• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing Currency & Language at Checkout Pages

Moxamint

Changing language should not be a problem and, as far as I can see, changing the currency should not be either.

You will need to ensure the currency conversion rates are updated regularly and the calculated price enables you to make a profit once the payment has been converte to your currency.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

So long as this is the choice of the customer, and not something you impose on them at the last moment, I can't see any legal barriers to doing this. If your catalog was listed in US Dollars, and during checkout it suddenly turns to, say, ZA Rands all by itself, customers would have an issue that they're not sure what they're paying. Still, if you allow a switch, how can a customer be sure you're not ripping them off, even if they can see the entire shopping cart in the new currency? How can you be sure that the new prices aren't costing you money, with fluctuating exchange rates, exchange fees, and all that? That would still apply even if currencies were changed at the very beginning of the shopping experience.

@@Moxamint Be sure the company you are using to process payments allows the possible currencies. They may not. Also be sure to keep the exchange rates updated. You can do that manually but it is better to do it automatically with an addon since they change often. See the Auto Update Currencies addon for that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you guys for the very helpful information!

@@geoffreywalton - I was just wondering why osC disables those two boxes by default during the checkout. I do update the currency exchange rates daily.

@@MrPhil - I do let the customers choose the currency themselves. I also plan to provide them with a chart of exchange rates (using the closing prices of the previous day so it's not fluctuating during the present day) so they know I am not ripping them off.

@@Jack_mcs - I am using PayPal, which allows me to receive payments in multiple currencies. PayPal charges me the same amount of conversion fee (by a fix percentage) regardless the currency of the payment I receive, because ALL currencies are alien currency to Taiwan. The currency conversion server has never worked for me, so I have to download the rate chart from FOREX and update the currencies manually.

Cheers, Eddy

Archived