• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Drop down state selection and 2334bs3

In both 2334bs3 and the stock osC, when a user is, say, creating an account, the State field is a free-for-all. Only after the user enters something that isn't correct does the drop-down option become enabled.

I'd like to have it so that the drop-down selection is enabled when the user first begins to fill out the form. I have already defined the USA as the default country (I think).

I have looked at several add-ons, but most seem to be for earlier versions of osC (and none for bootstrap). I've just spent most of today mucking with one that went so far as to replace the Zones table (w00t) Even so, I wasn't able to get it to work.

Ideally, I'd also like to do this with the Active Country add-on:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3607

but this too is for an older version of osC, and is not bootstrap friendly.

Thanks!

Malcolm

• 8 months later...

Hi Thomas

I use DHTML State Selection

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6975

This is something that always bugged me too. Once you fill out the form and click on the continue button it kicks you back with an error message and a suddenly a new dropdown for the state.

This DHTML State Selection does a great Job if the country has states it will show a dropdown if not then just an empty input field. And it pre-selects the country that is setup in the primary address.

It is really not hard to install mostly cosmetic/visual stuff. Remove table, tr and td tags and replace with bootstrap style.

The only downside in using that addon is you won't be able to use the option "Allow Orders Not Matching Defined Shipping Zones". I don't use that option so it is no problem for me.

@@drillsar Thomas,

As I mentioned, I ended up kit-bashing code from both of the mentioned add-ons to get it to work the way I wanted. And, as @@Tsimi mentioned, other add-ons also gives this function.

I went my way because I wanted the ability to enable (and disable) countries and states from within the Admin area. The Active Countries add-on gave me this.

You may notice that many websites have the country as one of the first fields the user must select. This makes it easier when the user moves through the form, as the state options will have already been defined by selecting the country first.

Malcolm

i got the ajax one working I think. I always had problems with the difference between <div> and <tables>. The only thing I can't find why this is being displayed is ENTRY_STATE_TEXT I dont want that to display.

http://giftbound.x10host.com/create_account.php

You think it's better to move the country up than in the form?

You guys use MVS contribution or no? I am almost done but the checkout shipping page is creating me problems. Another thing I noticed that there is a refresh button. You can use ajax to auto update cart correct instead of refresh?

@@drillsar

Just tried several countries in your sample site. Seems to be working, pulling up the appropriate 'states' when there are any in your database. There are a couple of small formatting/layout issues, though.

I don't see a ENTRY_STATE_TEXT issue. Usually, that's a problem with something not being defined in a language file. Seems to be fixed now.

Having the country up in the form is a personal preference. Your Ajax version seems to work where it is.

Malcolm

You guys use MVS contribution or no? I am almost done but the checkout shipping page is creating me problems. Another thing I noticed that there is a refresh button. You can use ajax to auto update cart correct instead of refresh?

No, I've not used MVS.

Malcolm

FWIW ... I have my screen set to 1024x768, which Bootstrap considers 'Medium'. I just looked at your site again, and it was still the same as my screenshot above. I even refreshed the cache ... no change. I then changed my resolution to 1280x1024 (Large), and your site looked fine. I then started playing with shrinking the viewport, and it seemed to be working. Then, something on your site crashed ...

1146 - Table 'giftboun_store.TABLE_VENDOR_CONFIGURATION' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from TABLE_VENDOR_CONFIGURATION

[TEP STOP]

I'm guessing you're still working on it. :rolleyes:

So, maybe it was me and my computer. <shrug>

Malcolm

I am working on MVS contribution. I got it working now just a few display issues to deal with. I like to get products in a box. Also the shipping address displayed differently. I am receiving the orders, etc. When U add two more orders from vendors is a issue that I am fixing at the moment.

I just wanted to get everything working than try to fix on how it displays. I am trying to decide if I should go Ajax fast checkout or simple checkout route. I know with both of them will be a challenge to get MVS to work. On the cart itself do you know what contribution or something I can do in order to not use refresh button when changing qty? I rather have like you add 2 to cart and auto refresh total. If that makes sense.

I added IP Trap which I suggest. It's very easy and can add security to your site

• 3 weeks later...

Since I found the state selection - like some others - extremely frustrating and annoying I tried different solutions for that, among others DHTML State Selection for 2.3.1.  I got it to work somehow, but it was very arkward, much too complicated and in some cases I got very interesting results :x. 

OK, I thought this must be to make it even easier! And yes, it is:

1. ) I recommend to change e.g. in create_account.php the order from state - country to country - state. This is not necessary, but to me it seems more logical.

