• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Going from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4 - Little SQL Changes?

Marvin Miller

Hi folks!

I'm running a fairly recent install of 2.3.3.4 with only minor changes and am thinking that perhaps I should migrate to 2.3.4 and try to stay current.

To that end, I was thinking of doing a parallel install - keep my 2.3.3.4 site running unmolested and then install 2.3.4 into a different directory/dB, such as, /store2

I was then thinking that, if there are only very minor differences between the dB's I could probably just point the new store to the existing dB and see what happens.

Looking through the upgrade docs (http://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes&v2_3_4) it almost seems that there are only two dB changes in the new release, support for blocking orders with no shipping & session lifetime changes.

If so, then my theory is that this could be really easy. Just install the new store and point it to the old dB and run two SQL scripts on that dB. 

Am I being naive? My store is mostly stock. There's been no large scale contributions added to it. What do you think - am I crazy or very sane?

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

That will work as long as you  make those two little changes in the database. Whether it's a good idea depends on how many changes you have made to your 2.3.3.4 store -- it may take more time to add those back than it would take to do the upgrade.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I've done similar things in the past. The only problem is testing the checkout procedure, if you have changes there , you are using your real database so you geet a mix of test and real orders.

Secondly, the dynamic modules will be disabled again when they are not found in the directory.

You might add any new ones under includes/modules but then they might also show up on your production site.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived