• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order law deleted ?

Gyakutsuki

Hi,

For example, in paypal standard for 2.3.4, if a customer take an order but don't realise the payment, the order is deleted if it go back on the website.

My question is simple.

Is it correct with the law because if the fiscal government realise a verification on the website, there is lot of order number will miss.

I don't know if it 's correct to delete an order same the payment is not realised.

My second question is also on marketing. When a customer don't realise a payment and the order is deleted, how to send an email to ask why he don't realised the payment, is it a pb with the payment system (paypal), or other thing ?

My opinion, he is better to have the order same is the payment is not realised. It's simple to ask to the customer why he don't released the payment and also create a confidence in the relation.

Thanks

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

If a payment is not made, is it an order?

Many countries ask that order numbers be different and in sequence:

30, 31, 32, 33

This also is different and in sequence:

30, 32, 33

31 not paid.

"If a payment is not made, is it an order?"

According to ebay yes !!  If it is legal no idea they tend to make their own rules (w00t)

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

It would be interesting to find out, for sure.

My feeling is that if a person pulls out of a purchase prior to making payment, that is not an order. Similar: I go into a shop, pick something up, queue at the checkout. Decide I don't have time to wait ...

the order not payed is a draft (virtual), like I can say. But he is registred inside osc like an real order, an order is a reference, a number.

The pb if the draft is deleted, it's like you have deleted an real order.

Concerning the law, it could be a pb because you can delete an order with payment or a draft order !

in France,the payment confimed could not be deleted, but I don't know for just an order not payed.

I think in Canada, it's the same thing.

That why I ask a question, is it better to save the draft order and insert a special order status ?

All the pb is save the order before the payment or not, create a confusion in the system ?

Regards
Loïc

I'm not sure I'm understanding what was asked in the original posting. If I read it correctly, the situation is that the customer bailed out at the payment step, and the question is what should be done with the "order"? If the customer is still in the store, I would let them try checking out again (perhaps with a different payment choice). If they've abandoned their shopping cart, it's up to the store to decide when to recover merchandise from the cart and restock the shelves. In that case, there's no need to preserve any order information, unless you want to contact the customer by email and survey (ask) them why they did not complete the transaction. That should certainly fall within the bounds of a "business relationship" and not run afoul of anti-spamming laws.

I'm confused by these references to "the law". Can you be more specific? If someone abandons their filled shopping cart/trolley/basket in a real store, the store has no obligation to them. For the purposes of building good customer relationships and improving customer experience, it would be nice to know what the problem was. So long as the customer did not actually have money drawn from their account (or charged to their credit card) in return for nothing, I can't imagine any case where a store would be legally required to hang on to information. Are you concerned that contacting the customer would be considered spamming?

Hi Phil

I think he's talking about one or other of the payment modules (I think PayPal IPN in 2.3 is one) that will create the order prior to the customer leaving & going to PayPal.

If they bail at PayPal with no attempt to make a transaction then the order 'hangs' with a pending status.

If they click the 'cancel and return to store' link then the module will refill the cart and delete the order. That leaves a gap in the consecutive order numbers in the backend. Some EU countries do stipulate that this is not allowed - it's OK in the UK to do it but if you are running an internal/external audit on the accounts then they may come across this and highlight it (as it is bad practice and HMRC may come down at some point and ask you to account for the missing order - obviously they are suggesting that you're avoiding declaring some earnings).

France and (I think Germany) both stipulate that you should use sequential invoice numbers - so for the above circumstances you have to conjure up some other way of recording the 'non orders' - easiest way is not to delete the order on return but edit the payment module to change the order status to one that the customer cannot see in his account and then restock the cart. Where a customer just bails then you're still stuck with the offsite 'will he, won't he pay? Should I cancel the pending order in the backend?' quandry.

As to Ebay - they are correct in that their site clearly states that you are entering into a contract when you place the order - however the chances are that nobody is seeking to enforce such a contract (especially with the new distance selling rules) but it is, in UK contract law at least, an enforceable contract but with the eBay bias to the customer there seems to be no real penalty for not paying up - likewise your average online store owner I'd reckon is not likely to try and enforce

Hi bob,

tk you for your response, That's I am searching.

In that case, in 2.3.4, the paypal standard IPN developped by HPDL can be a problem. To resolve this point, we must put in comment this line :

line 104 to 113

/*

if (tep_db_num_rows($check_query) < 1) {

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_TOTAL . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_DOWNLOAD . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_session_unregister('cart_PayPal_Standard_ID');

}

*/

and line 150 to 157

/*

if (tep_db_num_rows($check_query) < 1) {

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_TOTAL . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

tep_db_query('delete from ' . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_DOWNLOAD . ' where orders_id = "' . (int)$order_id . '"');

}

*/

Regards
Loïc

• 4 weeks later...

I think if payment is not made than order number can not be proceed anyway. Weather It's a Paypal or any e-commerce website. When you shop product from online than you have to pay for it. So, you can get mail of particular order number.

Archived