2. ) In create_account.php find: 

echo tep_get_country_list('country', NULL, 'required aria-required="true" id="inputCountry"');

change it to:

echo tep_get_country_list('country', NULL, 'onChange="getState(this.value)" required aria-required="true" id="inputCountry"');

3. ) In create_account.php find: 

<?php
  if (ACCOUNT_STATE == 'true') {
?>
    <div class="form-group has-feedback">
      <label for="inputState" class="control-label col-sm-3"><?php echo ENTRY_STATE; ?></label>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
        if ($process == true) {
          if ($entry_state_has_zones == true) {
            $zones_array = array();
            $zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "' order by zone_name");
            while ($zones_values = tep_db_fetch_array($zones_query)) {
              $zones_array[] = array('id' => $zones_values['zone_name'], 'text' => $zones_values['zone_name']);
            }
            echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('state', $zones_array, 0, 'id="inputState"');
            echo FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT;
          } else {
            echo tep_draw_input_field('state', NULL, 'id="inputState" placeholder="' . ENTRY_STATE . '"');
          }
        } else {
          echo tep_draw_input_field('state', NULL, 'id="inputState" placeholder="' . ENTRY_STATE    . '"');
        }
        if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_STATE_TEXT)) echo '<span class="help-block">' . ENTRY_STATE_TEXT . '</span>';
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>
<?php
  }
?>

change it to:

<?php
?>
      <label for="inputState" class="control-label col-sm-3"><?php echo ENTRY_STATE; ?></label>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
         echo '<span id="results">';
          echo tep_draw_input_field('state', NULL, 'id="inputState" placeholder="' . ENTRY_STATE    . '"');
         echo '</span>';

if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_STATE_TEXT)) echo '<span class="help-block">' . ENTRY_STATE_TEXT . '</span>';
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>
<?php
  }
?>

4. )  Add to footer.php (maybe it would also work if you add it to template_bottom.php - I didn't test it!)

<script>
function getState(str){
var xhr = false;
if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
} else {
xhr = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
}

if (xhr) {
xhr.onreadystatechange = function () {
if (xhr.readyState == 4 && xhr.status == 200) {
document.getElementById("results").innerHTML = xhr.responseText;
}
}
xhr.open("GET", "get_states.php?st="+str, true);
xhr.send(null);
}
}
</script>

5. ) Create a new file catalog/get_states.php: 

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2015 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
require('includes/application_top.php');

$state = ($_GET['st']);
     $check_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$state . "'");
     $check = tep_db_fetch_array($check_query);
     $entry_state_has_zones = ($check['total'] > 0);

$zones_array = array();
          $zones_array[0] = array('id' => '0', 'text' => PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT);                        
          $zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from zones where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$state . "' order by zone_name");
             $zones_array[] = array('id' => $zones_values['zone_name'], 'text' => $zones_values['zone_name']);
             }
            echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('state', $zones_array, '', 'id="inputState"');
             } else {
            echo tep_draw_input_field('state', NULL, 'id="inputState" placeholder="' . ENTRY_STATE . '"');
             }
?>
There are a few other files, such as includes/modules/checkout_new_address.php or includes/modules/address_book_details.php, in which the states pulldown is used. There the same changes as in the create_account must be carried out.

I know that this feature requires changes to core files. But sometimes this simply can not be avoided.....

Tested with BS-gold!

J.J.

• 1 month later...

@@De Dokta,

Thank you, works great.

I added the following modification to create_account.php to get the store country selected by default and show the store country states menu:

// Country-State Selector 
  if (!isset($_GET['st'])) {
  	$country = STORE_COUNTRY;
  }

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_top.php');
  require('includes/form_check.js.php');
?>

<label for="inputCountry" class="control-label col-sm-3"><?php echo ENTRY_COUNTRY; ?></label>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
        echo tep_get_country_list('country', $country, 'onChange="getState(this.value)" required aria-required="true" id="inputCountry"');
        if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT)) echo '<span class="help-block">' . ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT . '</span>';
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>

<?php
?>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
        $check_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "'");

$zones_array = array();
          $zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from zones where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "' order by zone_name");
            }
            echo '</span>';
        } else {
        	echo '</span>';
          echo '</span>';
        }
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>
<?php
  }
?>

Sorry,

there was a small error in the above posted snippet:

instead of:

echo '</span>';

above the input field:

<label for="inputCountry" class="control-label col-sm-3"><?php echo ENTRY_COUNTRY; ?></label>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
        echo tep_get_country_list('country', $country, 'onChange="getState(this.value)" required aria-required="true" id="inputCountry"');
        if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT)) echo '<span class="help-block">' . ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT . '</span>';
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>

<?php
?>
      <div class="col-sm-9">
        <?php
        $check_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "'");

$zones_array = array();
          $zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from zones where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "' order by zone_name");
            }
            echo '</span>';
        } else {
          echo tep_draw_input_field('state', NULL, 'id="inputState"');
          echo '</span>';
        }
        ?>
      </div>
    </div>
<?php
  }
?>

And here the header tag module with the javascript (language and main file)

hello @@De Dokta,

I prepared this for all files where needed, shall I pack it in an Add-On and upload or would you like to do it.

I would included the store country default selection optional in a header tag setting.

regards

Rainer

Archived