• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reviews under reinterpretation - why is it outdated?

tgely

Hi all,

I dont want to be wiseacre disappear but have found a lot of problem with reviews system in oscommerce. So i try to mention personal opinion about it.

My critics are the folllowing..

For review need prehistory of products. Probably the reviewer has product experriencies and can say something about it. osCommerce shop follows orders? No.

osCommerce use the login force to make review which is a very bad behaviour with a press button. There would be better  inform reviews after login as neither force login write reviews.

Could customer found easy the reviews system to take a review? Hm..

Which customers write review? Basicly nobody unless somebody ask them. Do you remember to write a review yourself after 3 weeks of order?

Could customers manage the self reviews in account? No.

Are there any contribution for reviews? Yes but I dont find effective solution for it. I am not the supporter to write reviews as admin. I dont like to implement outside ajax applications to give out my shop commercial data.

What would be better?

First of all oscommerce has another problem. When I tried to rewrite of reviews system just realised that attributes system are not followed in reviews.. When I listed the ordered products by customers the attributes take a limit of options.

How could customers reviews reflected to attributes? This main conflict founded between attributes and stocks too. V3 can handle this conflict with parent-child connections but we are producing in v2 at this moment.

The best way would be to prevent option's conflict when connect attributes to reviewed product. How could we integrate the previous listed requirements?

As @@burt mentioned in oscommerce appears to be totaly outdated topic I have to aggree with him. Previously I take a reflection about his post but I re-evaluated my opinion now.

I have started to work out an alpha review module system for oscommerce.

under test mode

- ask pseudo review form in email after specified order status and date limit

- cron management

- alternative html reviews page for emails on http server

- display statistical page from emails

post-241134-0-15306500-1403358578_thumb.png

under construction for v2.3.4

- implement review modules in customer account focused on ordered products

- implement review box for product_info page with microformats

- change login logic to inform customers about reviews

- enable reviews vote for visitors

Known other conflicts: order language is not figured out in the core. To see in my github repo

Estimated full reviews modul will be work out for v2.4 system

If you have any question or remark it is free to write here.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

- implement review modules in customer account focused on ordered products

- change login logic to inform customers about reviews

These two are likely very similar. When the person logs in, popup a messagestack asking them to review previously bought products...which links to a new page in the account.

Should we allow a person to change their review in the future ?

- implement review box for product_info page with microformats

I like how we display the reviews in the Bootstrap build, shown in product_info page.

Logged in customer needs to have bought the product from your shop prior to reviewing it (there is some legality around this in the UK, but I cannot remember the exact law). We should be stopping reviews totally other then from those customers who are logged in and have bought the product...otherwise it is a false review. I will try to find the law if I can, I may well have dreamed it.

- enable reviews vote for visitors

Amazon do something quite nice; "did this review help you", thumbs up, thumbs down.

@@Gergely I currently use the mailbeez review reminder system - seems to work well

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@Mort-lemur mailbeez can handle my customers language? It looks like only german and english languages used.

@@burt
The reviews change wont be allowed. But I put the reviews managment into customer account which is based on ordered products.

post-241134-0-80737200-1403385350_thumb.png

post-241134-0-82780000-1403385367_thumb.png

The review request page can be linked directly from outside, ie in email or something else..

The full reviews can be displayed only for loged in customers. Non loged can read only the first 100 characters.

Yes the vote system similar to amazon.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@Gergely Yes - the reminder email text is customiseable via the header, footer and body parts of the mail templates.

When it sends a reminder, the customer gets a mail (text as you have chosen) showing images of the items he has bought with links to them. There is also opt-out links, social links etc on the email.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@Mort-lemur if I have two different language localised shop can mailbeez use two different language focused on customers language?