get close to button colours etc from the start

Edited by joli1811
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I read through Gary Burton's free design book snippet, and it was REALLY helpful, so I purchased the full book and am working through it now.  So far, I highly recommend it for anyone trying to wrap their head around 960-grid and oscommerce.  Having fun playing with it, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.  Thanks again!